WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been about 3 months since I have owned this watch. It really is a work of art, have gotten numerous compliments throughout its time. Anyways wanted to see how much secs/day people are gaining or losing with this watch. Here's a pic of her with a new band he got for Christmas.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
my M49 is about -2 sec a day for the first day then the second and third days the timing goes about -15/-20 seconds a day off, never had a watch do that but this one seems to. I've checked it several times to make sure, strangely inconsistent.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
my M49 is about -2 sec a day for the first day then the second and third days the timing goes about -15/-20 seconds a day off, never had a watch do that but this one seems to. I've checked it several times to make sure, strangely inconsistent.
I'd call Bes at LT and request a service form. They're fantastic, and they don't want a watch of theirs doing that. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Wait, let me get this... By '-2 seconds for the first day' you mean you have fully wound the watch? Then wear it the 2nd and 3rd day without winding and you get this timing?
If so, that doesn't seem right to me. It is normal that a watch is most accurate when (nearly) fully wound, but you should not get that much of a difference with a half or less wound mainspring.

·
Registered
297 Posts
At first, my M49 was almost dead on, losing maybe 2 seconds a week. After maybe 3 weeks, it was losing about 4-5 seconds a day, every day, which is where it is now. It's consistent, which is a very good thing.

I need to send it in for:

1. timing regulation

2. purple haze (outer AR) removal (purple AR bugs me even more than the watch losing time)

3. new spring pins

Both of the original spring pins have fallen apart, the first one in the first month I owned the watch. The ones I'm currently using don't break, but they're worthless for use with the bracelet (leaves the end links WAY too loose).

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Wait, let me get this... By '-2 seconds for the first day' you mean you have fully wound the watch? Then wear it the 2nd and 3rd day without winding and you get this timing?
If so, that doesn't seem right to me. It is normal that a watch is most accurate when (nearly) fully wound, but you should not get that much of a difference with a half or less wound mainspring.
yes, wound up tight it seems to do really well the first 24 hrs, then it starts getting erratic. I always test for accuracy the first time just sitting and not wearing it. I did this test twice with the same results.
Christmas day I set the watch with the atomic clock and wound it 40 turns, put the watch on my wrist and have worn it ever since and I just checked and it's about -16 secs in 36 hours.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
yes, wound up tight it seems to do really well the first 24 hrs, then it starts getting erratic. I always test for accuracy the first time just sitting and not wearing it. I did this test twice with the same results.
Christmas day I set the watch with the atomic clock and wound it 40 turns, put the watch on my wrist and have worn it ever since and I just checked and it's about -16 secs in 36 hours.
Hi,

That is really odd.. for how long do you own this watch now?
I've seen a couple watches that needed some 'break in' time before they became consistent in their timings.
If yours is still almost factory fresh I would give it a few weeks usage and check again.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Hi,

That is really odd.. for how long do you own this watch now?
I've seen a couple watches that needed some 'break in' time before they became consistent in their timings.
If yours is still almost factory fresh I would give it a few weeks usage and check again.
yes, it's been in service for less than 2 weeks, I'm going to wear it quite a bit over the next couple of weeks before I get too worried.. I'm hoping it will become more accurate with a little more break in. I reset it last night and in 12 hours it's about +3 seconds fast sitting on my desk, that's the first time it's shown in + territory.

I did see a thread last night where a Lum-Tec was acting in a similar fashion to mine, I don't remember which movement he had but I think he sent it in for a look-see.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
mine was fast.
I sent it in and got it back.

I reset last night and today its still fast.
Set it against a reference; wear it, continuously (even overnight, while you sleep); then, after 24 hrs, make a note of its +/- seconds.

Start a journal and track it for 7 days, checking the time at the same time each day. When I journal my new automatic/mechanicals, I check the time each morning at 6:00 AM, but you can choose a time that's convenient for you. Keep track of the day you started, then make a note each successive day to see how much time the watch is gaining on your wrist. Once you've gotten a good feel for it (don't check it every ten minutes, or you'll go nuts), you can determine with some confidence what's going on.

Keep in mind that +/- 5 seconds in 24hrs. is within COSC standards and pretty incredible for a non-quartz watch. Really, if it's +/- 10 spd, I wouldn't panic with a brand new, freshly regulated watch. Give it a month or so to settle in, and just maintain your journal, checking the watch each day. Many times new watches that are a little bit fast will "settle in" over the first thirty-days, or so. I've had this happen with many, many watches.

Once you've had the watch for a month, or so -- and you're relatively happy (and realistic!) about a non-quartz watch's capabilities -- you can experiment with "positional regulation," which involves finding the overnight position on your bedside table that causes your watch to lose a few seconds. Be patient, if you can, and get to know your watch. If it's close, now (+/- 10 seconds/24 hrs) it will probably get closer to "zero" as you break it in.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
mine was fast.
I sent it in and got it back.

I reset last night and today its still fast.
Fast as in how many seconds fast? I like fast over slow but it should be within certain limits of course.
You can't simply expect quartz accuracy from even the most expensive mechanical movements.
It just isn't possible, since there are too many factors involved that will interfere a tiny little bit with how your watch is running.
Think gravity, bumps, orientation, temperature and what not... and the way it is regulated in the first place.

So, how fast is it now then daily?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
yes, it's been in service for less than 2 weeks, I'm going to wear it quite a bit over the next couple of weeks before I get too worried.. I'm hoping it will become more accurate with a little more break in. I reset it last night and in 12 hours it's about +3 seconds fast sitting on my desk, that's the first time it's shown in + territory.

I did see a thread last night where a Lum-Tec was acting in a similar fashion to mine, I don't remember which movement he had but I think he sent it in for a look-see.
Okie, still fresh then... A lot can still change over the next month or so.
I have the M50 which has the exact same movement and mine is running a bit slow.
When I'm wearing it, it looses a few seconds but I can make up for those lost seconds by placing it face down at night.
In the morning it has gained pretty much all it had lost during the day, so it remains pretty close to actual correct time like this :cool1:

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
We adjust these to average +/- 3 seconds or better out of 6 positions on our machines. We let them run a full reserve then check again and adjust as needed. Normally we do not need to re-adjust as they are still in spec. If the timing is fine then changes it is normally because either you are not getting a full wind and you may want to try a manual wind every few days, or even because you may be shaking it around a lot and causing the timing to slow temporarily. If you shake the watch it takes about 20 seconds to resume normal timing. Actual use can vary from what we adjust and see on timing machines and we understand this so we offer free adjustments for life. If we see +2 on our machines and you are seeing −15 in actual use we can adjust to compensate for your personal usage.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
yep, tried it again... strange since I've never had a watch do this sort of thing. the first 24 hrs +3 sec, the next 12 hrs, -12 secs. I'll give it a month or so and if it's still goofy then I'll send it in for a check up about the time I'm ordering something else or when the M62 is ready, I'm sure it's nothing serious.:thumbup1:

anybody else had erratic timing from this Miyota movement as it drops below half of it's reserve?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fast as in how many seconds fast? I like fast over slow but it should be within certain limits of course.
You can't simply expect quartz accuracy from even the most expensive mechanical movements.
It just isn't possible, since there are too many factors involved that will interfere a tiny little bit with how your watch is running.
Think gravity, bumps, orientation, temperature and what not... and the way it is regulated in the first place.

So, how fast is it now then daily?
about 8 seconds per day fast.

what i am doing is setting it about a minute slow and then in a week its about even.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just timed mine today it was dead on or the first 24 hours. Then after that it gained a second and within a 48 hr period it had gained two seconds. At first the watch was gaining about 5 to 8 seconds per day consistently. I have worn the watch for the first 24 hrs without removing it but between 24 and 32 it gained about two seconds and has stayed their up until the 48 hr marker. I wounded it once per day. I wonder why it gained after he 24 hr period...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just timed mine today it was dead on or the first 24 hours. Then after that it gained a second and within a 48 hr period it had gained two seconds. At first the watch was gaining about 5 to 8 seconds per day consistently. I have worn the watch for the first 24 hrs without removing it but between 24 and 32 it gained about two seconds and has stayed their up until the 48 hr marker. I wounded it once per day. I wonder why it gained after he 24 hr period.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts