WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
HMMM. I have an advertisement for a watch that looks very much like that one but the one in the ad says Astronaut where this one says Railroad Approved and the date wheel in the one in the ad is white with black letters.
I hope Sam2 and maybe some of the others will comment on this one.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The one in the advertisement doesn't seem to have the 4th hand like the one on ebay. What would be the purpose of a 2185 movement without the 4th hand ?

I wish you people would quit showing all the interesting Accutrons on the bay. :cursing: I'm trying so hard to be good and use my watch budget on the repair of some of the watches I got at the estate auction.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You are probably correct Akkatron but posing a watch with one hand hidden sure seems like a dumb thing for Bulova to do.

Yes, OloverB, you have been a bad influence, not that I need one. I just bought a SS 100th Anniversary 214 on the bay. Will show it when it gets here.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The case appears to be in good condition but the bracelet is nasty and will have to go.
I've been trying to concentrate on buying gold Accutrons to keep them from being melted but this one went cheaper than I have seen some of them go so I snagged it.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The case appears to be in good condition but the bracelet is nasty and will have to go.
I've been trying to concentrate on buying gold Accutrons to keep them from being melted but this one went cheaper than I have seen some of them go so I snagged it.
If you wish to outfit it with a leather band of the original design, I can send you a tracing of an original Accutron 100th Anniv. leather band plus the contact info for a guy here in the U.S. who said he would make one for me for $95 shipped. Not certain what band came with the SS version but a black calfskin would look fabulous, IMHO. Lightly textured calfskin was the leather type used in factory original bands.
The original band was about 24 mm wide with the end notched to fir inside the 20 mm lugs. The band tapers down to 16 mm wide at the buckle ends so it can accept a SS tuning fork logo buckle. You can get an idea from the pics below what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you wish to outfit it with a leather band of the original design, I can send you a tracing of an original Accutron 100th Anniv. leather band plus the contact info for a guy here in the U.S. who said he would make one for me for $95 shipped. Not certain what band came with the SS version but a black calfskin would look fabulous, IMHO. Lightly textured, thinly padded calfskin was used in factory original bands. The original band was about 24 mm wide with the end notched to fit inside the 20 mm lugs. The band tapers down to 16 mm wide at the buckle ends so it can accept a SS tuning fork logo buckle. You can get an idea from the pics below how it looks. I believe this case needs a bigger band to complement and show off the watch.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading a few posts, I am wondering if this is the guy you send your watches to for repair? I have viewed 2+ pages of his Accutrons for sale, many of which I like and sort of figured that this may be the guy you always refer to when talking about accutron repair work. Just a hunch?
Yep, one and the same! His pictures are great, descriptions accurate and service fantastic. He used to live in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side but moved back to his home country of Bulgaria. The only thing negative I might say about him is that he charges an $18 ship fee for an actual cost of about $12 U.S on watches you purchase. If you send one for repair, his return ship fee is only $12, IIRC. If you are interested in asking him about servicing a watch, send an inquiry on one of his listed items and he will give you his e-mail address. Turn-around time is about two weeks but shipping time can take as long as five weeks! Only one of mine took thak long, all others arrived in less that two weeks.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Yep, one and the same! His pictures are great, descriptions accurate and service fantastic. He used to live in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side but moved back to his home country of Bulgaria. The only thing negative I might say about him is that he charges an $18 ship fee for an actual cost of about $12 U.S on watches you purchase. If you send one for repair, his return ship fee is only $12, IIRC. If you are interested in asking him about servicing a watch, send an inquiry on one of his listed items and he will give you his e-mail address. Turn-around time is about two weeks but shipping time can take as long as five weeks! Only one of mine took thak long, all others arrived in less that two weeks.
Excellent info. I starting putting two and two together and it all hit me at once. I have him saved on my ebay links so its nice to know alittle about a seller/repair person. Thanks for the info. I need to stay away from his listed items. I get 'the fever' when I start viewing his accutrons.

My Yellow Dot is good to go but I recently bought a 214 RR and the 'upkeep' on it is unknown although it is in pretty good shape.. So I may look into service for it here in the near future.
As long as the service work is good, I can deal with shipping charges that are 'off' abit. My repair guy is in Illinois and have no issues with him but always nice to have another option or advice.

Chris:thumbup1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.