WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, here is photos of a 14k accutron with a Masonic dial that I bought on offer up some months ago. I have to confess that I bought the watch running on a stainless case with no back and I had the 14k case with no movement. I’m wonder if the dial was made by Bulova or aftermarket?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you made this up out of pieces?

original watch came in a stainless case with no back?

You already had the 14K case, empty, from somewhere.

You put the movement with the mason's dial into the 14K case...

FYI Bulova did custom dials in-house and ordered some from outside.

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
That's an interesting question Luis, and I'd love to hear what a Bulova archivist would have to say about this. And while I have no definitive proof in what I'm about to say; under 400% magnification, I see minor "errors" in a few of the Masonic emblems. The emblems at the 2, 7, 8, and 10 (I haven't decided about the 6 yet) show ''irregularities'' that I just wouldn't expect to see from a in-factory dial making process; I would be MUCH more forgiving if the Masonic images were made by an outside artist or source.
  • If either of the objects at 2 or 6 are masonic (lower case "M") setting mauls, they're like none I've EVER seen before! They look more like a baby's teething toy.
  • WTF is that at the 5? It looks like a knife, letter opener, or dagger, but none of those are Masonic devices.
  • The device at the 7 is supposed to be a two-headed eagle, but it looks more like a cartoon duck!
  • The 90-degree square at the 8 should have both arms THE SAME LENGTH...this one has one arm half as long as the other one
  • Every Masonic trowel I've ever seen has 2 straight sides. Ifthere are examples of curved sided trowels, I am unaware of it.
All the other Masonic devices look A-okay.

--My four cents, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you made this up out of pieces?

original watch came in a stainless case with no back?

You already had the 14K case, empty, from somewhere.

You put the movement with the mason's dial into the 14K case...

FYI Bulova did custom dials in-house and ordered some from outside.
Hi, yes is made from movement and dial from a stainless watch that had no back cover and I put it on a 14k case that I had For a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's an interesting question Luis, and I'd love to hear what a Bulova archivist would have to say about this. And while I have no definitive proof in what I'm about to say; under 400% magnification, I see minor "errors" in a few of the Masonic emblems. The emblems at the 2, 7, 8, and 10 (I haven't decided about the 6 yet) show ''irregularities'' that I just wouldn't expect to see from a in-factory dial making process; I would be MUCH more forgiving if the Masonic images were made by an outside artist or source.
  • If either of the objects at 2 or 6 are masonic (lower case "M") setting mauls, they're like none I've EVER seen before! They look more like a baby's teething toy.
  • WTF is that at the 5? It looks like a knife, letter opener, or dagger, but none of those are Masonic devices.
  • The device at the 7 is supposed to be a two-headed eagle, but it looks more like a cartoon duck!
  • The 90-degree square at the 8 should have both arms THE SAME LENGTH...this one has one arm half as long as the other one
  • Every Masonic trowel I've ever seen has 2 straight sides. Ifthere are examples of curved sided trowels, I am unaware of it.
All the other Masonic devices look A-okay.

--My four cents, for what it's worth.
Hi, you probably right and the dial was made by some dial maker for Mr. C. Ferrell. I like to combine interesting dials with gold cases and yes I know, this is considered an abomination by Accutron purists.

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
Oh, that's all right!.
My apologies to Spaceview and all the guys, but I don't know Jack**** about Accutrons.
I DO, however, know about Freemasonry, and that's where I was coming from!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would tend to agree that the dial was done outside, because although Bulova did do a lot of custom dials for Freemasons as well as many other organizations, I never saw any which included a person's name on the dial. The names would always get engraved on the back.
Samantha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts