WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to service my very first accutron, because I've been neglecting it. Despite it's dire need for service, it was running on time when I took the battery out last year. What is a 214HN movement, and why is it stamped both M2 and M5

Crankset Bicycle part Font Rim Circle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Helmet Wheel Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Fluid Gas Circle Auto part

Sky Amber Astronomical object Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The HN movement is the movement for the Astronaut. I think the double stamped date is not unheard of. It is my understanding that the movement was probably made in M2 but not put into a watch until M5.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Nice scope! I remember you mentioning it. Well, I can answer part of your question. The "H" means it was equipped with a hack spring. Sometimes we do see double date stamps because the mvt. was produced one year but not cased until the other year. Kind of an unusual gap for the time frame. I have read about the "N" part but will have to look it up again.

Edit: Skypilot got it! IIRC, there is a 214H just for the addition of a hack spring, with the 214HN being in the Astronaut only with it's GMT hand.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice scope! I remember you mentioning it. Well, I can answer part of your question. The "H" means it was equipped with a hack spring. Sometimes we do see double date stamps because the mvt. was produced one year but not cased until the other year. Kind of an unusual gap for the time frame. I have read about the "N" part but will have to look it up again.

Edit: Skypilot got it! IIRC, there is a 214H just for the addition of a hack spring, with the 214HN being in the Astronaut only with it's GMT hand.
I think the HN is also used in the RR approved with dual time zones....yes/no?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I wonder if it still has the Astronaut pinion and hour wheel still? Wouldn't that be cool... I'm not sure what I'm looking for though
Surely one of the regulars has a dual time zone RR approved and could answer that???? I'm sure one or more of you has outbid me on on more than one in the past :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.