WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
great pics, what camera, lens did you use for these shots?
Thank you. All pics were taken with a Nikon D90. Some with a 50mm lens, some with an 18-55mm zoom.
The lume shots were taken with a 1sec exposure, using a light source (just a small headlamp) to vary the ambient light to give more or less detail of the case (and more or less visible lume). I use a couple of bits of software to crop and sharpen but that's about it.
All credit to the camera and software - I'm just the dummy pressing the button :blink:.
(And a DSLR is certainly not needed - I know some of the Point & Shoot cameras can give amazing results).

Edit - I notice in some of the images the numerals look a bit distorted. This is because the forum software has squished the original file size down to an acceptable size for display on the forum. I'll probably re-save the originals at something like 800x600 and pop them back in here so they look a bit better.

Edit#2 - Done - that looks better :thumbup1:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Very nice pics pal! :thumbup1:

I notice in some of the images the numerals look a bit distorted. This is because the forum software has squished the original file size down to an acceptable size for display on the forum. I'll probably re-save the originals at something like 800x600 and pop them back in here so they look a bit better.
Actually I don't think it's the larger file size that did this because I save & upload to PhotoBucket's all my photo's from my D90 in their original size. HOWEVER, since the D90 takes pictures in a 4x6 format, and the forum is optimized for 600x800, which is a 3x4 ratio, if I don't crop my native files off the D90 to 3x4 instead of 4x6 then I get the distortion your referencing. I think if you just crop your photo's to 3x4 before uploading them and leave them full-size you'll see this problem go away. And that way the high-res version is still on PhotoBucket (or wherever) should you want it later (or should the forum raise the sizing to 1024x768 in the future). :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice pics pal! :thumbup1:

Actually I don't think it's the larger file size that did this because I save & upload to PhotoBucket's all my photo's from my D90 in their original size. HOWEVER, since the D90 takes pictures in a 4x6 format, and the forum is optimized for 600x800, which is a 3x4 ratio, if I don't crop my native files off the D90 to 3x4 instead of 4x6 then I get the distortion your referencing. I think if you just crop your photo's to 3x4 before uploading them and leave them full-size you'll see this problem go away. And that way the high-res version is still on PhotoBucket (or wherever) should you want it later (or should the forum raise the sizing to 1024x768 in the future). :thumbup1:
Interesting -thanks Scott. I use Flickr Pro, so all I had to do was select a pic size around 800x600 and drop that into this thread. The original size is still in Flickr should I decide I need it for something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts