WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally dont advise drinking and buying watches online :T This one seems to have worked out nicely. I like unusual automatics, and this one was fit the bill. It was listed as broken. It arrived working almost flawlessly. There is not much on the "Louis" watch co. They may have been a swiss house brand for Saks 5th ave. The codes on the movement are UT-52o n the rotor, and 528, 21600, INT under the escapement. Longines used a cal. 528. Other than that I cant figure out who made the movement based on the codes. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Justin
P.S. The calendar is only cosmetic. There is no moving day mechanism.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
I'm no expert but at least I reply lol and I would say it looks like a Chinese seagull st-16 but I can't say for sure. Btw seagull makes great movements and are known as the rolex of china.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It looks very similar to this Dorset currently listed on 'the bay.
Dorset 25J Automatic Mens Gold-T Calender Watch Swiss | eBay

BTW, Dorset was a Montgomery Ward house brand... don't know anything about Louis, but they look very similar to me.

I'm pretty sure the day should be adjustable, otherwise the calender would be useless, unfortunately I have no idea how it is supposed to adjust. Maybe you could contact the Dorset seller for some info.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. That would be cool if it's a Seagull movement. Still doesnt explain any of the codes in there. I did contact that seller with the calendar question. Under my loop, the SU is just a different color/ print. I am really enjoying this watch.

Justin

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
it looks Chinese. actually i would put money it is. that's not a bad thing. seagull, dixmont, Hangzhou, and liaoning make good movements too.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
ok so i have been doing some research for ya. it looks like a Shanghai B without the GMT function. alpha uses those movements in they're watches and the have a decent reputation so i would be happy. wear that watch in good health man! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
520 Posts
If it is indeed a GMT movement, without that function, than perhaps the day setting is supposed to be with the crown pulled out half way... the same position that the second (24hour) hand would normally be set by. Could it be the stem needs adjusting, or replacement?

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Clifford Moore said:
If it is indeed a GMT movement, without that function, than perhaps the day setting is supposed to be with the crown pulled out half way... the same position that the second (24hour) hand would normally be set by. Could it be the stem needs adjusting, or replacement?
However it it, it's a shanghai I believe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts