WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at Ladd's pictures of his M28 and it got me wondering about Lum-Tec special editions. I wasn't around the Lum-Tec community when the M26 and M28 came out, but are these kinds of special projects regular yearly occurrences? If so, does anyone have a guess to what 2013 might bring? I know most of Lum-Tec's budget is tied up with the Cobalt watches, so maybe something special coming from that line?

I am now totally hooked on this brand and it looks like things just keep getting better and better! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Whilst you are mentioning the Cobalt I'm surprised Chris didn't design a new case for this watch instead of repeating what had come before. In my opinion with the use of new case material and lume technology there was a perfect opportunity to design a unique case to make it truly stand out.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
You guys are a tough audience! :scared:

I think Chris has produced a stunning amount of new watch cases, just in the three years I've been buying Lum-Tecs. The new V-series watches, last year, were a huge success, and this year, for me, the 300M-series divers have been a remarkable success.

When I compare Lum-Tec innovation and the freshness of its designs to, say, Panerai, I'm even more astonished at what's come out of that small shop in Ohio.

I almost come down on the opposite side of this argument: I wish some of Chris' past case designs would be expanded upon -- like the square Bulls of yore -- instead of rushing out and finding something "new" for newness' sake. The M-style pillow cases are a classic for a reason: They are a good fit for many missions, from "sporty" to "dress," IMO. I have never felt under-dressed for the occasion while wearing my M-28, for instance.

Remember that molds (design/prototype, etc.) are very expensive to produce. It's MUCH less expensive to design innovative new dials, or to use existing case molds with new finishes/metals (e.g., bronze, cobalt, PVD, etc.)

I don't mean to be a scourge/scold, and everybody's entitled to his opinion and should make his wishes heard -- that's what this forum is for, after all -- but I think Lum-Tec could lose its way (and its shirt) if it feels as though it has to constantly reinvent the wheel, year in and year out, instead of making subtle refinements to existing successful designs.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I really like the M28 with the new cobalt case.
I would love to see a new series using the Soprod complication with an M-Cobalt case. I think that would be a smashing success. I'd buy one, for sure. I'd hope it wouldn't be the exact same dial, but something similar would be fantastic.

An M-Bronze Soprod (with blue dial) would be off-the-charts...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
LG, don't get me wrong here I'm super stoked that we have the variety we had from Chris, I'm only slightly saddened that an opportunity was missed when introducing two new technologies didn't include a new design to showcase them in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are a tough audience! :scared:
<snip>
I almost come down on the opposite side of this argument: I wish some of Chris' past case designs would be expanded upon -- like the square Bulls of yore -- instead of rushing out and finding something "new" for newness' sake. The M-style pillow cases are a classic for a reason: They are a good fit for many missions, from "sporty" to "dress," IMO. I have never felt under-dressed for the occasion while wearing my M-28, for instance.
Ladd, I am not looking for new designs - I think the current ones are great and have a lot more potential for interesting models! I also totally agree regarding the innovation coming out of a small shop. I just read an old post where Chris stated that the M26/28 tungsten mold cost something like $9600 for 100 watches - that is a pretty big investment for a limited run when you are trying to keep your margins up.

What I was asking was whether releases like the M26 and 28 are common and whether we might expect anything like that this year.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Ladd, I am not looking for new designs - I think the current ones are great and have a lot more potential for interesting models! I also totally agree regarding the innovation coming out of a small shop. I just read an old post where Chris stated that the M26/28 tungsten mold cost something like $9600 for 100 watches - that is a pretty big investment for a limited run when you are trying to keep your margins up.

What I was asking was whether releases like the M26 and 28 are common and whether we might expect anything like that this year.
It's a legit question, and only Chris would know. If I had to guess, I'd say "no" because I think most of the new stuff has already been announced.

I agree with you that the small series, featuring high-end movements with interesting complications are very, very cool. I think -- if I remember correctly -- that the M26/28 series were so expensive because the cases had to be slightly taller to fit the Soprod ("gas gauge") complication. I flipped, when I saw this watch, and had to have it. Another guess is that LT doesn't make enough on these small series watches (25/50 units, etc.) to make it worth Chris' design and marketing efforts. I go nuts for them, and the M26/28 were a steal at their pricing point.

I am solidly in your corner on this, but it's probably an unattractive risk/reward deal for LT.

·
Registered
140 Posts
An alternative could be a modification of design. They could have one of the watches (be it the M or the Bull watches) be the standard. Sort of how the BMW has its looks even though it's a new model; like a signature look.

·
Registered
263 Posts
LG, don't get me wrong here I'm super stoked that we have the variety we had from Chris, I'm only slightly saddened that an opportunity was missed when introducing two new technologies didn't include a new design to showcase them in.
I can understand that Lum-Tec is busy with new models, but it is about time the M case was "evolved" - even something subtle like rounder corners and fatter lugs would be nice. I've (and several other members) been bugging them for a domed crystal option and nada.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would guess that part of the impetus of watches like the M28 was the availability of the movements. I'll bet that one of Chris's distributors told him that they had some Soprod movements available, and would he like any. The number he was able to acquire would have determined the size of the watch run.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I can understand that Lum-Tec is busy with new models, but it is about time the M case was "evolved" - even something subtle like rounder corners and fatter lugs would be nice. I've (and several other members) been bugging them for a domed crystal option and nada.
I truly do understand the reason why the M series continues, bit like the 911 with Porsche but when you are introducing new materials and technology I reckon it deserved the boat being pushed out. From my perspective I've already got an M model and for me at least that is enough because I won't be selling it to be replaced by something the same only newer it's not a car I'm buying but a watch, it needs to be different to prick my interest if you get my drift. The 300M really does interest me but at the moment I haven't seen dial colour combination that grabs me enough to buy and the 600M is too big and it's dial too busy for my liking.

Maybe 2014 will bring something to excite me once again.

Reactions: WnS

·
Registered
263 Posts
I truly do understand the reason why the M series continues, bit like the 911 with Porsche but when you are introducing new materials and technology I reckon it deserved the boat being pushed out. From my perspective I've already got an M model and for me at least that is enough because I won't be selling it to be replaced by something the same only newer it's not a car I'm buying but a watch, it needs to be different to prick my interest if you get my drift. The 300M really does interest me but at the moment I haven't seen dial colour combination that grabs me enough to buy and the 600M is too big and it's dial too busy for my liking.

Maybe 2014 will bring something to excite me once again.
I think you nailed it with the Porsche analogy - same basic form but constant visual refinements. I don't get the 600m Abyss either - is Lum-Tec trying to attack the U-boat market? If so, I suggest a spin-off brand called "Allied Watches".

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Fist of all, I am enjoying this discussion; it's civilized and helpful and fun.

One of the great things about this forum experience is it's helped me realize how many different opinions there are about basic stuff, and how articulately they can be expressed by people of good will. After this recent political season, it's really helped to recharge my batteries and restore my faith in people.

(Mother Theresa boarding bus)

Okay! Now, if I can just reiterate what I was saying EARLIER, and get you chowderheads to see it MY WAY! :001_tt2: :lol::lol:

In just the past couple months, Chris has produced or announced at least five new watch cases: 1) BronzeBat, 2) M Cobalt, 3) Abyss 600M 4) G Series, 5) 300M. That's mind-blowing to me, considering the company is comprised of recycled, eastern-block refugees, and his family who are chained to benches like galley slaves.

Design innovation is THE MAIN reason I'm an LT junkie; there are constant changes, and some of them affect me like the top popping on a jack-in-the-box, but that's fun, too. I'm NOT a fan of the G-Series, with its goofy, skeletonized case/hands (PINK!?!) and its chopped-stencil font: If that's a replacement for the BULL 45, then Rosie O'Donnell is a replacement for Heidi Klum. Ditto the Abyss 600: I don't get it at all. I don't like the chopped stencil font, and I don't like the skeltonized hands. Readability HAS TO SUFFER, and I'm a "form follows function" kind of guy. I even think the M-Auto 300 is a near-miss: For me, the pig's tail squiggles at the four compass points are a turn off: The font's curved numerals aren't thick enough to compensate for those hookworm curves. I just don't like the look at all. On the other hand, I think Chris got it just right with the M-Cobalt, and I've got an M63XL on order. He also nailed the 300M diver! Finally, I wish he'd gone straight to the SuperCombat case/movement for his introduction of the new BronzeBat, but that's for strictly SELFISH reasons. Everything about the Combat B Bronze makes sense to me, and I love that OD green dial. I'm just going to hold out for a SuperCombat implementation.

I just can't see dinging LT for a lack of variety and/or fresh design implementation: Just because they're not MY DESIGN priorities (e.g., the curved crystal; I want one, too) doesn't mean that there isn't an explosion of new creativity in Ohio. As I've said, before, I'm always appalled when Chris doesn't adopt my ideas, overnight: That seems like such a tragic, missed opportunity, but --- life goes on. :lol:

I'm kind of glad that there are some LT designs I strongly dislike because I'd be in the poor house, otherwise. I can't afford to buy more than a couple new LTs each year, and this makes the culling process much easier.

I also keep returning to the customer service LT provides. That eats up HUGE amounts of human resources, guys. Free automatic regulation, for life?? Free battery replacement?? Okay, I'm going to be completely candid and say THAT CAN'T last forever. Every watch I've ever sent back to Lum-Tec has been returned to me inside a week, with no questions asked. I am HARD on watches (think of your average ADD 5-year-old turned loose with a hammer), and nobody's ever asked a question; it's simply: "Fill out our service form, and return the watch." There's a "warranty," with its printed stipulations, but in reality the principals at Lum-Tec will work with their customers, almost forever: They're proud of their watches, and service is king...

So, I wouldn't change anything about LT. I think they've got the creativity/service balance down pat, given their staffing and overhead realities.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.