WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically my LV (Z series purchased last late spring/early summer) is +2 or +2.5 seconds depending on the way the face is at night. The last three days, I noticed it was running slow, and there was a *very* slight stutter with the second hand, that I had not noticed before. I also noticed that the LV is now -6 over a 24 hr period, a difference of 8 - 8.5 seconds.

Today, I am not wearing the watch; but, I will check it tomorrow (using an atomic for comparision) to see if there are any more discrepancies.

Naturally I am concerned. After spending that much money on a timepiece, I expect perfection; but, the practical side of me realizes it is a mechanical instrument and subject to failure.

So, should I be concerned? Time to call Rolex? If so, who is the *best* service center? Any tips? Any advice?

And, should I worry? Well, it appears, I may be beginning to see the same issues encountered here:
http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showthread.php?t=627

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It may have been having an off day. There are so many variables, like you said "depending on the way the face is at night". Bumps, magnets, temperature, etc. It still looks like it's close to COSC specs. My feeling is that autos have their own personalities and I allow for a little variance (within reason, of course).

I would recommend a nice Oysterquartz for such days, to let the other watches in the box know that they aren't the end all be all of timepieces, and they do have to behave themselves.:biggrin:

ps..what's the difference between a Rolex and an Omega?.....The Rolex's ego is bigger:laugh:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Remember that a mechanical watch is most accurate when it is fully wound but if it is getting really bad it is under warrantee still so you can always send it in.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
TF - it does sound like the watch may be in need of service. Since you're in the Northeast, you might try the New York service center. I have an article with my SD service experience that may provide some valuable insight on my Rolex site.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Did you not wear it for a day or so before it started acting funny?
It might have a problem, but then again, it could be a fluke. Keeping an eye on it for a few days (Perhaps giving it a hand wind) might be a good move.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I'll echo the same comments here TF.. I'd check it over the next few days, either wearing it or leaving it in different positions (winding every day if not worn) to see if it's still -6. If so, I'd definitely send it in for service to NY, or if you don't want to be without it for awhile see if any of the local AD's have an authorized watchmaker onsite. A few do & they are qualified by Rolex to open it up to do minor items. If they can resolve it without sending it in great - you're only without it a day or so. Of course, if you send it in you'll get the 'spa treatment' and get it back all spiffy clean & polished, so there's a benefit to your being without it a month or so if you send it in...

Good luck!

Oh, and on which center to use... I've (thankfully) never sent a Rolex in for service, but I've heard nothing but praise about all 3. So I'd just pick the closest (NY) and use them.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone's insight. I left it off the last 48 hours, winding once after 24 hours, and now I am -7. Prior to this, I wore it 5-6 days a week, taking it off only at night, and sometimes I would leave it face up or face down.

I will let it wind down this weekend, wind it up again on Monday, wear it, take it off at night, and if it is still of on Tuesday, send it in.

This leads me to the other question: Assuming something is malfunctioning, and needs to be replaced, does Rolex use new or dare I say rebfurbished parts?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Well, I would lean to say they don't use refurbed parts. It's not like a printer that you can swap a circuit board or roller on, or something like that. Given what the parts are, I'd bet they're not refurbed if they need to replace one (how do you refurb a broken gear or spring?). The only think I can see being refurbed is the movement if the problem and they swap it out a whole movement. I could se that possibly being refurbed, but it would probably still have new parts in it for what ever parts were bad in it.

So the short answer is I doubt they use refurbs for much, but if they do I wouldn't worry about it as it'll still be to the same Rolex high quality standards.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Thanks for everyone's insight. I left it off the last 48 hours, winding once after 24 hours, and now I am -7. Prior to this, I wore it 5-6 days a week, taking it off only at night, and sometimes I would leave it face up or face down.

I will let it wind down this weekend, wind it up again on Monday, wear it, take it off at night, and if it is still of on Tuesday, send it in.

This leads me to the other question: Assuming something is malfunctioning, and needs to be replaced, does Rolex use new or dare I say rebfurbished parts?
Well if it's off -7 in 48 hours, that's still in COSC. So I don't know that they'd service it in warranty, but they might. COSC is -4 - +6 per day. Over 48 hours you've averaged -3.5 per day. Your on the cusp, but still in COSC standards.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
BTW, John, when you called R-USA for your watch service, did you need an RMA number or anything of that nature?

(Reference John's article: http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/19.html)

An RMA number (Returned Merchandise Authorization) is typically assigned when you're returning merchadise you've purchased from a mail order vendor of some sort.

Nope, the instructions in the article are accurate - no reference number needed.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I am perplexed beyond belief. I wore it, let it run for 24 hours off the wrist, wore it, and it is now +1, when before it was consistent at +2/+2.5, then it dipped to -7 for nearly a week, and now it is at +1. I do not work near any magnetic fields, or anything like that. Should I still send it in? Any ideas what causes this? Thanks again for everyone's insight.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Maybe it's your magnetic personality TF. Or it's proof the stars are really out of alignment in the NE causing the Pats 17-0 record...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :laugh: :001_tt2:

No idea, but since it's all over the place, I'd send it in....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did get a little information from Rolex what happend to my LV. I know I won't say this right but here it goes. One of the jewels was loose in the movment, it was a rocker ?? jewel. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
All my watches are babied....I know they can take alot, but it's just hard to be intentionally rough with them. It was never droped hit or anything. That is why it was so strange.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts