WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Wondering to know your thoughts about the lume on LumTec watches, are they should last their intensity the same? I´m talking about how long is normal to be bright? Once you charged with some High Intensity Light at night... I know there are differences in colors so the intensity is different, but once a LumTec watch has been charged, how long should last in full intensity, how long in mid intensity and how long in low intensity?

Is there any kind of treatment for the watch to make it lum longer?

Thanks for your thoughts

Sincerely

Sergio

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Questions asked many times before and not easy to answer because too many variables.

If you are looking for something you can see all night every night no matter what, buy something with tritium tubes...

Reactions: JulyWest

·
Registered
845 Posts
It is my understanding LUM-TEC uses SuperLuminova but in many more layers than most watch makers.

Of these lume’s C3 or what appears as white is the most lasting lume available.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
^^ as above, and I think orange, as on the M30, is at the weaker end. Nonetheless,I have it on my M18 and so long as there is some level of ambient light during the night, I'm able to read it. But it's not my brightest LT

Reactions: sidecross

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree - it's far too subjective to compare lume on the basis asked for by the OP. Given the more liberal applications of lume (taking into account the respective color), I'd be more curious to see where Lum Tec falls in terms of the relative standards set by SuperLuminova:

Any takers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question is more related in how long last, my M30 onces is charged has an impressive LUME, but will weak really soon... I know is orange but even the green ones is the same...It has two color lume...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here's something. My Sinn U1 (very white C1 lume on wide hands and hour markers, under very clear double sided AR) and my M49 (slightly off white C3 lume on smaller hands, under bluish/purple internal AR) last about the same length of time, about 6 hours. The lume on my M49 is a lot thicker than the lume on my U1. In other words, there are a lot of variables to take into account.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know is orange but even the green ones is the same...It has two color lume...
Granted, the chart above does not factor Lum Tec lume into the equation, but since they use a similar lume as SuperLuminova, the same principals seem to generally apply - dark oranges and dark greens only respectively retain 30% and 70% of their lume power 30 minutes after excitation.

Here's something. My Sinn U1 (very white C1 lume on wide hands and hour markers, under very clear double sided AR) and my M49 (slightly off white C3 lume on smaller hands, under bluish/purple internal AR) last about the same length of time, about 6 hours. The lume on my M49 is a lot thicker than the lume on my U1. In other words, there are a lot of variables to take into account.
Definitely. The nature of the AR seems to be where a lot of the subjectivity comes into play. Conversely, if you look at the "blackout" sapphire crystals offered by LT for example, the reverse AR coating traps illumination on the inside of the watch, helping the lume effect lasting a bit longer.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Granted, the chart above does not factor Lum Tec lume into the equation, but since they use a similar lume as SuperLuminova, the same principals seem to generally apply - dark oranges and dark greens only respectively retain 30% and 70% of their lume power 30 minutes after excitation.

Definitely. The nature of the AR seems to be where a lot of the subjectivity comes into play. Conversely, if you look at the "blackout" sapphire crystals offered by LT for example, the reverse AR coating traps illumination on the inside of the watch, helping the lume effect lasting a bit longer.

Can't speak to the chart but there is no way Lumtecs Orange is only 30% as bright as C3. The other night I feel asleep early and I read my orange M9 almost 12 hours later. The orange is an incredible performer. Anyone who has avoided a Lumtec orange because they are afraid of poor lume is making a huge mistake.

Then we have to factor in how wide the application is. The hairline second hand fades almost instantly and the thinner font watches die much faster also. Partly because the thinness doesn't allow as high an application and partly due to lack of surface area.

And one other thing. Lumtec may use a 6 layer process but that doesn't really mean anything as the layers are not always the same height. I think the full piled all the way up lume is 6 layers at 6 microns each totaling 36 microns. (Please correct that if my memory fails me) I would rather Lumtec rate their lume application in height so we could get a real idea of what kind of performance to expect. The old 1-5 rating system didn't work. I had watches rated a 4 that doubled the performance of watches rated a 5.

Either way they are getting about as much out of Superluminova as is humanly possible. Go spend $5000 I doubt you'll do any better and often times not even as good. The custom blend orange is quite incredible and I'd be surprised if any company can beat it. Plus it looks awesome :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think he's looking to get an idea what the drop off rate is...sort of the half-life of the lume.

But I believe it depends on how you charge it as well. I didn't realize that you could "overcharge" the lume and doing so makes the drop rate sooner and steeper...sort of like the star that burns twice as bright last half as long kind of thing.

Also, without fancy gear that can detect levels of brightness, there is some subjectivity involved. Otherwise, how can you tell it's Half or 1/8 of the original brightness? Did your eyes adjust to the light/darkness around you each time you evaluated the lume?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well at night what i did was to charged the Lume on my HID lights of my car, i wait about 30 seconds and i got full brightness on everything, green and orange lume, but i no more than 2-3 minutes it looks about 50% of brightness, i compared to one TAWATEC eo diver i had and yes once is charged is far superior, but in less than 5 minutes is almost equal or less than tritium tubes, once i reach my final destination the Lume on my M30 is practically dead and is no more than 30 minutes, this compared to the low and continue brightness of the tritium tubes...

I do not know if stayin all day long at sun exposure will make it last longer, normally i wear my watch and i´m inside my office so is charged but very light of surrounding light ....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Try using an INOVA X5 Ultraviolet flashlight. It use two 3 volt 123 lithium batteries and a few seconds of this soft blue light will charge your lume to the maximum.

Care should be taken to not ever shine an UV light directly into year eyes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a UV Torch and is amazing how quickly will charge the LUME, but is the same, i need to take time how long last, i´ll try to do it and post it later...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I bought a UV Torch and is amazing how quickly will charge the LUME, but is the same, i need to take time how long last, i´ll try to do it and post it later...
All my LUM-TEC Combat B watches last the whole night with only a few seconds of the six volt INOVA 5 LCD UV light. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
All my LUM-TEC Combat B watches last the whole night with only a few seconds of the six volt INOVA 5 LCD UV light. :thumbup1:
But these have C3 lume... which you can't really compare to the orange other than it makes the orange' performance look bad.

Anyhow, I have seen too many lume discussions over the past years...
Anyone not satisfied with how long it last, I will usually just say go with the tritium tubes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nooooooo

I really want a LUME watch, well maybe i need a trade for other with C3 instead of Orange....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nooooooo

I really want a LUME watch, well maybe i need a trade for other with C3 instead of Orange....
You really can't go wrong with the Combats. I never had a problem with my B14 in Afghanistan seeing the dial anytime through the night or in the morning (keeping in mind the living areas were kept completely blacked out so unless someone had a personal light on, there was zero light in there). I also have an M9 and it doesn't glow as bright, but I didn't expect it to compete with the B14.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The way I see it (no pun intended), if you want long lasting, constant level lume, you wear a watch that uses tritium tubes. I have a Ball Mad Cow and a Traser P 6600 Type 6 MIL-G, they do just that. FWIW, the Traser has the brightest Tritium I've ever seen.

I didn't buy my M49 or my M24 to compete with my Tritium watches in the lume department. I bought 'em because they looked like watches I'd REALLY like and I'd heard that Lum-Tec service rocks. I was right on both counts.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I gave a lot of thought to buying a tritium tube watch, this year, but shied away in the end. Just couldn't get past the look of the tubes.

I love my Lum-Tec watches (M28, V1, Super Combat B2), but there's nothing particularly earth-shattering or "high-tech" about adding thickness (more layers) of lume in order to enhance luminescence. That's, in no way, intended to be a swipe at the Ohio watch company that can count me one of its biggest "fanboys." It's just that Lum-Tec is a victim of its own marketing strategy, to some extent: Lots of untutored buyers think they're going to need a welder's helmet to protect their eyes after donning a Lum-Tec watch. These threads, "Why is my Lum-Tec fading so fast?" keep surfacing like a B-Hollywood zombie remake. "Dawn of The Luminescent UNDEAD!" :scared::scared:

I have several dive watches (e.g., Seiko "Orange Monster") that equal or surpass my Lum-Tecs, but I don't feel disappointed. I think Lum-Tec achieves the right balance of dial design and applied Super-Luminova (or, what ever the lume is), so that dial elegance is never sacrificed on the altar of brightness or duration of glow.

I think LT gets that balance just right. I can read all of my watches' dials 'till the "dawn's early light," no problem.

Another reason I prefer painted lume (to "tubes") is that I depend on "just charged" brightness, more so than I would "staying power," which is the supposed benefit of tritium tube watches. I'm not a night watchman, so I don't routinely prowl warehouse parking lots, nor are my eyes forced to compete -- when checking a watch dial -- with interference from ambient light sources. If I'm in a movie theater, I have no problem reading the dial on my three Lum-Tecs.

The more typical scenario, for me, is the case where I've just entered a restaurant from the bright, glaring light of high-mountain Colorado, and I'm chatting with the hostess about table-availability: I can check my watch, then (or for thirty minutes thereafter) and have NO PROBLEM reading its ultra-bright dial. Would a tritium tube watch be as easily readable to my lens-adapting, iris-constricted eyesight during that initial several minutes? I don't think so -- the super-bright painted lume wins, hands-down, in that commonplace, everyday instance.

I'm not saying there's NEVER a case where tritium would be a nice convenience: Obviously there are cases where tritium wins, but I've never felt that angst -- a case where I wanted to read my Lum-Tec but couldn't -- and thought, "Man, I wish I was wearing a tube watch!"

The other deal-breaker for this addicted "gadget hound," is that I don't like the idea of owning a watch that's going to need to have its tubes replaced in order to maintain its brightness. I'm happy with my Lum-Tecs, now, and I know I'm going to be just as happy a decade from now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesterday i charged the Lume of my M30 before go to sleep, i woke about 5am and still saw the light glow of the 12, 3, 6 and 9 of my watch, so i guess is because are the biggest part being lumed.

I´ll look to get another LumTec but this time with C3 lume...

Thank you to everyone involved...

Sergio

1 - 20 of 51 Posts