WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was searching the web to find some LVs with lugholes (reference post on LV advertisements), I found a few sites, grey and auction, that stated the watch was discontinued; but, when I went to Rolex's site, it was still there.

Anyone hear anything like this, or is it just marketing hype so that someone will rush in purchasing the watch thinking they have just scored a bargain.

BTW, what is Rolex's policy on discontinued watches? Do they still advertise?

Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
From what I can gather mate, the LV was and is a "anniversay edition". I am pretty sure it was never stated by Rolex that they were limited editions.
Rolex never seem to tell anyone when they are about to update a model or discontinue an old one. I have found the best way of forecasting their movements of models is to check their website. Every now and again a model seems to disappear from the site which is always a omen of changes to come.

I have the LV and it's a great watch. As far as I know they are not being discontinued....
There seem to be a lot of them in AD's and on the 2nd hand market at the moment so I wouldn't be keen on paying over the RRP on one.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
The short answer is that it has not as of yet been discontinued. I see no reason why Rolex would discontinue it at this point.

There have long been rumors (since its introduction) that the LV would be limited and that production could cease at any time. But there's never been any factual evidence to support the theory.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
There's certainly been a lot of misconception concerning the LV. Rolex never introduced the reference as a limited edition. Rather as a model to celebrate "50 years of the submariner".
What is known Rolex made fewer LVs in relation to the black sub, but as to numbers only Rolex knows that.
Will it be discontinued? Sure. At some point all are. The question is when. LOL!
I can't imagine anything happening unless and untill Rolex decides to "upgrade" the Sub via changes made to the GMT IIc.
Time will tell.......

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well they couldn't print the new one could they:biggrin:, that would just spoil our WIS fun and basel threads speculation:biggrin:

steve
How true.:laugh::laugh: The only thing we can say with some certainty is the non-scripted rehaut is gone, though still in the pipeline.:thumbup1:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight everyone. And to another sub question......Are Subs ever going to get the inscription on the inside? Or do they have them now?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The Submariner is in the process of the inner bezel inscription, I believe. Should have come online in the all-gold model first. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the inner bezel inscription will eventually be common on all Rolex models, as the hologram is going away, and anti-counterfeiting measures are increasingly important.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
The COSC 14060M has the scripted rehaut. I want to say the lastest M series 16610s do as well.
Correct - I've seen photos of the COSC 14060M with the "rehaut" (new term for me - thanks Mike) as well as the 16610. Several of the sport models in fact.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Rehaut? is that the word they are using for the incsription?
The Rehaut is commonly refered to as the chapter ring. The metal ring the encompasses the dial. Rehaut is the correct term, or in english "the flange".

Rolex was wise to use this area as a platform of anti counterfeiting measures as it's an intergal part of the case.:thumbup1:

I guess I'm of two minds on it though. On some references it OK, but I kinda prefer the clean simple look.:blush:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do prefer the clean look; but, like everything else, stuff changes. Besides, if they do this for all our watches, eventually ours will become classics! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do prefer the clean look; but, like everything else, stuff changes. Besides, if they do this for all our watches, eventually ours will become classics! :)
Honestly, the engraving to me is not really that noticeable. I for one didn't even realize mine had it until I read a post about it and checked mine to see whether or not mine had the engraving.

It is very subtle in person, especially from the distance that "normal" people view watches.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I think if you visit enough sites at the holidays you'll eventually find all the lines are 'discontinued' or 'limited'...

"So run to the phones or mouse & buy now before they're all gone & you greatly disappoint your loved ones by having to buy them an inferior watch for Christmas."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts