WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a question, I had my 3824 sitting on the armrest on my chair, when I got up my daughter sat in the chair and of course she sent the watch flying on to the carpeted floor. I have checked the watch over the past week and a half and it is now running fast. I am sure that it is because of it falling off of the chair but the gains are odd
+ 3.5/3.5 second gain
+ 9/5.5 second gain
+ 11/2 second gain
+ 14.5/ 3.5 second gain
I know this falls within Rolex’s specs of +6/-4 seconds per day but after having my watch settle down to +1 second every 2 to 3 days I am a little more than disappointed :mad: that it is now out by this much. I guess the only way to get it back to where it was it to have it regulated by my watchmaker. But I don’t understand the fluctuations in the daily gains in time. Will it settle down again? Can I get some help from any automatic experts out there? I am pretty sure one of the first comments will be “don’t leave your watches on the armrest of your chair again”…lol Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
What time frame are the gains over, 24hr? Are you using the same source, like the time.gov website or other reliable place to syncronize it to?

I am not an expert, but, I would make sure the gains are not attributed to something other than the watch. If you watchmaker has an email addr., it may be an easy answer from the expert himself! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey 13echo,
Yes it is over a 24 hour period and I am using the same source for syncing the watch. It's the inconsistent gains that bother me. I have been wearing my 4473 every day since it came in so basically my 3824 comes out of the watch winder I check it against the Gov. Time website, I then wind it and it goes back into the winder. So essentially it routine is exactly the same every day.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That does seem strange. Maybe the winder has something to do with the fluxuation vs. when it was on your wrist. But, that is a wacky guess on my part. :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If I were you, I'd stop obsessing about it for awhile.

My experience with my automatic is that it's a little like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. You can't observe without affecting the observed.

Automatic watches lose or gain time according to how tightly wound the main spring is.

I'd set the time and wear it normally and check it in a week, or check it every day if you want to, but the main thing is to look at the accuracy over the long haul.

When I first got my 8926, I was always checking to see how far off it was and resetting it. Now, I just let it run and over the long run, it stays pretty close to right for an automatic. If I notice that it's losing time I wind it manually and it always catches up in a day or so.

I don't want to call your mental status into question, but when we worry too much about something, our perception becomes distorted and we don't take into account all the important variables.

When you're talking about automatic watches, there are a lot of variables.

That's why quartz is my preference.

So, to recap, if after a week or more the time is really screwed up, take it in for a check up, but relax in the mean time.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to call your mental status into question, but when we worry too much about something, our perception becomes distorted and we don't take into account all the important variables.
My Mental status?? I hope you were referring to my obsessing and nothing more?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Oh, I thought my mental status was being called into question.... Knock Knock Knock, Dr. Rusty, let me back in the looney bin!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
That was half joke and half clinical.

Clinically, mental status is how you're functioning at the time of evaluation and that would include any obsessions.

The main point is too relax and see how the watch does over time.

Frankly, I think your mental status is within normal limits, and that's a compliment. :D

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess all I am saying is I am frustrated with the fact that it was dead on after the 1 month waiting period for the watch to settle down. I just hope it settles down again. The obsessing is part of my character, I do it in other areas of my life and I have a tough time switching it off. Many times I wish I could.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:)

mr Falcon,

I may have missed this point but you said it settled down to an acceptable timekeeping standard after a month, did you check for variations everyday at that time? I would suggest going about your normal routine but only checking the +/- rate after 1 week and averaging the daily +or - at that time.

different activities, motions can affect each individual daily rate so an average over a week is usually a good indicator of performance..I have noticed per day variances before..

and it sounds like if your variation per day went on average from +1 to +3.5 per day you may need a regualtion to bring it back..

diver88:):)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I should have just asked whether or not the watch will settle down again after being dropped? Hopefully this question will not result in doubts about my mental status. Yes I'm obsessive and it's not going to change...lol

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I wonder what effect bungie jumping would have on an automatic.. One day at Cedar Point, that sucker would be off the charts!!!!:w00t:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am petrified of heights. I can't stand up without getting dizzy spells. I went on a trip years ago to see the Grand Canyon and literally I was on my hands and knees looking over the edge. I couldn't care less who saw me. I was not going to stand up, I am sure that vertigo would have sent me over the edge.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That is all the more reason to do something that breaks those boundries. I have never been called "bent", but I think I like it.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is all the more reason to do something that breaks those boundaries. I have never been called "bent", but I think I like it.
I think you and Rusty should get together and do a stand up routine.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Echo's new motto for 08, "Bent, but not Broken". In honor of Falcon.

Rusty who??? (just kidding:scared:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lets make it a Forum Field trip. Wear your grand divers, one on each wrist and take the PLUNGE!!!
I can only think of two things that fall out of the sky!!:lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts