WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i STARTED OUT looking for a Seiko... in my price range, trustable seller (even Amazon.com (themselves, not a 3rd party) sells SNKs and SNZs that aren't listed on Seiko's site, but i *suppose* that's ok), a design i want, and features i want ... is pretty challenging.

i've widened the search to Citizen and maybe Pulsar (haven't seen many with features i'm looking for from Pulsar, tho). still trying to keep it in the under $125 range (i could fudge it a little. i'm looking at a Citizen BM8290-05E)

THOSE OF YOU WITH CITIZEN watches ... how has your experience been with your watches? reliable? any of you have Citzens AND Seikos? how have the two compared reliability-wise and accuracy-wise (with quartzes, self winding, and the Eco-Drive)?

edit: i've also noticed a complete lack of Seiko 5s in stores (as well as self-winding). does that mean most/all DO or DON'T have at least SOME shock protection? how about Citizens?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I kinda looked at the Citizen BM6400-51E a while back. It is an Eco-Drive WR200 watch with a very legible dial. Another very nice affordable automatic from Seiko worth checking out is the SNKF11F. :biggrin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can only find those grey market here in the states :(

i may go for a grey market watch as a second watch, if i can ever spare the money ;) (music, movies, computer parts, and magic the gathering ..oh and want of a new(er than '97) car are also competing for my money at the moment)

i'll prolly try to buy from an "authorized dealer" with my first watch .. peeps here (and at work) have convinced me enough of the value of one. now just which watch, tho? :D

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
i can only find those grey market here in the states :(

i may go for a grey market watch as a second watch, if i can ever spare the money ;) (music, movies, computer parts, and magic the gathering ..oh and want of a new(er than '97) car are also competing for my money at the moment)

i'll prolly try to buy from an "authorized dealer" with my first watch .. peeps here (and at work) have convinced me enough of the value of one. now just which watch, tho? :D
Citizen BM-6400 from AD and sponsor :thumbup1:

http://www.discountwatchstore.com/s...200-Meter-Dive-Watch-BM6400-00E_37331293.html

http://www.discountwatchstore.com/s...200-Meter-Dive-Watch-BM6400-51E_37331294.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about reliability and the other questions? like i said in another thread, i'm mostly limited to Amazon due to a gift cert... :/

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had plenty of Seikos and Citizens. I dont think you will have to worry at all about quality or reliability with either brand...both are excellent.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

Here's my Citizen, a perpetual calendar/alarm/2nd time zone/chronograph Eco-Drive. Retail is about $425 but I got mine for half that at an authorized dealer during a sale. I don't think you can go wrong, or beat the flawless performance and excellent fit and finish of a Citizen or Seiko for the price.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
plonk420: I've owned this Citizen ProMaster for more than five years. It's quality and reliability is perfect. I would also tell you that the bracelet is superior to anything I've got in my collection, which includes a few famous Swiss brands. You really can't go wrong with Citizen. Just don't buy it from the mall. The markups are way too high (as I painfully found out!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for the vote of confidence in Citizen, guys!

yeah, i'd have to agree with mall markups being insane. a watch that was $135 around the web, a more "average joe" store (IMO) like JC Penny or Sears (compared to Macy's or Dillards, or even higher ups i can't remember as i never go there) wanted $200+ for :S

i actually went with said model (in OP). really like the numbers around the dial and simple face. i'd have to REALLY warm up to the numbers on the face of the 6400 (tho i don't HATE it). i still have to warm up a bit to a metal band (i'm still quite green in the area of watches) too... hopefully i can save some money in the afforementioned areas (computer parts, music, movies, car) and get a bolder and (really nifty for a geek) self winding sometime in the near future :)

ps, tbarry, you're not the AVISynth filter writer, are you? if so, you wouldn't believe how much your work has contributed to my fascination with video compression :D and tons and tons of experiments and practical use... if not, nevermind ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts