WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at O'Hare Airport today and happened by the Montblanc store. I was impressed to learn that they are making some in-house movements and thought their pieces were very nice though maybe a little large for my taste. Do you guys think these are worth the money or would I be better served with another brand?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
from what I understand Montblanc purchased the old Minerva outfit. Minerva were the producers of one of the great chronograph calibres of all time the 13-20.

what they're like now I don't know but the price of most of them suggest a middle of the road/range quality.

·
Registered
260 Posts
"Worth is relative" indeed!

If it's "worth it" to you, it's "worth it." That's a function (among other things) of how rich you are, how much you like the watch, how much you want the watch, and whether or not you care about resale value.

I'm not interested in buying any new watches, so it's certainly not "worth it" to me (but only a couple of absurdly expensive watches, at about a 75% discount from normal selling price, would be "worth it" to me, under these circumstances). Most people would think I'm crazy for having spent as much as I did on the watches I wear. Different strokes....

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
IMO the value for what you get compared to other brands just isn't high enough with MontBlanc for me. I like some of their newer designs, but to me they're not a manufacture but still a fashion brand. Nothing wrong with that, and they are trying to change. I just haven't seen enough change, and I'm not sure if simply buying a movement company instantly makes you a "manufacture". You need a proven history of not only making movements, but innovating & adapting before you are (IMO).

That said if you can find one preowned you like for a good price go for it. But I'd certainly not buy one new, too many other choices out there with better value-dollar ratios, for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a Montblanc - 'nuff said for me.

I guess what I was really asking was... Is there any reason I shouldn't get a Montblanc watch? Poor reliability, poor quality, value for the money. That sort of thing.
I have owned Montblanc pens, a wallet and even a pair of sunglasses over the years and they have all been of the highest quality. I have never owned a Montblanc watch for the same reason - slightly too big for my taste. If you are an aficionado of Montblanc, then I would say yes. I would not be worried about the quality - especially with the (above posted) history factored in. I don't see Montblanc doing anything halfway, and although the quality might not be of the HIGHEST timekeeping standards, it will still be a Montblanc, so it will most likely be a nice piece that will look great.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I was at O'Hare Airport today and happened by the Montblanc store. I was impressed to learn that they are making some in-house movements and thought their pieces were very nice though maybe a little large for my taste. Do you guys think these are worth the money or would I be better served with another brand?
Mont-Blanc have really come on in the last 10 yrs. they make outstanding watches and in past 4 or 5 years with their own inhouse movement.

I have a Mont Blanc, before their prices went Sky High and it is admired by everyone. Highly recommended

Regards

·
Registered
136 Posts
I particularly like the MontBlanc Nicolas Rieussec and have seriously considered picking one up.

Was able to check some out at a boutique and a retailer and for me, it didn't seem to be too big and wore well. I thought the styling was unique and attractive and the quality seemed superb.

As always, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I have seen a few MontBlanc's that I like. I would definitely consider buying one pre-owned, but I think they are a bit steep for new. They are putting a lot of effort and money into uypgrading their matufacture status, and the quiality seems good. If you see one you like I wouldn't talk you out of it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
While I REALLY like some of their designs, and they meet my "won't see one on the other guys' wrist" criteria (that Rolex doesn't), the price puts them in a dangerous spot. I mean you're talking Rolex, JLC, even Vacheron Constantin kind of money here ... And the first time someone said "oh like the pens" I would probably barf

·
Registered
16,742 Posts
I have a Montblanc sport watch (black dial 3-hand). It is very, very accurate and has excellent lume. It's 42-43 mm as I recall. I like it. It's a bit top heavy, though.
At the suggested current $2600 (or maybe it's $2400) retail, I'd throw some more cash in the pot and buy an Omega. But I bought gray market nearly two years ago - about $1500 as I recall - which was an okay deal/price since the quality is equal to or slightly exceeds TAGs in that same general gray market range.
Montblanc has made a commitment to becoming a horological player. I suspect the brand's prestige and prices will only climb in the future. But I am frequently wrong.
I see no reason not to buy a Montblanc if you like it. I've been looking (half-heartedly) for the blue dial sports chrono, which is similar to my three hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.