WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of questions regarding the new bronzos.

Is it known yet what kind of buckle will be supplied with the M53/4. I understand that the caseback is steel because of bronze's reaction to sweat, so should we assume that the buckles will be non bronze also?

Also, all of the images of these two watches show the colour of the bronze to be more brown that the golden tones we're more used to seeing with other brands (at shipping not aged). Perhaps this is because there is not a picture of an actual watch available online as they appear to be artists renditions?

Chris/Bes - can you confirm that the watch case will be closer to a golden colour than a brown colour when the watch ships, or better still, post a picture of a real case so we can see the actual colour of the case when it's shipped?

I don't know how I'm going to wait 10 months- I'm so excited already!

Neil

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
A couple of questions regarding the new bronzos.

Is it known yet what kind of buckle will be supplied with the M53/4. I understand that the caseback is steel because of bronze's reaction to sweat, so should we assume that the buckles will be non bronze also?

Also, all of the images of these two watches show the colour of the bronze to be more brown that the golden tones we're more used to seeing with other brands (at shipping not aged). Perhaps this is because there is not a picture of an actual watch available online as they appear to be artists renditions?

Chris/Bes - can you confirm that the watch case will be closer to a golden colour than a brown colour when the watch ships, or better still, post a picture of a real case so we can see the actual colour of the case when it's shipped?

I don't know how I'm going to wait 10 months- I'm so excited already!

Neil
We tried a few tests and settled on CuSn8 bronze which does have a bit warmer tone to it and will get more patina over time. The web images are renders but the tone should be pretty close. Bronze starts out as a copper/brassy tone then gets more brown/green and darker as it ages. So what color to put on the website that will reflect the actual tone is nearly impossible to sort out as the color changes over time. The crowns will be made in the same bronze, casebacks stainless steel (to keep that patina off your skin), and the buckles will be stainless steel and PVD matched to a medium bronze tone. As soon as we have a case sample we will post up tons of pics as we always do :)

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
M-Case Lugs Double-bored, from now on?

Hey, guys,

As a neophyte strap-builder (and many-time strap buyer), I've got a question/concern about the new Tungsten-Class bronze bodied watches. I'm very excited about my incoming M53 (the discriminating man's bronze :lol:), but I'm hoping that its lugs will be double-bored just as the V-series cases are.

One of my only two, related complaints about my M28 (still my favorite LT) are both related to the lug-bore and attendant bracelet/strap fitment issues. The super-tight tolerance between the springbar bore and the sharp, underside edge of my M28 makes fitting the bracelet a challenge and finding thick leather straps that don't scrub, when worn, a problem, too.

The V1, by contrast, is a joy to build a strap for and -- I'm assuming -- to fit its new bracelet to. The extra set of lug holes allows for a variety of strap options, like the super-thick V-strap I just built.

I'm very hopeful that the new M53/M54 will also come double-bored. Below is a picture of the V1's interior lug surface showing double-bore. This was an image I sent to a small-tubing manufacturer who's making me some chrome strap, springbar sleeves (hypodermic tubing) that will make strap removal and installation much easier. Note the double bore at lugs...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We tried a few tests and settled on CuSn8 bronze which does have a bit warmer tone to it and will get more patina over time. The web images are renders but the tone should be pretty close. Bronze starts out as a copper/brassy tone then gets more brown/green and darker as it ages. So what color to put on the website that will reflect the actual tone is nearly impossible to sort out as the color changes over time. The crowns will be made in the same bronze, casebacks stainless steel (to keep that patina off your skin), and the buckles will be stainless steel and PVD matched to a medium bronze tone. As soon as we have a case sample we will post up tons of pics as we always do :)
Thanks for clearing that up, Chris. Steel buckles PVD'd to a medium bronze tone was not what I was expecting, but makes sense.

I await the pics of a real case with baited breath!

Ladd Gardner - you build straps? You sell any of them? I have plenty of 24mm straps from ABP & K Wong and so on, but they are too thick to be used on my M10. If you're making straps skinny at the lug ends I would love to see!

Neil

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, Chris. Steel buckles PVD'd to a medium bronze tone was not what I was expecting, but makes sense.

I await the pics of a real case with baited breath!

Ladd Gardner - you build straps? You sell any of them? I have plenty of 24mm straps from ABP & K Wong and so on, but they are too thick to be used on my M10. If you're making straps skinny at the lug ends I would love to see!

Neil
Neil, I am a wannabe strap maker trying to learn the craft. There's zero information available (okay, very little, then), so this has been a voyage of discovery and some frustration. The Lum-Tec TungstenM is a very difficult case to make a thick leather strap for. The combination of very tight tolerance and razor-sharp case bottom make strap design, for it, very tough. It's not an issue if you want a very skinny leather or rubber strap -- a look that doesn't appeal to me -- but it's a challenge to craft a thick strap that looks very good at the lug (in section) but doesn't scrub the bottom of the case. It's sort of "hit 'n' miss." :001_unsure:

I've made about a dozen for my M28, and about 6 fit perfectly, three are marginal, and three have been recut for other LTs.

I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years, after which I'll try to get John to sell me a sponsor slot and I'll make an even bigger pain in the --- of myself than I do already. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Neil, I am a wannabe strap maker trying to learn the craft. There's zero information available (okay, very little, then), so this has been a voyage of discovery and some frustration. The Lum-Tec TungstenM is a very difficult case to make a thick leather strap for. The combination of very tight tolerance and razor-sharp case bottom make strap design, for it, very tough. It's not an issue if you want a very skinny leather or rubber strap -- a look that doesn't appeal to me -- but it's a challenge to craft a thick strap that looks very good at the lug (in section) but doesn't scrub the bottom of the case. It's sort of "hit 'n' miss." :001_unsure:

I've made about a dozen for my M28, and about 6 fit perfectly, three are marginal, and three have been recut for other LTs.

I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years, after which I'll try to get John to sell me a sponsor slot and I'll make an even bigger pain in the --- of myself than I do already. :lol::lol:
I have actually been fairly lucky with my custom strap purchases for my M25. Of the 4 or 5 straps I have for it, only one (the Swiss ammo strap below) has had the 'rubbing the case' issue. After realizing that was a potential issue with the M tungsten cases, I've been sure to mention that to the strap makers I order from. With my most recent ammo strap purchase (that I've been too lazy to take photos of yet), the strap maker was able to make it clear the case without any rubbing!

You can kind of see some of the scuff marks caused by the rubbing against the case in these two photos:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I have actually been fairly lucky with my custom strap purchases for my M25. Of the 4 or 5 straps I have for it, only one (the Swiss ammo strap below) has had the 'rubbing the case' issue.
Yup, it's definitely doable, just takes extra fussing and would be an unnecessary precaution with Chris' double-bored lugs. I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that the double-bore frees up creative options, and -- if it's an attractive extra for the V-series cases -- why not make it a standard Lum-Tec feature spanning all LT lines?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just received two bronze pre-V buckles from a fellow watchmaker making a bronze dive watch. They look rough finished, and should go well with a beat up and patinad bronze watch when they patina themselves :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yup, it's definitely doable, just takes extra fussing and would be an unnecessary precaution with Chris' double-bored lugs. I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that the double-bore frees up creative options, and -- if it's an attractive extra for the V-series cases -- why not make it a standard Lum-Tec feature spanning all LT lines?
Yup, I agree! If LT can make it happen, I'd love to see it added as a standard feature in the LT collection. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I just received two bronze pre-V buckles from a fellow watchmaker making a bronze dive watch. They look rough finished, and should go well with a beat up and patinad bronze watch when they patina themselves :)
FD, the one on the right in below picture by chance?

Reactions: Ladd Gardner

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
We tried a few tests and settled on CuSn8 bronze which does have a bit warmer tone to it and will get more patina over time.
Good choice Chris, and thanks for sharing the alloy that will be used with us. :thumbup:
Now the hunt for a nice matching bronze buckle can begin!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wonder if the bronze case can have bronze pvd on it to stop patina.

I too like new looking watches.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Why would you bronze PVD a bronze case? If you're looking for the 'new bronze' look without having to deal with everything that comes with real bronze, wouldn't it be cheaper to just bronze PVD stainless steel?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Could you do it, I'm sure it's possible for someone to come up with a formula to make it look right. Will you find anyone willing to do it as a one-off? I doubt it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Since there will no bracelet for the bronze models it should be very easy to drill the lug holes in a better spot to facilitate thicker strap. I seriously hope Chris considers this because the difficulty in changing straps was one of the reasons I sold my M16.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

That sounds just about as silly as black PVD on a Tungsten :blink:

Fresh from the factory CuSn8 looks like brass, or maybe even slightly like a rose gold PVD color.
If you want that, maybe get a (rose) gold PVD model instead?

Only other reasonably easy solution I can think of is applying a satin clear coat lacquer.
This should stick quite well to a brushed surface, but you would need to be careful not to ding or scratch it, or else...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts