WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked this up from ebay a few years ago--an NOS 1958 23-jewel bulova that had been stored away in indiana, never used--and it just took a little cleaning to get back up to speed. the best looker among my vintage bulovas (or maybe even all my watches), i think:

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
Whoadang!
That's a NICE Bulova. I really like the all-white dial...it's even better, IMO, than the two-tone. :thumbup1:
I thought it looked familiar but it took a few minutes to click. A Trebor's Vintage Watches (one of our Sponsors) sold a similar one not that long ago. Along with a 2-toned dial, the case is slightly different at the lugs, and it is the minute track that is textured as opposed to the inner dial on yours. But as I said: I prefer yours!
Maybe you can start collecting the different variations of this model!

....(this photo copied directly from A Trebor's website)

Reactions: alton1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
many thanks, guys, and that's a nice one, too, comethunter. i think some of bulova's creations at the time may have been a bit much, especially in the lugs department, but now and then they hit a real winner. i collect mostly hamiltons now but always come back to this bulova when i want to feel good while looking at a watch ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
...i think some of bulova's creations at the time may have been a bit much, especially in the lugs department, but now and then they hit a real winner.
Yeah, but just keep in mind that while today we say "Now why in the world did thet decide to do THAT", back then it was a natural progression in watch case styling. Sorta like the tail fins on cars. And the manufacturers never know if they've made a styling mistake or not until after that model hits the retailer's display case.
Having said that, I could probably find a few pieces I wouldn't give a second look either!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
......I go back and forth betwen Bulova and Hamilton .as far as styling goes .,.....I do like those 2 best of all when it comes to styles....and the extreme ones .......

well I have been called extreme before......so I like'em.....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Whoadang!
That's a NICE Bulova. I really like the all-white dial...it's even better, IMO, than the two-tone. :thumbup1:
I thought it looked familiar but it took a few minutes to click. A Trebor's Vintage Watches (one of our Sponsors) sold a similar one not that long ago. Along with a 2-toned dial, the case is slightly different at the lugs, and it is the minute track that is textured as opposed to the inner dial on yours. But as I said: I prefer yours!
Maybe you can start collecting the different variations of this model!

....(this photo copied directly from A Trebor's website)
I have one of those:

The model is called 'His Excellency', and there were a number of them. The next-to-last image on this page is a 1958 ad for them.

This particular model, the His Excellency F, came with a wonderful leather and gold-filled Kreisler expansion bracelet. I've been looking for one for mine, but only found it in white gold.

A collection of His Excellency models from a particular year would be great, and probably not too terribly expensive to put together (mine cost $50). Original bands/bracelets would be icing on that cake!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeah, but just keep in mind that while today we say "Now why in the world did thet decide to do THAT", back then it was a natural progression in watch case styling. Sorta like the tail fins on cars. And the manufacturers never know if they've made a styling mistake or not until after that model hits the retailer's display case.
Having said that, I could probably find a few pieces I wouldn't give a second look either!
That's what makes collecting watches from that era so cool - they really represent the enthusiasm and audacity of the time! These Bulovas, the Hamilton Electrics, Elgins 'Horizon Look' styling all display that kind of futuristic style.

Look at the cars of the era, especially the top-of-the-line cars like Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials - they were outrageous! Fins, lights on little stalks, big chrome bumpers molded in wild shapes! I used to look at them and think 'How ugly! How excessive!', but now 50+ years later, and with half a century of history lived through, the innocent exuberance of the time is very appealing!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
i picked this up from ebay a few years ago--an NOS 1958 23-jewel bulova that had been stored away in indiana, never used--and it just took a little cleaning to get back up to speed. the best looker among my vintage bulovas (or maybe even all my watches), i think:

Love that look! :001_wub: I agree 100% with Gene Jockey.
That's what makes collecting watches from that era so cool - they really represent the enthusiasm and audacity of the time! These Bulovas, the Hamilton Electrics, Elgins 'Horizon Look' styling all display that kind of futuristic style.

Look at the cars of the era, especially the top-of-the-line cars like Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials - they were outrageous! Fins, lights on little stalks, big chrome bumpers molded in wild shapes! I used to look at them and think 'How ugly! How excessive!', but now 50+ years later, and with half a century of history lived through, the innocent exuberance of the time is very appealing!
That's the same thing that always comes to my mind when I see these vintage Bulovas, Hamiltons, and Elgins! I thought I was the only one who made that association when looking at 1950s and early-1960s American watches! :laugh: I think of those old Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Chrysler Imperials (one of my uncles had 2 of these). and I picture those old guys driving those fancy rides, wearing nice clothes (as they all did in those days), their arm propped on the window sill, showing off their equally futuristic watches! :cool1:

Also like these two:

....(courtesy A Trebor's website)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
There has been a couple of those Bulovas, with the black dials up on ebay recently ....I helped a customer get the English one....but what I thought was cool was than one of the sellers called the lugs "cat ears" ....when viewed straight on, they do look like perky cat ears....

and I thing the "Black Knight" by Elgin has to fit in this catagory too.....very atomic ......even vacuum cleaners and toasters had that same over the top look ......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and here's another bulova from that period that i picked up last month on ebay for about $30. i thought the band was rather distinctive.

speaking of the elgin black night, i have one and almost sold it for $20 (it's really quite small, almost a ladies' watch, although it takes a much wider strap than you'd think, a 20 mm) until i realized what kind of a stylistic statement it was making, and how much more valuable it was, and kept it in the collection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts