WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad mis-placed his old watch and we found it in my parents' house after 2 or 3 years.

It was purchased new in 1973 and he wore it daily until 2005 when he was given a new watch.
It's an Omega Seamaster De Ville.

Any thoughts as to which movement it has?

Also, he stopped wearing it because the case back essentially "wore out." There is a small
fissure in the case which will allow moisture in if it is worn.

What advice do you guys have as far as repairing it goes?
Do I replace the case?
I know a repainted/refurbished dial is not desirable, but does that apply to the case?

That's my Seamaster next to it for comparison

If you look close, you can see the crack in the case.

We also found what we think is the original box

Sorry about the lack of quality pics.
I used a cell phone

Any input and insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It appears to be in pretty good shape and a service and polish with a new back would make it very wearable for another few decades. Especially being your dads IMO makes it even more desirable.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
What a great find! Any decent jeweler can and should repair that case. And it's well worth a cleaning & re-oiling. As for the dial, it is really up to you. A collector likes his dials as original as possible. But if you plan on keeping and wearing it (and I think you should) I see nothing wrong with having the dial spruced up a little!
It can run well within chronometer standards as does mine from 1968 It wants to say hello.

Reactions: Contender

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I'm reasonably sure that dial has already been touched-up at some point. The 'AUTOMATIC' looks to be misaligned, as does 'De VILLE', but to a lesser extent. Also, it looks like 'Seamaster' might have had a couple of the fonts re-touched, particularly the first 'e'. Either way, it's certainly worth getting brought up to snuff, including getting a new dial. Shouldn't cost too much, maybe ~$400 for the whole deal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.
Comet, I was hoping you'd chime in. That's a nice looking watch.

Wetworks, you've got me freaked out! Just kidding, but I will have to call my parents to determine if the dial was ever touched.
I'm wondering if that's just a scratch on the glass/crystal/acrylic (whatever it is) that is distorting the view.

Is this case the type that "pops" open?

What type of movement should it have?

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Thanks for the responses.
Comet, I was hoping you'd chime in. That's a nice looking watch.

Wetworks, you've got me freaked out! Just kidding, but I will have to call my parents to determine if the dial was ever touched.
I'm wondering if that's just a scratch on the glass/crystal/acrylic (whatever it is) that is distorting the view.

Is this case the type that "pops" open?

What type of movement should it have?
That could be precisely what it is, but I'm a cynic by nature.:wink: But 'AUTOMATIC' is typically found higher up on the dial near the logo and the writing looks really disjointed. But, you never know.

Judging from the picture, I believe this case is a monocoque, which means it opens from the front. There are special tools designed to do this, so don't try it yourself.

I'm going to guess that it's a reference 166.0020 with either a 562 or 565 caliber inside. Hedging a bit more, with an applied 'OMEGA' as opposed to a painted one, I'll go with a 565.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Actually, I'm wondering if this wasn't a manual wind originally and somebody added the word AUTOMATIC to the dial. That script is DEFINITELY wrong and too low on the dial as Tommy / Wetworks mentioned. It's a refinished dial to some extent if not completely repainted. Scraping out the inside of the caseback to allow the deeper automatic movement to function properly would explain how the case got worn through. Can't tell for sure about anything without pictures.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Mine pops open in the back but I'm not sure about yours. The seam appears to be too far in the middle of the case for me to be sure. Then again, there aren't any indentations for a case wrench so I don't think it unscrews.
If I was that unsure about my own watch, I'd take it to a watch repair shop and ask them how I'd open it up.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Mine pops open in the back but I'm not sure about yours. The seam appears to be too far in the middle of the case for me to be sure. Then again, there aren't any indentations for a case wrench so I don't think it unscrews.
If I was that unsure about my own watch, I'd take it to a watch repair shop and ask them how I'd open it up.
The OP's watch is a front loading case for sure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, I hope I don't have the dreaded Frankenwatch on my hands. :scared: I guess it doesn't matter too much, as I never intended to sell it.

I've been reading this site for a few years, but this is the first I've heard of someone possibly scraping a case to fit a different movement.
Do yall encounter this often?

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Man, I hope I don't have the dreaded Frankenwatch on my hands. :scared: I guess it doesn't matter too much, as I never intended to sell it.

I've been reading this site for a few years, but this is the first I've heard of someone possibly scraping a case to fit a different movement.
Do yall encounter this often?
Often? No. But this is all conjecture unless we can see a shot of the internals.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Well, we're never too old to learn something new. Obviously I know of Hamilton's out-the-front models but was unaware that Omega did that. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.