WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years ago I was delighted with my new Maximilian 50-series radio-controlled watch, which gets its time from the atomic clock in Colorado. Last week I had the battery changed, and since then, it doesn't receive the signal; after holding down the crown and getting all the hands to 12:00, when it's suppposed to wait for a signal, the watch starts up and just stops at some random time—not an even number of hours away, so it's not a time-zone difference. The manual-setting routine doesn't seem to work, either.

The watch is out of warranty, and the place I bought it from, Long Island Watch, has no advice other than to send it to Germany. If it needs repairs, that might end up costing more than the watch itself (listed for $170 or so, got it on sale for c. $125); I contacted the manufacturer (POINTtec) says just to send it to them.

So I'm dithering. Could get a quote for repair, and if it's too much, just tell them to keep the watch.

I really love the radio-controlled watch idea (I have a LaCrosse wall clock that's 'atomic', too). And there are times when I really have to know the time to the exact second.

Anyone here know how to diagnose this kind of problem, especially with these German radio watches? Anyone know of someone in the Boston-Worcester area (Mass.) who can service these watches?

The jeweler who replaced the battery says he did nothing else; from the instructions that came with the watch, it's a fairly simple procedure.

I'm leaving on a trip a week from now, so I may need to pick up a cheap Timex or something. :sad:

Suggestions, thoughts, advice welcome.

/Mr Lynn

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've acquired a few Junghans RC watches these past few months from eBay all in varying working condition. From what I've observed, if the watch worked before, it'll work again after the battery change.

It seems (and I've read) that sometimes these RC watches will have a difficult time receiving the signal. In cases like that, leave the watch in the open, away from other electronic devices and face the dial towards Colorado over night (IIRC, leaving it in a window pane can help). When the watch tries to reset when it's suppose to, it should set.

I've opened a few of these watches (I took up watchmaking as a hobby, mostly vintage mechanical) and a battery change is straight forward so your watchmaker probably didn't damage the watch (unless you took it a shopping mall hack).

Wait until tomorrow morning...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have a smartphone you can have a very accurate time by synchronizing it with the atomic clock using mobile app like Smart Time Sync if it's android and forget RC watches.
For handy time-keeping, fashion, elegance, timer, etc, wear a wristwatch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might also check the manual to see if there is a procedure to do a "full reset" of the watch and calibrate the position of the hands. If the battery has been out for some time it might have lost track of where its hands are pointing, so to speak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies (I didn't get an email notice; need to check settings, I guess).

I took the watch back to the shop and had them take the battery out, wait a while, and then replace it, figuring maybe it needed initialization or something. Then I got the hands back to 12:00, following instructions, and set it in a west-facing, second-story window. Didn't work. Trying again tonight.

The company in Germany says they have no authorized service centers in the USA. Maybe after this trip I'll send it back to them, and if they want too much to get it going, let them keep it. Bummer, though.

In the interim, I ordered a Casio Waveceptor Solar Atomic watch, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018747QW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Not near as good-looking as the Maximilian, to my eye, but it gets good reviews.

Jarvis: The instruction sheet that came with the watch says nothing about a full reset. Even a manual set is hard with this watch (so far, hasn't worked).

Maybe it'll get itself together tonight. . .

/Mr Lynn

·
Registered
147 Posts
For yucks and giggles try positioning the watch upright tonight (hang it by the buckle or stand it up on the strap).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Such are the trials and tribulations of owning some technology with a battery in it. :001_unsure: Boy, it makes you long for the days of mechanical watches, doesn't it?

...... oh, wait.......

:sneaky2: :001_tt2:

·
Super Moderator
15,482 Posts
Hello Dennis. I was wondering when you'd reappear to give one of your pokes in the ribs to us quartz wearers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Lynn - Sorry to hear about your Maximilian. Over the past 20 years I've owned 8 "atomic" watches, 6 of which are still with me. My oldest is also a Casio solar WAVE CEPTOR which still receives it's radio signals just fine, so you should be all set.

I hope things work out for your Maximilian, but be prepared to get the news that repairs may cost more than they're worth.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You'll be happy with a wave ceptor, I have a wvq400j-1 and it's a keeper. It's a few years older and a chronograph version of the one you're getting. I used to live in an area that it had real problems getting the signal, however, since moving it has never failed to pickup the signal each night. Enjoy the Casio!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts