WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

im looking for a bulletproof watch, something with a full metal body, can be dropped and beat up over and over and still keep working, i need to be able to wear it everywhere i go, i work in attics, in the oil field, sometimes in the water, and when im working i always bang my watch on things around me, if you guys have any suggestions please let me know, thanks in advance

ls

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am ok with a simple stainless steel case, more interested in the internals able to withstand a beating, ive had a few watches that when dropped, some of the inside pieces broke off of the dial, or the watch not functioning after the drop, id like to spend between $200-$300 possibly

ls

·
Registered
515 Posts
Check out momentum watches, well under budget, claims of being super durable and some are titanium, which will scratch a lot less than ss. Your best bet overall is to just abondon the ss idea and gk for a gshock. Long term it will be the only thing that will take regular abuse, and be happy doing it.

·
Super Moderator
16,452 Posts
1) I don't know. But mine was a bit more than the same version in plastic (or whatever they were made of 10 years ago). Then again, Larry hasn't given us any idea of how much he's budgeting for this purchase.

2) I will admit availability to ''try-before-you-buy'' could be an important factor in his decision!

Anyway, I just wanted him to know there was that option.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You'll like this! I bought a Gruen pocket watch called the Embassy, OK I know Gruen doesn't exist anymore and who ever built this just bought the rights to the name, but, the case is close to 15mm of a solid aluminum type material and it has to have the thickest crystal I've ever seen. I've had it for at least 20 years and it still doesn't have a scratch on it. The Bezel is held in place by four screws and in large, all caps type says 'EXTRA TOUGH CONSTRUCTION.'

G-Shocks are fine, tough watches and probably what you want, but this thing would crush them all day long. . . LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for all of your recommendations, I was looking to spend around $300, im looking for more of an Invicta in stainless steel, it is going to get marked up and that is ok, thats kinda what im looking for, I still want an analog watch, everything that you guys have added is great, thank you all

I am continuing to look for an Invicta stainless steel, with screws all throughout the band so it can be disassembled, thanks for all of your guys help

LS

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think by basic reputation, most invictas would not really hold up well under the best of circumstances. I own a few Invictas and have never had a problem with them, but there are so many horror stories that it makes me think I am one of the lucky few. Luckily though they are cheap enough to where if it doesnt hold up, it wont set you back to much.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have almost a dozen Invictas now, and have never had a problem with any of them. A shame that the Invicta forum seems to have more IBC members than Invicta owners. ( IBC - Invicta Bashers Club)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the3dgm,
I am glad to see more members have positive experience with their collection.

I got into purchasing Invictas because of the unique designs and cost efficient price (something I can afford), I specifically joined this forum because of the Invicta presence. As I scroll through many forums and different websites, I do see a large number of people who look down on this brand because it does not fall under "their" definition of a "good" watch. However I am learning very quickly that even in the watch world some individuals maintain an elitist attitude, if you did not spend a ton of money on a single watch with that "Brand name" they like, then your watch is crap in comparison. Does the simple fact that after a few weeks one watch tells a diff time by a few seconds than another watch, does this make it "not a watch"? If we were to truly compare apples to apples, we would find that even putting same models next to each other would yield a time difference after an extended length of time. At what point are we going to accept that different people like different things, and that IS ok? I thought that is part of why we all enjoy this hobby and or collection, is to enjoy and appreciate the different styles and types of watches we can find and obtain and also appreciate what others like as well.

I know everyone has an opinion, and thank you for reading mine, LOL, I would be more than happy to hear yours as well, as this is why we all joined the forums to begin with, IS to hear from others, and show others what we have, and bounce ideas and interests off of each other, and to communicate the good, the bad, and the normal.

LS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.