WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does anyone have any infos on Morvant watches? they were an offshoot of Elgin sold mainly in the US in the 80's.
That's about all I could find on them...

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
I doubt you'll find much info unless you stumble upon the original owner of one. They appear to be a line of ladies quartz fashion watches put out by the company that bought the rights to the name Elgin.
The original Elgin Watch Company folded in 1968, so I'm reasonably sure there is no collector interest in them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a matter of fact, I do own one, a small man's square tank-like 14k with a quartz movement. I even sold it to myself back in 1983, when I worked in the trade. I kind of stumbled on it a few weeks ago, but I don't really remember specifics from 30 years ago. I do remember that in 83 it was one of the cheapest solid gold watches you could buy! I'll post a pic soon!

·
Banned
615 Posts
I doubt you'll find much info unless you stumble upon the original owner of one. They appear to be a line of ladies quartz fashion watches put out by the company that bought the rights to the name Elgin.
The original Elgin Watch Company folded in 1968, so I'm reasonably sure there is no collector interest in them.
Actually I think the 'ORIGINAL' Elgin folded in 1956 - Thereafter I dont know
In that period they produced 56Million watches - Wow!

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
Actually I think the 'ORIGINAL' Elgin folded in 1956 - Thereafter I dont know
In that period they produced 56Million watches - Wow!
I just know what I read. This is an excerpt from WIKIPEDIA

The original, obsolete factory in Elgin closed in 1964, after having produced half of the total number of pocket watches manufactured in the United States (dollar-type not included). In 1964 the company relocated most manufacturing operations to a brand new plant in Blaney, South Carolina, a town near Columbia, South Carolina which renamed itself Elgin, South Carolina. A leased building in Elgin that housed offices as well as casing, fitting, shipping, service, and trade material departments was maintained until about 1970.

All US manufacturing was discontinued in 1968, and the rights to the name "Elgin" were sold and subsequently resold multiple times over the years.
Elgin-branded watches produced after 1968 have no connection to the Elgin Watch Company...
underlining added by myself

Reactions: cohjesplux

·
Banned
615 Posts
How weird.
Last serial number was surely from 1956 (56m)
Let me study some more
Possible Wikipedia date is wrong?
Let me research. But I feel that Wikipedia is incorrect as Hamilton was last US manufacturer and it closed ..

Regards
A

·
Banned
615 Posts
Most intersting and still no answer to me
The last Elgin serial number i can find relates to 1956
1956 55,000,000

Then I see this:
Swiss Elgin Watches

"During the later years that the Elgin Watch Company was in business (late 50's through mid-60's), the company began to reduce their production of watch movements in the United States, and began importing Swiss watch movements which were finished and labeled as Elgin watches. These later-production Elgin watches are commonly known as "Swiss Elgins". A listing of Swiss Elgin watch grades and their equivalent Swiss movement calibres is shown below:"
So maybe Swiss movements never got counted?
No idea - Strange the man writing the book on Elgin has no comment.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.