Super Moderator
15,576 Posts
I'd be surprised if ANYBODY has one! :lol:

mvdo.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have one, sorry about the misspelling but I heard movado was making one. I've seen some coworkers with smart watches, they are certainly not at the top of my list but I might get one eventually. I like how you can add any face to it but they seem inconvenient for any serious reading etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
I don't have one, sorry about the misspelling but I heard movado was making one. I've seen some coworkers with smart watches, they are certainly not at the top of my list but I might get one eventually. I like how you can add any face to it but they seem inconvenient for any serious reading etc.
I doubt very much that Movado is actually making the 'smart' watch. They are likely lending their name to a watch with circuitry provided by a Chinese company.

·
Super Moderator
15,576 Posts
...... I like how you can add any face to it but they seem inconvenient for any serious reading etc.
I'm one of the last Luddites, and new technology intimidates me. I used my "smartchip" debit card last night for the first time and it took me over a minute just to pay for my stupid groceries!:cursing:

But I have to admit; the option of changing faces on the smartwatch caught my attention as well. I'll never own one, let alone understand them, but they ARE fascinating!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree I have no idea whether or not it would be practical for me but I need to see this movado smart watch. I think it's the Swiss watch company to make one. It gotta be sleek. I have no idea how much movado was involved other than design

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just saw the new one that they released at Basel and it looks pretty good. I have been lusting after the TAG connect but they are hard to find and crazy expensive for a disposable watch. They do offer you a trade-in discount after two years on a mechanical watch though. At half the price the Movado looks really good. It looks like they are using a hp module. They also released similar smart watches from Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger for a more affordable option. The pics are from the respective brand websites.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got one about 1 year ago, it’s not bad but it uses the charge in about 6-8 hours and goes into power save mode which basically shuts it off. Anyone else have this problem? The I-watch is better and cheaper.

·
Registered
180 Posts
6-8 hours on a charge really stinks! How heavy is the use for that? How long does a charge last when just using the watch for timekeeping and other functions are just on standby?

Smartwatches will really take over even more when the average price comes down under $250 and the battery lasts longer than 5-6 days in normal use. I for one am not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Since it is a digital it still drains even if you just wear it and do nothing. It charges pretty quick(2-3 hr) but if one is out and not near a charge, it quickly becomes a useless wrist accessory. The Apple Watch is much better(12-18 hr) and charges in 6-7 hr.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Actually, Citizen makes a hybrid called the Proximity 2 that is a solar quartz chronograph with Bluetooth that will vibrate and indicate text, e-mail,calls on face by second hand position. It’s 100m water resistant and since solar,no worry about running down. I like it better than the Movado.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Update on the Movado, I noticed a dark area in the center of the dial recently-it looked like a circular stain But it still worked so I ignored it. The watch seemed to drain battery faster than before and I connected it to charger and let set for an extended time. Eventually, I got it off charger and noticed that the darker area in dial was somewhat larger and now the watch won’t activate at all. It’s like it is totally drained of power and it will not accept a charge. I’ve had the watch for some time and I wonder if the rapid battery drain experienced since the beginning was a symptom of whatever has happened to it and if it’s worth sending to Movado for repair or replacement. If not covered by manufacturer, I not sure I want to put more money into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts