WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! New here to the forum.

I just sparked an interest in quality time pieces. I've always had watches, but they were mostly Timex. Not that there's anything wrong with them, I love some of the sophisticated features; but I wanted something more.

I wasn't sure what I wanted, or even what brand, but I knew I wanted three things: simple, sporty, and elegant. Enter the Movado bold.

Now I have my eye on a Tag Heuer Carrera, but it's quite the step from the Bold. Just thought I'd share, great forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I got the bug last May when I decided to put a nice watch on my wrist.

I really like the look of the Movado. Good eye.

But, here's some advice. At first, I found myself buying watches that "I liked." Most of them were quartz watches.

There's nothing wrong with quartz watches, but there is something about the craftsmanship of a mechanical or automatic watch. All those moving parts, using nothing more than the movement of your arm, keeping immaculate time and the ability to see the movement through a see through caseback adds to the experience.

While I don't have the depth of knowledge about watch making and the movements that some of the regulars have, my tastes have gravitated to companies that produce their own cases and in the future, companies that produce their own movements.

Consider looking at brands like Victorinox, Orient, Accutron, and Oris for affordable mechanical watches. Also, when purchasing a watch at the price point of the Movado, make sure that it has a sapphire crystal....

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
A Movado with more than just a gold or silver dot on the face??? SACRILEGE!!! What's this world coming to??? :eek:hmy:

Seriously- I like it. I think it's time for Movado to move on and come out from under the umbrella of The Museum Watch. Back in the 50s and 60s Movado had some great-looking, well-made mechanicals backed by a rich company history. I would love to see them go back to their roots in the world of innovative horology. In 1912 Movado made the world's first wristwatch with a curved movement and subsidiary second hand. And in 1927 brought out The Ermeto travel clock. It was encased in a two-piece shell. When it was opened, that action wound the mainspring of the clock. Renewed imagination like this could once again make them a force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I have been looking at mechanical watches and am quite surprised how broad of a spectrum there is in relation to cost. As I mentioned I have my eye on the Tag Heuer Carreras, any thoughts? The model I liked at the jewelers was in excess of $4000, so for that price what would compare in quality? Any recommendations?

I really have learned alot about watches since first researching the MBT, and continue to do so. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
IMHO, TAG is overpriced for what you get, and there are better "value for money" brands out there if you're not concerned about your buddies recognizing the name (or prefer they don't).

That said, they make some fantastic looking watches, and since they are using "off the shelf" movements, service can be accomplished by independent watchmakers relatively cheaply.

There is a TAG outlet here in Houston (and I would assume other places too) that STARTS at 50% off and gets cheaper from there. They carry Zenith too ... It is quite tempting ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.