WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
''Most companies that produce watches specialize in one of these markets. Companies such as Breitling, Patek Phillipe, Jaeger-LeCoultre and Rolex specialize in watches as jewelry or fine mechanical devices. where as companies as Omega,and Tag Heuer all make mass-produced watches, mostly done completely with machines.''

from wiki.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Mass production gives manufacturers the ability to make parts that are exactly the same so that precision timepieces are affordable and available to those of us who can't or don't want to buy a watch that costs as much as a Lamborghini.

As for the information found in that article, please note the alerts at the top of the page.

"This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (September 2007) "

"This article may contain original research or unverified claims.
Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (September 2007)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch
So, I would take that with a grain of salt.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Rolex ,among others not thought to be, is obviously mass produced.
There aren't enough watchmakers in the world (or time in a day for them to work -forthat matter) to put out the numbers that they profess by hand.

I take what I read in Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
There aren't enough watchmakers in the world (or time in a day for them to work -forthat matter) to put out the numbers that they profess by hand.

Amen, Foggy. I don't trust Wikipedia without verification from a known reliable source.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
From Chronocentric:

MYTH: Rolex are individually handmade watches--Most Rolex watches are mass-produced by highly efficient factory machines using a number of techniques pioneered and patented by Rolex. Rolex makes in the vicinity of 1,000,000 watches a year. They do have some very high end models and special editions that are handcrafted.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml#rolex
Now this does not diminish my opinion of Rolex.

I'm glad watches, even Rolexes, are mass produced.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It amazes me that so many people have the money to spend thousands of dollars on Rolex watches and are willing to do so.

·
Registered
431 Posts
''Most companies that produce watches specialize in one of these markets. Companies such as Breitling, Patek Phillipe, Jaeger-LeCoultre and Rolex specialize in watches as jewelry or fine mechanical devices. where as companies as Omega,and Tag Heuer all make mass-produced watches, mostly done completely with machines.''

from wiki.

I certainly dispute that statement as I know several others do. Especially when you look at someone like Thomas Ninchritz that only produces about 350 watches in a year. I am sure there are others producing even less. In fact I know of a few.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My Speake-Marin is not massed produced but Rolex is.

·
Registered
416 Posts

For sure! Anyone can edit Wikipedia.

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
It amazes me that so many people have the money to spend thousands of dollars on Rolex watches and are willing to do so.
I understand why someone would spend a lot on a watch; I just wouldn't personally spend thousands on a Rolex. But that's just me - we all have our personal preferences.

Some people spend a boatload on their house or their car, what makes any other purchase any different?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A home and transportation are essential items. A watch, as much as I love them, is one of the ultimate luxury items. Things you don't need at all. I'm not surprised that people buy them, I'm just amazed at how many can and do. A million watches a year is a lot of watches! Especially when you consider how many other watch companies there are out there that also sale watches for thousands of bucks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
its not the rolex buyers that amaze me, i was in wempe just 2 days ago and asked about the lange double split, they said come back 50 people and 10 years later:T also, you had to be granted the honor of being on the wait list, which means you had to have purchased many a watch from wempe before you could take the 100k plunge, i get dizzy just thinking about it

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
"The only man, woman, or child who ever wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead."
e e cummings, on the death of Warren G. Harding, 1923
It's a good thing that e e cummings didn't live to see the internet. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts