WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to be Fair and Balanced (like Newscorp's FOX News :D where I once worked), post your high-end horological horrors (on watches $1000 and up) here, please.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) mine have been minor.

1) A case screw on a Clerc backed out :sneaky2: and it was unavailable at two local ADs. Eventually, it was replaced by the seller :001_tt1: and I have also had one custom-made ($35) just in case.
This illustrates the problems of buying a relatively obscure watch brand.

2) I had a similar issue with a $1000 Invicta Pro Diver. The good news - the screws in the bracelet were the same size as the screw that held the bracelet to the case - unlike the Clerc. So the fix was simple. Take a screw from an unused link. :001_smile:

3) I had the same issue with an expensive Jacques Lemans. There is only one source for the part - the original vendor. Got it after a couple of weeks. But frustrating. Illustrating, again, the pitfalls of buying a brand that's not widely available.

(Of course, this could just mean I have a few screws loose personally).

Beyond that, my horological history is largely trouble free.

·
Banned
927 Posts
My Omega Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50 , purchased in 1999 from World of Watches, broke twice. It stopped working under warranty and was repaired by Omega, and about a year and a half later, stopped again, and cost me almost $400 to repair. I don't remember what went wrong. It has been fine since.

My Accutron VX-200 chrono's (purchased from online AD GEMDAY for my 50th birthday in2/07) screw down crown did not screw down after 6 months of ownership and was repaired by Bulova under warranty. It took about 8 weeks, and has been fine since.

My Rolex Daytona handwind I owned back in the late 80s suffered a broken mainspring if I recall, and was repaired by Rolex NY. I think the repair was about $150 back then. I no longer own that watch.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I got a brand new Breitling Skyland. It gained 14 seconds a day. Then the crown tube broke. My AD ordered a new tube. 6 weeks later, no tube. Not even a word from Breiting. I got a full refund for it, thankfully.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Other than the problem with Invicta higher end pieces over $1000:

Just the recent problem with my JL 7751 when the large second hand came off when I reset the chronograph. Still no word from the vender. I plan to bring this up with a local watchmaker on Tue. I might just have it fixed localy.
This watch was just under $1000

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Tag Heuer Link chronograph that I bought when it was first introduced.
The minute counter stopped counting the minutes after a week.
Returned to the store (BB&B) and was given an exchange since they had another in stock.

Another Tag had a stripped screw down crown after 1 year of use. (very likely my fault)
I took it to the AD and had it back,repaired under warranty, in 3 weeks.

Those are the only 2 so-called "luxury" horror stories in my years of accumulating watches.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I got a brand new Breitling Skyland. It gained 14 seconds a day. Then the crown tube broke. My AD ordered a new tube. 6 weeks later, no tube. Not even a word from Breiting. I got a full refund for it, thankfully.

That sucks!
The Skyland is a great watch.
I almost got one but went with the PO instead.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
My LV is varying greatly between +7 and -8 seconds a day with no apparent ryhme or reason. I called Rolex - NY, and they were great to talk to. All I have to do is send it in, and they will take re-adjust it for me at no charge as the watch is under warranty. I was amazed how polite they were. If they take care of the watch, the way they took care of me over the phone, I should be quite pleased when the watch comes back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts