WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently had a pocket watch passed down to me. As the new steward of this heirloom I would like to learn as much as possible about the watch.

What I do know:
The case, dial and movement are marked "M. S. Smith & Co., Detroit
It is a hunter case (front cover was removed for display by a prior owner)
The inside of the back cover is marked with number 35798

Any information or advice on where to look for some would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Hello all,

I recently had a pocket watch passed down to me. As the new steward of this heirloom I would like to learn as much as possible about the watch.

What I do know:

Any information or advice on where to look for some would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Mudley,

Beautiful PW there, welcome.

I would check out or join the NAWCC Forum (National Association of Watch Collectors)
It is free and they have a wonderful forum and research tools
on lesser known watches like this one.

Check out this link for more detailed info.

Crescent Watch Case Co. - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello all,

What I do know:

It looks like a "jobber" or private label watch; the design (and in particular the use of screws on the crown and ratchet wheels) make me suspect it's a Swiss watch. The case design suggests pre 1900's. Very high grade; the wolf's teeth on the winding gears isn't a common feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More Info

Thanks Rob,

I do appreciate the response. I have been searching the web like crazy for images that resemble the case or movement. I think the watch may be a Girard-Perregaux. The case, though not nearly as ornate seems to have the same shape and characteristics as the Esmeralda and another picture of a Girard-Perregaux movement that has very similar winding gears. What do you (or anyone else) think? Am I putting too much stock in the similarities or is it plausable the watch is a GP?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts