WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is my opinion, and my opinion only.

CHASE-DURER WARHAWK MECHANICAL

Swiss made, precision 17 jewel Unitas 6497 mechanical movement.
18,000 vph. 44 hour power reserve. Solid titanium case. Super-LumiNova advanced illumination system on hands. Dome & double curved K1 crystal with anti-reflective coating.
WWII vintage-style leather band. Water resistant to 330ft/100m. Diameter 50mm,
thickness 18mm, wt 4.5oz. Also available with burgundy dial. Serial numbered. 2 year international warranty.

I've always wanted a vintage-style pilot watch and thanks to my family, I've now got one. I took the photos quickly, so don't expect the greatest shots.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit skeptical about this watch. It's huge (50mm), Titanium, and has a enormous K1 Domed crystal with anti-reflective coating on it. The crystal almost looks like a camera lens, I'm not the biggest fan of titanium (scratches), and thought to myself, 'Why do you want this? You have a Russian Diver. That's big enough.'

I was ready to really scrutinize this watch and thought I probably would send it back. However, I've been wearing it now for a day and I must say it's VERY comfortable. It comes in a nice wooden lacquered box which doesn't impress me since I'm buying a watch, not the box it came in. I think for the most part, us WIS's appreciate a nice box, but don't really need it since we have so many watches. The general public appreciate it since they store it in there.

Nice pilot watch homage to IWC's Big Pilot Watch only BIGGER! 50mm

The dial is very large and easy to read and the crown is large and very nice to wind that Unitas 6497 movement. I'm a big fan of that movement and have three watches with it that work flawlessly.

Back of watch engraved with logo.

The Huge domed K1 Crystal with Anti-Reflective Coating is the only part that makes me hesitant. It's so large that they had to go with a curved crystal and coat it with ARC. A K1 Crystal falls between mineral and sapphire in hardness. As I understand, Chase-Durer wanted to keep it as close to the era as possible.

It comes with a long and soft vintage-style Leather strap with screws that keep the strap closed. The buckle tang is on the inside strap and an outer strap covers the buckle. It's the first time I've seen this configuration. The strap is really comfortable and soft. So much so that I don't know how well it will hold up for the long run.

Comfortable on the wrist despite it's size. Titanium makes it ultra-light.

Size difference is considerable compared to another flight icon, the Omega Speedmaster Professional, but being it's made of Titanium, it doesn't feel like it's size at all. My Invicta Russian Diver FEELS like a 50mm watch, this doesn't.

CONCLUSION
I thought I was going to send this back, but after wearing it for a day and getting used to it, I've grown to love it. It's a keeper.

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
Thanks for sharing... Great review and I like this style of watch :thumbup1:

Unfortunately my wrists are too small... :001_rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Nice review, Mac and very nice watch. I believe that Swatch is cutting the number of Unitas movements next year by 80%+ so you will have a watch with a very rare movement.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you serious Rusty! 80%????!!!!

I can't figure out why they would do something like that. The Chinese are going to eat them alive. The Swiss seem to be wanting to committ suicide.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Great review.
I love that style and the strap is very well done.
If it were only about 4mm smaller......

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I agree with you Foggy. I'm not sure why they went with a 50mm case. It would have been a better watch at 45mm or 46mm and quite a bit thinner as well. As I said, at first I was thinking of sending it back and actually getting the Hamilton version of this. Hamilton's is smaller, but boring. Debaufré makes a great version of this, but as they say, Value Pays are a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even though it's 50mm and thick, because of the titanium and the leather strap, my Speedmaster feels heavier on my wrist than this does. This is my first huge titanium watch, and compared to the Original Russian Diver from Invicta, it feels like a feather.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Very well done. Thanks for the review.
That's one big honking watch.
Too big for me, but very handsome. Well-made, too.
Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BIG AND HONKIN' INDEED!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
748 Posts
To mac:

Where would be the best place to get one of these?

Are there official retailers, or is it on-line only?

Most of the C-D stuff is way to complicated for me; however I like the clean, simple design of this, the vintage looks, and the mechanical movement!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's a great pickup! I really like the simplicity and beauty of the design.

My only thing is that the crown looks huge and would most likely eat a lot of skin.

But still a looker!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - Sent it back

Well, after giving the Chase-Durer WarHawk Mechanical a glowing review, and saying I wore it for the day and it was a keeper, well... I, er....

...SENT IT BACK. That's right. I returned it.

The more I thought about it, the more doubt came into my mind.

Here's my opinion on this:

For starters, it always bothered me that the word "WarHawk" was on the dial. With the Iraq war and everything going on, I didn't feel like I should be preaching that attitude. Maybe in peace time I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but with the war and people dying, well, that's just me.

It is a beautiful watch, well made (Swiss Made), and huge. Extremely huge. So huge in fact that my gut instinct told me that if I wore it with that huge curved crystal, it would indeed get scratched. Fast. And replacing that crystal would probably have been quite a headache. I don't think that crystal would have been an easy replacement. I could be wrong. Anything outside getting it directly from Chase-Durer, well, may have been tough. The crystal looked like a camera lens. And it had AR coating. Once that scratches, it's over. My Original Invicta Russian Diver has a flat crystal that is receded a bit from the bezel. This thing has "SCRATCH ME" written all over it.

The next thing was the titanium case. While titanium is a premium, and most people like it, it's too gray for me. Industrial looking. (Not a bad thing with the right design). And it scratches easily. I must say, it was a pleasure to have a watch on that big and hardly feel its weight.

The strap it comes with is beautiful. Incredible even. I've never had such a large soft strap that was that comfortable. But, again, it was so soft that I don't think it will hold up well with the buckle tang. And long. Too long I think. I have an 8 1/2 in. wrist. It fit me perfect, but when my friend tried it on, there was so much strap hanging out on the end, it was ridiculous.

In hind sight there are two things I came away with. One is that while the old pilot watches were larger than the average watch of their day, the WarHawk seems to be 4mm-6mm too large to be practical. Other companies make them around 44mm-46mm. They use sapphire crystals and the watch seems like a practical, everyday wearable watch. This is a pose watch. The equivalent of a coffee table book. Big, and beautiful to look at, but you wouldn't want to carry it around with you.

The second thing I learned is that I should wait longer to write a review on something. Especially a watch that is a bit different than most. Whether it be size or function, or material. I should have given it more time. My apologies.

While there are a lot of people that love this watch, I love it too, but it's just not what I want in a watch to wear often. There are other brand alternatives to this big pilot watch. I guess that big pilot watch was just really a TOO BIG Pilot watch. I really did want to love it so.

Hey Chase-Durer, make this watch in a 44-46mm version with a sapphire crystal and you'd have an instant classic on your hands.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for a terrific and comprehensive review. Helps in my purchase decision.

Wear it well and in good health!!!

NAYTH

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Knight,

Being made if titanium, it's really quite light. Not heavy at all.

@Rusty,

You're reading my mind partner...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I agree with you Foggy. I'm not sure why they went with a 50mm case. It would have been a better watch at 45mm or 46mm and quite a bit thinner as well. As I said, at first I was thinking of sending it back and actually getting the Hamilton version of this. Hamilton's is smaller, but boring. Debaufré makes a great version of this, but as they say, Value Pays are a wonderful thing!

As a 'Noob' in here, I'm reluctant to interject my 2¢, but, FWIW, among ALL the "Fiegers" I've considered lately, the C~D is THE closest to the ca.WW-II 'B-Uhr" 55mm ORIGINALS!

Regardless, I really enjoyed reading a GREAT review of a GREAT "Flieger!" ... 10Q BD Much!

BUT! - I was sorry to learn that you sent the C-D back, however, like you said, there ARE 'others' out there!

► Like this 48mm Debaufre "Nav B-Uhr-II" Limited Edition 2824 Auto ...

► Or this 44mm Debaufre "Nav B-Uhr-II" 2824 Auto ...

► As well as this 44mm Christopher Ward "C8" Pilot ...

► And, finally, this 44mm Christopher Ward "C8" PVD Limited Edition ...

Anyway, BEST Regards to ALL! ... especially my friend "Foggie!" ... :thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts