WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Send it in, please. Use this service form.
Question: Do you do a quick look/overhaul? If not can you please explain why other than cost, why this is preferable to having the local watch shop put a battery in? I guess the answer depends on whether the wearer has another great watch to wear during the time the watch is away. If I ever needed such service I guess I could always resort to wearing my Omega whilst my Lummie is away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Question: Do you do a quick look/overhaul? If not can you please explain why other than cost, why this is preferable to having the local watch shop put a battery in? I guess the answer depends on whether the wearer has another great watch to wear during the time the watch is away. If I ever needed such service I guess I could always resort to wearing my Omega whilst my Lummie is away.
I have the same question. Wouldn't it cost more to mail it in than to get it changed locally?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would guess insuring proper water resistance after the battery replacement would be one of the leading reasons LT would prefer if they did the replacement rather than a local watch shop.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anything I have sent to LT has come back very quickly so that is definitely the way to go. Wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in the $6.00 small Priority Mail box and it will be perfectly safe.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
I just needed a battery in another brand of watch I have, a 500m diver. I took it a full time professional watch & clock repair service, and low & behold he scratched the case back on an otherwise perfect watch. Ugh!

Moral of the story - send it in! :001_smile:

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
I have the same question. Wouldn't it cost more to mail it in than to get it changed locally?
Would you rather have some guy in a mall open your watch with sub-par tools (possibly scratching your case or caseback or damaging seals or threads) and change the battery with probably what he has on hand that fits rather than the proper battery and close your case back up? Or would you rather send it in and let us clean and lube all the seals, check for anything that needs adjustment, install the proper battery and test the pulse and battery charge then properly assemble with no dust and do a 3 step pressure test.....for free :) We have the interest to keep our customer's watches performing optimally for as long as they own them. The guy in the mall only cares about his $10 for the battery change! Its your call where to send it or take it but keep in mind once the watch is opened by an unauthorized shop it is out of our responsibility to repair any damage they can cause. We can only back up our own work and we do back it up!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would you rather have some guy in a mall open your watch with sub-par tools (possibly scratching your case or caseback or damaging seals or threads) and change the battery with probably what he has on hand that fits rather than the proper battery and close your case back up? Or would you rather send it in and let us clean and lube all the seals, check for anything that needs adjustment, install the proper battery and test the pulse and battery charge then properly assemble with no dust and do a 3 step pressure test.....for free :) We have the interest to keep our customer's watches performing optimally for as long as they own them. The guy in the mall only cares about his $10 for the battery change! Its your call where to send it or take it but keep in mind once the watch is opened by an unauthorized shop it is out of our responsibility to repair any damage they can cause. We can only back up our own work and we do back it up!
Well you've convinced me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just needed a battery in another brand of watch I have, a 500m diver. I took it a full time professional watch & clock repair service, and low & behold he scratched the case back on an otherwise perfect watch. Ugh!

Moral of the story - send it in! :001_smile:

I have had this happen also. Three different watches and three different watch shops. Because of this I will no longer take any watch I own to a place that is not an authorized service center for that particular brand.

The first time it happened was the worst. I needed a battery on a inexpensive quartz watch. I took it to a place in the mall that had hundreds of watches on display. The girl came back 15 minutes later and said she could not get the 4th screw out because it was stripped (rectangular style watch). She then told me she managed to pry the case back up enough to get a new battery in!!!!! Also keep in mind this was the first time this watch had been opened so she was the one that stripped the screw. I was furious, but I had paid before she put the battery in and she refused to refund my money. The case back "looked" like it was sealed up. Fast forward to a couple weeks later on a hot summer day. Every-time I went from outside and back indoors into air conditioning the inside of the glass would fog up.

I had to send the watch itself back to the manufacturer to get a new case back put on properly. So I spent $30 to repair a $150 watch that got damaged during a $12 battery change. I went back the the battery place and demanded they pay the $30. The manager refused but did offer me a store credit. I told her thanks but no thanks as I would never buy anything from them again They would only sell you a battery if they installed it.

The next time I needed a battery I went to a high end Jeweler in town that sells a lot of well known brands. That resulted in a scratched up case back. The 3rd time I had a manual wind watch that needed repair, they did an excellent job on the mechanical's and saved me a few bucks, but again they did a number on the case back.

Moral of the story, if the manufacturer offers this service for free, I will take it all day long, even if I have to spend a couple bucks on shipping. Just the peace of mind knowing that you will get that watch back the way the manufacturer intended it to be is worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
I have had this happen also. Three different watches and three different watch shops. Because of this I will no longer take any watch I own to a place that is not an authorized service center for that particular brand.

The first time it happened was the worst. I needed a battery on a inexpensive quartz watch. I took it to a place in the mall that had hundreds of watches on display. The girl came back 15 minutes later and said she could not get the 4th screw out because it was stripped (rectangular style watch). She then told me she managed to pry the case back up enough to get a new battery in!!!!! Also keep in mind this was the first time this watch had been opened so she was the one that stripped the screw. I was furious, but I had paid before she put the battery in and she refused to refund my money. The case back "looked" like it was sealed up. Fast forward to a couple weeks later on a hot summer day. Every-time I went from outside and back indoors into air conditioning the inside of the glass would fog up.

I had to send the watch itself back to the manufacturer to get a new case back put on properly. So I spent $30 to repair a $150 watch that got damaged during a $12 battery change. I went back the the battery place and demanded they pay the $30. The manager refused but did offer me a store credit. I told her thanks but no thanks as I would never buy anything from them again They would only sell you a battery if they installed it.

The next time I needed a battery I went to a high end Jeweler in town that sells a lot of well known brands. That resulted in a scratched up case back. The 3rd time I had a manual wind watch that needed repair, they did an excellent job on the mechanical's and saved me a few bucks, but again they did a number on the case back.

Moral of the story, if the manufacturer offers this service for free, I will take it all day long, even if I have to spend a couple bucks on shipping. Just the peace of mind knowing that you will get that watch back the way the manufacturer intended it to be is worth it.
it happens all the time. Tools can slip! Our tools can even slip on occasion but the difference is we have the equipment to fix any damage we may cause and we would never send a watch back that is not working perfectly and in not the same condition as received. We ALWAYS cover our work and NEVER charge for battery changes or testing unless another shop has opened the watch already and could have caused damage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fair reply - maybe putting this info up on your website to tell people what a deal it is, and they really should take advantage of it would be a good idea. Otherwise people may wonder like I did whether it's just easier to get it done locally.
I had a similar experience with a 'Camera' shop putting a battery in a Canon AE1 - battery compartment door did not fair so well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Fair reply - maybe putting this info up on your website to tell people what a deal it is, and they really should take advantage of it would be a good idea. Otherwise people may wonder like I did whether it's just easier to get it done locally.
I had a similar experience with a 'Camera' shop putting a battery in a Canon AE1 - battery compartment door did not fair so well.
Lum Tec, LLC

Standard features in every LÜM-TEC watch:

MDV Technology® Extreme luminous hands and dials.
316L surgical grade stainless steel or tungsten carbide.
Thick top grade sapphire crystals.
Top grade anti-reflective crystal coatings.
Top grade straps or bracelets.
Titanium carbide PVD hard coatings on some models.
Large case designs. 38mm-50mm sizes.
Exclusivity. All watches are numbered limited editions.
100 meters/330 ft. minimum water resistance.
Full feature heavy duty movements.
Lifetime timing adjustments on mechanical models.
Lifetime battery replacement on quartz models.
One year limited warranty.
Highest grade packaging and display box set.
Design, assembling, testing, adjusting and quality control in USA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.