WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking to get a watch for my girlfriend. We both love watches. She really likes the silver Movado Bold watch. Its $750...I dont know much about Movados other than the traditional black plain faced dress watches that they mainly make. Its a lot to spend as it is, but its worth it if its a quality watch. If its a glorified Michael Kors watch with a "Swiss Made" stamp on it, I wont bother. I more of a Longines, IWC, Tag type of guy where the price is much higher too.

Any thoughts would be great.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
She really likes the silver Movado Bold watch. Its $750...
Ouch! That's a little hard on the wallet when I've seen the Bold for $400-$500. (Think of the world's largest river, located in South America)

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, looked on that river location. It's still 750 for the movado bold chronograph. I just can't decide if movado is quality or an overpriced name.
Conversely, she likes a Michael kors watch which is around 350....but that's a glorified fossil watch. Hmmmmmm
BTW, I don't get the whole fiat money reference .

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Okay then...that's a little different. Chronographs are more complicated to build, so they're gonna cost more.
Are they over-priced? That's subjective, and strictly between you and your budget. My personal opinion is that their quartz models are a little too costly, but the automatic movements are worth it. Movado has been making quality watches for a lot longer than most people realize.

I think the fiat reference meant that if your girlfriend really loves the watch, her emotional attachment to it will transcend any and all
intrinsic value it may have.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I just can't decide if movado is quality or an overpriced name.
There are quite a few Movado owners and supporters here. At this point, the only watch I ever possessed longer than my grandfather's Bulova is a Movado - owned for 10-ish years. The next longest is my Breitling at 3.5 years. Best part was the resale: bought it for $1000, sold it for $770 (if I recall the selling price correctly).

Bottom line is that ALL watches which cost more than $20 are overpriced luxury items.

Most women are very conscious of name brands. That's why certain purses and shoes are hot and others are not. In watches, the most often seen brands on all the women I know are TAG, Rolex, Movado, and Omega.

Conversely, she likes a Michael kors watch which is around 350....but that's a glorified fossil watch. Hmmmmmm
There's nothing to think about at all after you've read my comment in this post about women and name brands. Yes, it's a broad generalization but it exists as an axiom because there's so much truth to it.

BTW, I don't get the whole fiat money reference .
It was kind of a political comment about the state of the economy and how the US government just prints more dollars when needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts