WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought this N2 SS Accuquartz off The Bay as a parts watch to get a spare "for parts" non-working movement. When I received it yesterday I saw how unusual it is and decided this must be restored, not parted out. The case is thick and heavy, brushed on the top "bezel" surface and smooth on the sides. The dial is a bluish-violet color and tooled with columns of vertical spirals - not clearly seen in the pics. Most unusual for an Accutron, the crystal is thick mineral and tapered at the top and bottom third. Hope this can be seen in the pics - notice the ridges on the crystal where it tapers. The crystal is scratched. If I cannot locate an exact original, I will leave it, not replace it with a generic plastic crystal. Case date, as mentioned, is N2 with '11-2" stamped inside the case back along with the number "3194". The movement date is N3. The movement is clean but does not even hum when a battery is installed. No real biggie for me, though. No band. Wonder if it came with a SS or leather band? Lugs are hidden and don't show any signs of metal band wear. The case has seen a good bit of wear but since it is SS, I can work some magic and make it much more presentable. This one will be put away with a few others, awaiting funds for repair.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a company that polishes glass crystals?

Edit: did a search and found some links for polishing glass watch crystals. Looks easy enough. Yellow rouge is one recommendation as a polishing agent. Any others? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Accuquartz built like a tank, is that a "cool" quartz crystal drawing on the face?
Yes, it is. Some Accuquartz dials were made that way. I have one other like that. That design may have been reserved for the more expensive versions - not really certain about that, though. Notice the steel insert that receives the movement. There is an o-ring under the flange of the insert as well as the usual case back gasket. The case back ring screws into the insert. I have seen one other like that. I am not certain how to go about changing the battery since you must press the insert down tightly against the case while installing the case back retaining ring. This watch was presented by the grads, to the President of Niagara University (Catholic) in 1975 upon his retirement. It is a beautiful, large and heavy watch in excellent to near-mint condition. Really lucked out on that one. Since last year, asking prices on many Accuquartz watches have risen. Still a few good buys if you watch carefully. Since I have eight now, I seek out ones with unusual dials and cases. Got the SS one at the top for only $27! It will need some $ and work invested, though.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Another Accuquartz OliverB ! Are you trying to corner the market ? That one does have some unusual features and certainly should be kept together. I really like that dial and the quartz in it, hadn't seen that before.
I understand about buying a watch for parts and then not using it that way. I have a Pulsometer dial in a SS case that should be in a gold case. I have purchased 3 or 4 gold Accutrons for the case and then decided that they must be kept together.
I'm a little surprised at it not running, I have about concluded through the years that the Accuquartz is about the most bullet proof of the tuning fork watches.
That's a nice addition to the collection.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Another Accuquartz OliverB ! Are you trying to corner the market ? I'm a little surprised at it not running, I have about concluded through the years that the Accuquartz is about the most bullet proof of the tuning fork watches.
:lol: You know, I wouldn't mind cornering the market on the Accuquartz! Won't happen, though. Will run out of funds WAY before that.

Yes, that is interesting. This actually makes the second Accuquartz movement I have received lately that does not function. Bought one a week ago removed from solid gold case and listed as non-running - just the dial, hands and mvt. The YGP pictured above didn't run either but only needed cleaning, no parts. Time will tell for this one. It will probably go to Ludmil later this Summer after I work on the crystal and case.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Accuquartz "No" :sad: I've Just bought a very nice N7 Accutron quartz Dual-Day off the Bay. (The only downside with the watch) It has QUARTZ on the face and not that very nice quartz crystal drawing. Will post pics when I receive it. :001_smile:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received today.

That looks great! Love the two-tone case. :thumbup1: I had an Accutron quartz last year but didn't care for it's condition and re-sold it. There is one model I really like. It is the quartz "TZ" for time zone. Has the additional hour hand and a really nice, high end quartz movement. Tracked one recently in supposed NOS condition but it went for more than I wished to put out at the time.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That looks great! Love the two-tone case. :thumbup1: I had an Accutron quartz last year but didn't care for it's condition and re-sold it. There is one model I really like. It is the quartz "TZ" for time zone. Has the additional hour hand and a really nice, high end quartz movement. Tracked one recently in supposed NOS condition but it went for more than I wished to put out at the time.
This one has the early 242 calibre "TZ" movement with the recessed button located at 4. Which allows to move the hour hand only.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Here's another one on Ebay. He was unaware of the date (N2) so I emailed him the info. Not sure of the price versus value but it looks nice!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's another one on Ebay. He was unaware of the date (N2) so I emailed him the info. Not sure of the price versus value but it looks nice!!

Nice watch but the seller has quite an inflated opinion of it's value! Thanks for sharing. I have tried to stay away from looking at Accuquartz listings for some time. Too dangerous! :lol:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Nice watches there boys!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I've never considered Accuquartz before but am now re-thinking. Which is a line of thought that should not even be considered for all the usual reasons. Starting with $.

Help me Oliverb. How do you not start? :wink:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice watches there boys!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Help me Oliverb. How do you not start? :wink:
I wish I had the answer to that! :sad: Now I have strayed to Russian Vostok watches. Have had one for 20+ years but recently purchased two new 31J autowind models - an Amphibia and a Metropolis. Beautiful watches, well made, durable, cheap and very accurate. How about $71 shipped from Russia for the Amphibia with a SS case and water resistant to 660'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.