WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intrigued by bronze cases for quite awhile. As a diver and fan of all things nautical, a bronze diver seemed a logical addition to the collection. And the gold-like color is a look I really enjoy. However, I've never been a fan of the "vintage patina' look many vintage watches get, and feared the bronze would be no different and I'd constantly be cleaning it to restore to it's original color. Well I decided to "man up" and give it a try and so I sold off another watch to fund it and not too long ago picked up a nice preowned from one of our great members here.

I really liked the watch from the second I saw it. It's a great look, and looked great on the wrist. I cleaned it a few times, and wasn't sure which way I liked it. I'd had a dive trip to Boca Raton / Pompano Beach planned, so I decided to take it with me and get it where it was designed to be - Diving! Here's the results of the case reaction to the salt water after diving.....

Started the trip with the watch just cleaned with the Brasso. Brand new looking!

Took it down for about 2 hours under the sea. Here's what she looked like after about 20 minutes out of the water. Showing some reactions...

35 minutes out of the water it's showing more reactions.

40 minutes it's peaking and showing lots if color. Amazing how fast it's changing, WOW!!

After an hour it starts to 'tone down' the colors and stabilize...

And after 2 hours it really stabilizes out, but still with lots of color variation. It has almost an iridescent look to the color..

Well I was curious to see what the afternoon dives would do to the look. So once I got back in the water & down to depth I checked it out.

The salt water 'cleaned it up" again!

But of course once I got out of the water, the reaction above started all over again. And after being out of the water again for about 4 1/2 hours she looks like this..

And 5 1/2 hours later the reaction has muted down quite a bit.....

Lastly, after 72 hours it's just a hint of the reaction and the 'effect' is very uniform.

So what do I think? Honestly I was quite worried about how it would look when I first got it out of the salt water & the reaction was at it's peak. But is it aged & stabilized I really like it. It's very subdued and quite unique looking. In fact I've put the Brasso away & will keeping it the way it is. :thumbup1:

I hope you like the pictures. So, what do you think?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Very cool! I love the patina'd look. It looks like you've gone and used a diving watch for.....gasp......diving! Love it love it love it. :thumbup1:

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
Wasn't too keen on the immediate rainbow effect, but the final coloration looks totally cool. :thumbup1:

It looks like you've gone and used a diving watch for.....gasp......diving!
I know! What's next - people using chronographs to time sporting events? :scared: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
:confused1: ???...does "Waiting For The Pizza Delivery Guy" qualify as a sporting event if there's a group of us involved? :confused1:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea of intentionally tarnishing a watch case, but you're right...it does look pretty cool after stabilization. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'd love to see it in person...not entirely sure how I feel about it. I know that patina was the big thing about a bronze watch...not sure I don't like shiny better.

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
I'd love to see it in person...not entirely sure how I feel about it. I know that patina was the big thing about a bronze watch...not sure I don't like shiny better.
Rob, think of it as you would a 4 wheel drive truck with mud all over it - it's being used like it was meant to be used and proudly shows so. It can always be cleaned up later if the owner desires.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!! :thumbup1:

Very cool! I love the patina'd look. It looks like you've gone and used a diving watch for.....gasp......diving! Love it love it love it. :thumbup1:
I know, don't tell anyone or I may have to give my WIS-membership card back! LOL! Actually every one of my divers has been diving. I've rotated them thru my dive trips so they all get some bottom time on them... :thumbup1:

Wasn't too keen on the immediate rainbow effect, but the final coloration looks totally cool. :thumbup1:
Yea, I wasn't liking that either. Before it 'reversed' I thought I'd have to find a store with Brasso that night!

I hear what you're saying Rob. Frankly it was the reason I'd waited so long to get one as I too like the shiny "new" look on a watch. But I think you'd like this look. The last 2 pics are how it looks now, and as usual the close-up of the watch exaggerates how it really looks. The color swabs are a bit more muted in person than the pictures show. And the good news is 3-5 minutes with Brasso & a rag and the watch will have that brand-new look again. If I hadn't gone diving it took about 2 weeks to get a patina effect, so if you were OK with cleaning once every two weeks or so you could keep the 'new & shiny' look going.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
That initial strong colour was a bit much for me too, but it looks much better "toned down" a bit. It will be interesting to see how it grows into its own skin, so to speak, with the patina. In general I like a nice new shiny watch, but I think that these bronze watches will look much better aged and rugged, like a real too watch. Imagine an old bronze diving helmet, they look nice shiny, but an old aged one looks cool too.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
I can't shake the 'ethos' that any operational equipment should be maintained to a high standard (ex-military, I can't help it).
I would counter the 'muddy' 4WD analogy by saying that it shows poor maintenance, and is often a sign of the weekend poser, not a serious off-roader. After a good session of bush-bashing or off-roading, the vehicle gets washed and inspected for anything loose, any damage that needs repair, etc. Mud = corrosion, not a badge of honour.
So, although I would have no hesitation in taking that great-looking watch under the sea like you have, I would probably find myself digging out the brasso when I finished the dive trip and returned home. I know the patina will have no effect on the functionality of the watch, but I wouldn't be able to help myself cleaning it up sooner or later :001_rolleyes:.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thanks for the great timeline with pictures. I really enjoyed watching the patina form. I am not a diver and my Bronso watch is changing very slowly!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love it ! Thanks for sharing the pictures, I can't believe how quickly it developed a patina. I've so got to get a bronze watch....

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so this AM I decided to wipe the watch down with just a cloth and it 'cleaned' up a little. Since I've read waxing the case can 'freeze' the patina as it provides a protective barrier I decided to give it a try. So I pulled out the Maguiar's pure Carnauba wax and gave it 2 coats. As with any wax, it did remove a little of the oxidation and left just a hint of the discoloration. Actually I really like the new subtle look. Here's the results:

Before wiping and waxing:

After:

And a new "just taken" wrist shot back on the leather strap:

Again, the picture probably exaggerates the effect some, but I really like the very subtle variation on the case now... Hopefully the coats of wax will help keep it that way for awhile. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
15,309 Posts
But is it aged & stabilized I really like it. It's very subdued and quite unique looking. In fact I've put the Brasso away & will keeping it the way it is.
LOL, did you say 'subdued' ???:lol::lol:

BTW, very nice pictorial report and I like it now better with the 'after Carnuba' version..:thumbup1:

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Scott I really like the look of that watch, I'd probably let it patina, but then again it does look very nice cleaned up. not sure how I'd treat it but I might find out.:thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts