WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I got another size 3/0s Elgin in the mail today in need of restoration (as usual).

Serial number on the movement dates to 1918 just as it should.

Once I removed the dial I turned it over to see if it was date stamped (not all of them are stamped).

I had to do a double take ! ! !

The dial has a date stamp of 10 18 for October 1918, nothing unusual.

BUT ! ! ! ! ! !

This dial is DOUBLE STAMPED ! ! ! ! !

It has an extra RED stamp that reads "8 .1"

Can't say that I have ever seen a double stamped Elgin dial before and I have not ever seen a RED stamp on one either for that matter, the stamps are ALWAYS black.

You can clearly see that the stamps are different.

The dot on the RED stamp is MUCH closer to the 8 while the black stamp has the dot right in the center separating the 10 and the 18.

I deal with these dials pretty much on a daily basis and I've NEVER seen a RED stamp ! ! ! ! !

What in the heck is this RED stamp ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? And what does it mean ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

A day stamp possibly for August 1st ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Oh forefathers of ELGIN, you guys are killing me ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Soon as I wrap up one Elgin mystery the VERY NEXT DAY you guys throw this at me ! ! ! ! ! !

SO, here we go again.

Has anybody ever seen the back of an Elgin dial that had one black stamp and one red stamp ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Soon as I'm out, they pull me back in" ! ! ! ! ! !

(said in my Al Pacino voice)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Could it have been a miss-stamp and be the 8 and the 1 from the eighteen but, the eight didn't come out? But, that doesn't explain why it would be red and not black? :confused1:

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
:confused1:
Red was an accident and they did it again in black?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Why can't I find an oddity like this one on a coin or on a stamp ! ! ! ! ! !

It would be worth a fortune ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Send me your most valuable stamp... I'll ink-stamp it in red for you. :wink:

Could red have meant that it was defective and not approved?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could red have meant that it was defective and not approved?
Your guess is as good as mine right now.

But, I can't see any flaws on the dial, the color is right, the font is right, no cracks of anykind, it centered, dial feet are in the spot on correct locations and so on.............

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Some guy/gal in the dial department said...
hum, Red is cool... I am going with Red!

The guy next to him said, "Dude the boss said Black!"

Well I am going with both... and no one is gonna see it
anyway and 100 years from now someone is gonna
say, hey, what were those guys thinking?!?:laugh:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good one Greg ! ! !

A supervisor's QC stamp perhaps for the day's batch ?

A day stamp perhaps ? (August 1, 1918 was on a Thursday, I looked it up)

I'm going to hold on to this dial for awhile just in case something else similar comes across my bench someday for comparison.

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Why can't I find an oddity like this one on a coin or on a stamp ! ! ! ! ! ! It would be worth a fortune ! ! ! ! ! ! !:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No, you'd get doodley-squat...it's the dealer re-selling it that would make the fortune!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night after the Broncos game (GO TEBOW!!!) I was not tired enough to go to bed yet so I went through the past two years worth of pictures of all of the watches that I have restored and dials that I have bought. Out of the 149 Elgin trench watches NOT a single one of them had this red stamp on the back (yep, it's 149, I counted twice and that's just the Elgin trench watches). Elgin was still "black" date stamping the back of the military dials until June 1922, that's the latest one that I have found. Out of the 149 not one of them had this extra RED stamp. You would think that the odds would dictate another one of these randomly popping up at some point, but no dice. Wish I could meet another Elgin Trench Watch super-freak like me one day so we could compare notes on this topic, and a several others ! ! !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts