WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Rolex have upgraded their Sub bracelets with a ratcheting bracelet clasp which apparently allows for very fine adjustments to get the perfect fit on the wrist, but does anyone know of other brands that have a similar adjustable bracelet? I think Omega might have on one of their divers (PO?) but I'd like to know if this technology is restricted to the higher end brands or is it trickling down to more affordable (for me at least) brands?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, quick response 9pm - thanks. Now, I guess the next question would be if the bracelets themselves are available to add to other watches (which is what I should have asked in the first place). It would be nice to have a bracelet I can adjust on some of the watches I already own. My wrist changes quite a bit throughout the day as it gets cold/warm, so watch bracelets seem to be either sliding down to my hand/wrist joint (which I hate), or squeezing my wrist uncomfortably to stay in place (ouch...)

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and BTW, I'm not talking about the bracelet adjustment where you stick a paper clip (or the correct adjustment tool, if you must...) in the side of the clasp and move the pin either direction to make a tighter or looser fit. I'm looking for something that you can adjust 'on the fly' without any special tools. I think that's how the 'ratchet' adjustment of the Sub works (but please correct me if you have one and that is not how it works)

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
The only ones I'm aware of are the mesh-style bracelets where the clasp slides up and down the bracelet for adjustment. These you can really fine-tune for a perfect fit. And you don't need any tools (unless your fingernails aren't long enough). Even a ballpoint pen would work! Scott (timesofplenty) has many different styles on his eBay store.
watchband, watch band items in vintage watch bands store on eBay!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just get one my dad wears and swears by. the flex o matic that stretches with your wrist lol. whatever nice watch I get him he takes of the OEM strap or bracelet and gets the strechey one.lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just get one my dad wears and swears by. the flex o matic that stretches with your wrist lol. whatever nice watch I get him he takes of the OEM strap or bracelet and gets the strechey one.lol
Expansion watch bands look cheezy to me. I'm sorry, but they do. If you want a perfect fit, get a leather band and poke an extra hole exactly where you want the watch band to buckle. Or have your wrist measured and have a band custom made.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I recently lost 20 pounds and now few of my watches with metal bands fit well.

A few have adjustments in the clasp, but taking out links seems to make them too tight.

I vote all metal bands should at least have a few hole s in the clasp or the micro adjuster mentioned here.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Expansion watch bands look cheezy to me. I'm sorry, but they do. If you want a perfect fit, get a leather band and poke an extra hole exactly where you want the watch band to buckle. Or have your wrist measured and have a band custom made.
In the real world most people want their watch to be able to fit out of the box using the adjustments available, or at the most by having links removed by the watch seller. A microadjustable bracelet allows the user to get the right fit hopefully without a visit to the watchmaker/jeweler (especially if the watch is not new - the owner may want to avoid the 'hassle' of paying a watchmaker to adjust it by adding or removing half links etc...)
Your cheezy is someone else's tasty Brie :001_smile:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
While I am not a fan of expansion bands, I have seen some that looked far from cheap or cheesy - particularly some vintage ones. Personally, I think adding holes to a leather strap is and looks cheesy. You get spacing between holes that isn't uniform, which I can't stand. To each their own!
Oh, the reason I am not a fan of expansion bands is their tendency to pull arm hair.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
The only time I've had that problem is on some of the vintage bands...the older ones with what I call scissor backs...

pull once in a while but never had any problems with anything by Spiedel or Hadley-Roma (like the example below)!

Reactions: RalphDjr

·
Registered
236 Posts
In the real world most people want their watch to be able to fit out of the box using the adjustments available, or at the most by having links removed by the watch seller. A microadjustable bracelet allows the user to get the right fit hopefully without a visit to the watchmaker/jeweler (especially if the watch is not new - the owner may want to avoid the 'hassle' of paying a watchmaker to adjust it by adding or removing half links etc...)
Your cheezy is someone else's tasty Brie :001_smile:
The problem is when the watch band expands around the wrist, there are sometimes unsightly gaps between the links on the band. To compound the felony, the gaps are sometimes uneven and run at slight angles. I understand practicality comes first...but style is just as crucial.

I see your point about adding holes, though. What makes that tolerable is that the error is pretty much invisible on the wrist.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem is when the watch band expands around the wrist, there are sometimes unsightly gaps between the links on the band. To compound the felony, the gaps are sometimes uneven and run at slight angles. I understand practicality comes first...but style is just as crucial.

I see your point about adding holes, though. What makes that tolerable is that the error is pretty much invisible on the wrist.
We might be on a different page - I'm not talking about the Speidel - style expandable bracelets (although they have been mentioned in this thread). Rather the micro-adjustable bracelets by Rolex Tsar etc (see earlier posts). I have not had good experiences with the Speidel bracelets (hair-pullers) and don't really like the look of them much. I agree with your points about them.
There have been some good suggestions by members, I wasn't aware there were as many manufacturers of these bracelets as there are, which can only be a good thing if you're in the market for one.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys :thumbup1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.