WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently came across the Lum Tec range of tungsten carbide watches in my quest for a different watch so I am now interested in learning more about them as I thought it was only the M20 that was made of tungsten carbide, seems that is very wrong!

Here is the info I need please gang.

1. What are the differences between the number ie M20, M21, M22 etc etc, are they just comestic or different functions? Pictures would be brilliant!
2. What are the price differences (roughly) between them ie is an M20 double the price of an M21 and why?
3. What are the general (roughly) availabilities of the different types. I am looking to buy a tungsten carbide watch made by Lum Tec so any and all info is welcome.
4. If anyone has one for sale or knows of anyone that does then of course that is most helpful too.

Thank you all

Alex

·
Registered
336 Posts
Some M's have a Handwound movement, some have a ETA 2824-2 ..... but aren't available anymore (almost every Tungsten except the new M52)
If you want such a watch, WatchUseek or the Sales topic in this Forum can be an outcome.
There's is a guy; Valjoux7750 that offers a Tungsten M42 and a M2x ?? To bad I had some unforeseen costs
these few months, because he also had a M26 (which has been sold)

If you like the Tungsten Watches, your best bet is the M52 with a Seiko NH35 movement in it.
It's also cheaper then the M21 etc. or maybe Valjoux7750 has one left.

·
Registered
739 Posts
1. What are the differences between the number ie M20, M21, M22 etc etc, are they just comestic or different functions? Pictures would be brilliant!
Photos should be pretty easy to find yourself, but I'll list every production tungsten model past and present along with the key differences between them all.

• M6 - Sii NH25A automatic, black dial.
  • M7 - Sii NH25A automatic, white/cream reverse lume dial.
  • M8 - Sii NH25A automatic, carbon fiber dial.
  • M20 - ETA 6498-1 manual-wind, carbon fiber dial.
  • M21 - ETA 6498-1 manual-wind, blue dial.
  • M22 - ETA 6498-1 manual-wind, grey dial.
  • M23 - ETA 2824-2 automatic, blue dial.
  • M24 - ETA 2824-2 automatic, carbon fiber dial.
  • M25 - ETA 2824-2 automatic, grey dial.
  • M26 - Soprod 9040 PR automatic, blue dial. (Different from the M28 in that the M26 has a slightly different dial layout and no date window.)
  • M27 - ETA 2893-2 GMT automatic, black dial.
  • M28 - Soprod 9040 PR automatic, blue dial.
  • M52 - Sii NH35 automatic, black dial.

The M6-M8 was the 1st generation (rougher finish, not all the surfaces were polished), the M20-M28 was the 2nd generation (better finishing, uniform polish across all surfaces except the back), and I suppose the M52 can count as the 3rd generation (though it uses the remaining/left over cases from the 2nd generation run, just released 2 years apart).

2. What are the price differences (roughly) between them ie is an M20 double the price of an M21 and why?
Price ranges from just under $1k to just under $2k; the difference in price is in the movements. Google the model numbers and you should be able to find the original MSRPs, if that's what you're after.

3. What are the general (roughly) availabilities of the different types. I am looking to buy a tungsten carbide watch made by Lum Tec so any and all info is welcome.
LUM-TEC just released their newest and final tungsten carbide watch, the M52. If you're interested in purchasing a new tungsten carbide watch by LUM-TEC, the M52 might be your last opportunity to do so! The M20, M21, M22 are not currently listed for sale on LUM-TEC's website, but they are showing "Low Stock" as of a few days ago, so if you're interested in any of those models I'd give LUM-TEC a call directly to see if they've got one sitting around somewhere. Every other model is sold out.

4. If anyone has one for sale or knows of anyone that does then of course that is most helpful too.
Good luck in your search! M Tungstens don't pop up for sale all too often and when they do, they don't last long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all

Thanks for your responses.

Andrew that information is excellent, thank you very much. I am potentially in talks with a guy over an M23. I really like the look of the pictures on Google on it.
Regarding the M52, I have had a look at the pictures and it just looks a little boring to me, nice but I wouldn't choose that.

Based in your knowledge, what do you think a fair price for an excellent condition M23 is at the moment, roughly?

I will keep you updated with how I get on and if I have any more questions :)

Thank you

Alex

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Lumtec main site will answer many of your questions with good pictures, google image search to.

Just a word on the tungsten carbide I've had my M24 since they came out and it still looks new. The weight feels like great on your wrist like gold.. Say goodbye to those stainless steel micro scratches. Personally
I'm done with stainless, unless Lumtec made a watch that really appealed to me that I couldn't get in tungsten or some other material I'll just get the Tungsten over the stainless. I'm tired of having to worry about my jacket scratching my watch.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Does it combined the scratchproof nature of Tungsten?
I would say no.

Uhmmm... Why would you say that? Here's the info directly from Chris. :blink:

Weight is lighter but heavier than SS.
Hardness is softer but not soft enough that you would be able to scratch it without diamond tools.
Color is more of a platinum tone.
Strength is the biggest asset to this material. It reaches close to the hardness of tungsten but it is not brittle like the tungsten is. It is extremely strong.
It is about 3x more expensive than tungsten carbide.
Pricing will be similar to the tungsten series as we will not be doing a Cobalt Chromium bracelet.
Construction will be much tighter and stronger than the M tungsten.
Brushed/matte finishes are possible.

·
Registered
298 Posts
"close to the hardness of tungsten" Close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades.

I went with Tungsten because I've lifted weights with tungsten ring and not a scratch or mark so they aren't brittle either. I wanted toughest of tough saphire and TC.

Tungsten carbide is approximately three times stiffer than steel, with a Young's modulus of approximately 550 GPa,[2] and is much denser than steel or titanium. It is comparable with corundum (α-Al2O3) or sapphire in hardness and can only be polished and finished with abrasives of superior hardness such as cubic boron nitride and diamond

Notice they didn't say comparable to chromium cobalt.

I would venture a guess that they are moving to CC because of the last sentence.

"can only be polished and finished with abrasives of superior hardness such as cubic boron nitride and diamond"

Which says to me easier and cheeper tooling to manufacture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.