WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved my watch 5th of Jan, and i love it. I did some forums seaches befor buying, and am very satisfied. I owned a Rolex 14060 ( present from dad on 18th Bday) and 10yrs later it was stolen from my luggage at one of three airports i passed through. Anyway... i got this as an hommage to my stolen rolex. Like i said i'm very satisfied but have a question. From what i gathered both crystals i.e. front and back, are saphire. At work i keep my watch in my pocket and this eve i noticed a little scratch on the back display crystal? Its not the end of the world but just would like to know how that could have happened cus i don't carry diamonds around. It looks as if the scratch came from the braclet, cus it lines up too nicely. I'm not sending it in for a scartch, but just feel like ya can't trust anything anymore. Don't sell it as saphire if its not, just say mineral crystal that scratches. Any feedback?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Welcome to the Orginal Invicta Forum!

Hmmm. Haven't heard that one before, but hey, I'm pretty new around here myself. I'm sure some of the old timers here will weigh in on this.

Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just noticed a small scratch on my 3824 (also sapphire front / back). I wondered the same thing. No one but me will ever notice it and I would rather have it on the front then back

·
Registered
865 Posts
Peculiar. Have you tried the old water drop test on the crystal? I'd be surprised if they stuck a mineral crystal on the caseback, but stranger things have happened.

I guess if you really need to know (and I'd want to), take it to a jeweler. Best of luck, welcome to the forum, and let us know how it turns out.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I believe they are Sapphire front, Mineral back. I thought I read somewhere that Jim Skelton corrected himself one night. And Revolution, what is the water drop test?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I pulled this from another forum, but here are the basics.

"Clean the crystal throughly and then put a measured drop of water on it. It's best to use a syringe or eye dropper. On sapphire, the water droplet beads up into almost a ball. On mineral glass, the drop flattens and tends to migrate away from the point of impact."

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Could it be the famous "sapphire coated" crystal??
(I've never really understood sapphire coating)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the warm welcome to WTF, everyone's opinions and feedback actualy helped me decide on my 4469. Like i said in original post, i'm not gonna send it in cus a little scratch, but i know that i'm not gonna show the exhibition back off like i used to. Man i was showing it off like crazy, every time someone would ask about it i'd take it off and flaunt, than i'd be like "did you see the back? ya can't get that with a rolex", and people love it. I'm gonna buy that stuff that swatch sells to fix scratches, wax on wax off, and hope it does the trick. Anyway... thanx again for all the feed back, and again for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think the sapphire coating is a way to make the very top of the crystal scratch resistant but give the impact resistance of mineral. It isn't coated but Sapphire front and mineral back. It'd be a lot to expect to see a $300 watch have dual sapphires.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
This is what Invicta has to say about the 4469 on its site.

Nothing I can find anywhere suggests that the skeleton back is sapphire.

Movement: Swiss made 26 jewel automatic

Case and dial: 45mm * Surgical grade solid stainless steel case * Ionic gun metal plating * Unidirectional turning bezel * Screw down stainless steel exhibition case back * Screw down security crown * Sunray dial * Anti-reflective sapphire crystal with magnifier * Tritnite® luminous hands and indexes * Date display

Band: Surgical grade solid stainless steel with diver buckle and safety clasp * Ionic gun metal plating

Water resistant: 300 meters

http://www.invictawatch.com/
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=invicta+watch&btnG=Search

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I copied and pasted that information from the Invicta site.

I can't get a url to that page, but if you go to the site, click Collections, Search, then Find It Fast, and punch in the model number, you'll see the same information.

http://www.invictawatch.com/

·
Registered
788 Posts
I did the water test last night on m 4469, Sapphire front, Mineral back is my conclusion. And for some reason they don't have the right dial listed on their website??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what Invicta has to say about the 4469 on its site.

Nothing I can find anywhere suggests that the skeleton back is sapphire.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=invicta+watch&btnG=Search
Ok i understand this, but nothing i can find anywhere suggests that the exhibition back is Mineral Crystal.

This is the question:

#1 By the ommision of information regarding the exhibition back am i to assume that it was a mineral crystal?

Or

#2 Is it by the supplied information regarding "Sapphire Crystal" that i was to assume that the exhibition back was mineral crystal?

Hmmmmmmmm...............

I would just have liked, not to have to assume anything.

Like i said in the original post, I am not sending the watch in due to a little scratch on the exhibition back crystal. And although i inspect not once, not twice but thrice befor i buy something, anything that happens when it's in my care i take responcibility for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts