WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

M. S. Smith & Co. Pocket Watch

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MudleyStike 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently had a pocket watch passed down to me. As the new steward of this heirloom I would like to learn as much as possible about the watch.

What I do know:
The case, dial and movement are marked "M. S. Smith & Co., Detroit
It is a hunter case (front cover was removed for display by a prior owner)
The inside of the back cover is marked with number 35798

Any information or advice on where to look for some would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It looks like a "jobber" or private label watch; the design (and in particular the use of screws on the crown and ratchet wheels) make me suspect it's a Swiss watch. The case design suggests pre 1900's. Very high grade; the wolf's teeth on the winding gears isn't a common feature.

#5 ·
More Info

Thanks Rob,

I do appreciate the response. I have been searching the web like crazy for images that resemble the case or movement. I think the watch may be a Girard-Perregaux. The case, though not nearly as ornate seems to have the same shape and characteristics as the Esmeralda and another picture of a Girard-Perregaux movement that has very similar winding gears. What do you (or anyone else) think? Am I putting too much stock in the similarities or is it plausable the watch is a GP?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.