WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering about this for a while now. Although the manual says that once exposed to salt water one should clean with warm fresh water and soap, I wonder if prolonged exposure to soap--such as the soap one uses while they shower-- is harmful for the watch or any other kind of soap for that matter.

Also, should the watch be exposed to water on a daily basis? In the states, our water, at least where I live, has chlorine even if it is a negligible amount and I don't think it is known what chlorine can do to a watch if exposed on a daily basis for a very long time, even if not done intentionally.

So, this leaves me to wonder how should one care for their watch on a daily, weekly or monthly basis? What should be avoided? What does one have to do to make sure ones Omega lasts a lifetime?

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

well Mike,

forgive me, I don't remember where Omegas suggestions and my watchmaker's overlap , agree or otherwise, but here's a short list.

anytime my divers find themselves in saltwater they get rinsed thouroghly with medium temp clear water. then I will "soak" them for a few days in clear water to make sure all the little crystals are eliminated. if I use any "soap" what I do is take an 8 oz glass or so and put a drop or two of dish detergent and mix it up really well. I use a soft toothbrush dipped in that glass to scrub around through the bracelet and around the caseback and such, then rinse thouroughly with clear medium temp (not hot, not cold) water. I also do this to all of my divers every two or three weeks or so all at one time.

at least once a year the watertight seals should be checked and or replaced, I do mine (test) a couple of times a year.. at that time I also remove the bracelet to check the condition of the springbars and make sure everything is ok with any removeable bar on all my watches. Omega makes really good ones so no action (replacement) has ever been needed with them.

other than the clasp cleanup when needed, and a quick polish with cape cod cloths on the shiny stuff thats about all I do. then there is the normal service which I have not gotten to yet...

hope that helps,

:):)
diver88

BTW , DON'T use hot water or really cold water while cleaning. don't soak in soapy water or use high pressure spray on the watch. always make sure the screw down crown and HE valve is always snug before getting wet.. this info only applicable to the water resistant Seamaster line as I have the 2254.50.00 and the 2538.20.00 . any model under 300m WR would get totally different care .

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I must say that you maintain them way better than I ever planned on maintaining mine. I would reckon that even if you were not to do what you are doing the watches would last probably just as long since they are excellent timepieces.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)
you're right Mike,

my watches see a lot of saltwater and semi-heavy use, and for the most part the Omegas do not "require" all of this as much, and neither would most wearers... I do believe Omega reccomends once a year check on the seals though. in my case it's better safe than sorry..

:):)
diver88

1 - 4 of 4 Posts