WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up an M24. Absolutely love it! I wanted to try to mount the tungsten bracelet, but I am having a difficult time (surprised?). I've browsed around the forum looking for tips, even watched the youtube video posted, but had no luck. I dont mean to beat a dead horse here, but I was wondering if anyone could share some insight or had any special "tricks" to mount the bracelet that maybe hasnt been discussed? I have no problem getting one side of the spring bar in, I just cant get the other side to go in. I have tried wedging it with a screw driver, etc. but with no luck. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Do you have a pair of bent spring bars? 'Cos that's part of the secret

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Recently picked up an M24. Absolutely love it! I wanted to try to mount the tungsten bracelet, but I am having a difficult time (surprised?). I've browsed around the forum looking for tips, even watched the youtube video posted, but had no luck. I dont mean to beat a dead horse here, but I was wondering if anyone could share some insight or had any special "tricks" to mount the bracelet that maybe hasnt been discussed? I have no problem getting one side of the spring bar in, I just cant get the other side to go in. I have tried wedging it with a screw driver, etc. but with no luck. Thanks in advance.
Hey, man,

I gotta agree with Timbo; the "customized" springbar (Read: banana shaped) is the easiest longterm solution to the tungsten bracelet fitment issue.

When I first got my M28, I experienced the same frustrations you're describing, and I contacted Chris at Lum-Tec, and he overnighted me some curved springbars. In my case, the bores in the tungsten bracelets end links had trash in them, which further narrowed the tolerances. I broke several springbars trying to fit the bracelet by employing the "ram it in with a screwdriver" approach.

When you gently bend a springbar in the middle of its length, you are not deforming the tube near its ends, where the springs and "feet" are housed in the tube. Springbars are just hollow tubing -- kind of like hypodermic needles -- and their ends are crimped to contain the springs and posts that seat in the case's lug holes.

When you force one end of the springbar into its lug hole, after the other end has already been seated, you are applying all that force to the very ends of the springbar. If you picture this in your mind's eye, what you're doing is applying a HUGE load to the area of the springbar that is its most vulnerable, and you are deforming the ends of the tube, which often results in the springbar coming apart: The bent/enlarged openings at the ends of the tube can cause the spring(s) and post(s) to pop out...

This happened to me, after I falsely assumed that the bracelet was safely mounted, only to discover that I'd broken the springbar. I had my arms crossed behind my head while watching TV, and the bracelet popped off, landing harmlessly on the back of the sofa. We have all stone floors in our house, so I was grateful to learn this lesson "the easy way," instead of finding out what happens when tungsten hits granite...

You DON'T want to compromise your springbars. You may wear a weakened springbar for weeks, and then have it fail in a very bad way, say while deep sea fishing or hang-gliding. :scared::lol:

My bent springbars stay in the tungsten bracelet; in fact, it would be a CERTIFIED BEE-ATCH to remove them. Installing the bracelet, now, takes under a minute, and it's actually kind of fun.

If I were you, I'd contact Bes or Chris, since they're experts at getting the bars shaped just right to do the job. :wink:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
While I have to agree to a lot that you say Ladd, fact is that LT mounts them with a screwdriver as you can see in the Vid.
Also, there usually is enough 'free play' to springbar posts to engage the lugholes without applying too much force to the tube ends, the video shows this too. 'Just a little push is all that is needed'

Oh well... the ever returning LT bracelets mounting topic :blink:

·
Registered
845 Posts
This problem does have long history and I have been successful in most cases to mount LUM-TEC bracelets.

I have had a problem with the PVD bracelet for my B7 that I could not resolve because either the bracelet at the 12 o’clock connection or the watch head itself was not correctly milled.

LUM-TEC offered me to send the bracelet and watch in for inspection; the bracelets on my other three LUM-TEC Combat B watches fitted with no problem.

I choose to wear my B7 with a NATO strap and forgo the time to send in my watch for repair. This is a choice I made and is no negative reflection on LUM-TEC. It is rather a deep personal reason to not part with my watch.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The easiest way I have found to mount hard to fit bracelets is disconnect all links so only the minimum of the bracelet on each side is mounted separately. It is much easier to mount the bracelet lug to the watch head lug in this manner.

After both lug ends are fastened to the watch head than add the links needed to complete the installation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the good info guys. I think I am going to try the bent spring bar approach. I've tried the "ramming it technique" with no luck (even after watching the video over and over), and after ladd's recommendation I do not think I want to anymore. Sending the watch into lum tec to mount the bracelet seems too time consuming and, to me, defeats the purpose if I indeed want to change the strap back to leather (I would be back to square one). Thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts