WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the fence about purchasing an M18. I think the LUM-TEC watches look terrific, very striking. I read the thread detailing LUM-TEC's decision, after thorough testing, to amend the power reserve rating to 38-41 hours. I'm curious how durable the movement is, specifically how shock resistant? I'm not planning on using the watch as a hammer but I'd like to know if it will withstand standard wear while on my wrist? I don't know anything about vintage Soviet automatic movements. Are they high quality movements?

I recently bought a Seiko automatic, similar price to LUM-TEC. After a month of wearing it, the watch won't keep time and has no power reserve. Regardless of how much I wind it, the watch dies within an hour or two of being taken off my wrist. I had to return it for warranty work.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
I've been on the fence about purchasing an M18. I think the LUM-TEC watches look terrific, very striking. I read the thread detailing LUM-TEC's decision, after thorough testing, to amend the power reserve rating to 38-41 hours. I'm curious how durable the movement is, specifically how shock resistant? I'm not planning on using the watch as a hammer but I'd like to know if it will withstand standard wear while on my wrist? I don't know anything about vintage Soviet automatic movements. Are they high quality movements?

I recently bought a Seiko automatic, similar price to LUM-TEC. After a month of wearing it, the watch won't keep time and has no power reserve. Regardless of how much I wind it, the watch dies within an hour or two of being taken off my wrist. I had to return it for warranty work.
The reason we chose the vintage autos was the durability. They are more shock resistant than any movement i have personally tested. For example, We dropped one from 10 feet and the timing did not lose a beat. Nothing broke. We repeated this actually several times and failed to hurt it. They are built like a tank! Not pretty, but tough as nails!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M18 Clasp

That's great. I appreciate your response. I do have a follow-on question not related to the M18 movement. I apologize if pics are shown in other LUM-TEC threads, but I'd like to see some pics of the M18 stainless steel bracelet clasp? Is it made out of stamped metal? What sort of locking mechanism does it have? I can't seem to find a good picture of it closed and open.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
That's great. I appreciate your response. I do have a follow-on question not related to the M18 movement. I apologize if pics are shown in other LUM-TEC threads, but I'd like to see some pics of the M18 stainless steel bracelet clasp? Is it made out of stamped metal? What sort of locking mechanism does it have? I can't seem to find a good picture of it closed and open.
Sorry for the quick crappy pics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just reserved my M18

Thanks again for your response. I think the clasp looks very cool, I like the way the push-button release blends in with the rest of the clasp. I reserved an M18 a couple days ago. Now I'm wrestling with myself on whether or not I should also reserve a C3. Something to wear when I have to dress up a little. All the press I've read on your company seems well deserved so far. I still believe "made in America" means something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reserved a C3

I just saw the teaser pics of the C3 and placed my reservation for one also. The pics look terrific. The reservation price is too good of a deal to pass up on.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
I just saw the teaser pics of the C3 and placed my reservation for one also. The pics look terrific. The reservation price is too good of a deal to pass up on.
Just in time! We are launching it officially later on today so the reserve pricing is valid until we have time to update the website:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C3 - Reserved just in time

I got my reservation in under the wire. I finalized my purchase last evening. I did run into the error while using PayPal where is states "transaction failed" but it looks to have gone through. I was using IE 8. Now I'm eagerly awaiting my C3!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts