WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Lum-Tec Display Boxes, wood or cloth/leather?

• The Wood Boxes Rock!

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Leather Would Be Nice (Choice if over 130 IQ)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I'd Like A Free Government Cell Phone

Votes: 5 17.2%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, fellow LT fans...

I don't think I've ever seen this topic raised -- and I'm too lazy to do a thorough search of the archives to dredge up responses from many moons ago -- so I thought I'd conduct a poll of my forum mates to see how you feel about the watch boxes that accompany our new Lum-Tecs when they arrive.

In the past, when I've posted a poll, I've been shocked and disturbed to learn that my ideas are not universally embraced; Analysis with my therapist is ongoing. This time I thought I'd just put the question out there, and see how y'all feel, without first indicating the CORRECT answer. (Spoiler: It's leather, not wood)

So, here's my thinking. I currently have four or five wooden Lum-Tec boxes nesting in my bedroom bureau's lower drawers, and they take up a lot of room. So far, they've disenfranchised my Spiderman brief collection, and I've got more LTs inbound. It's a problem in search of a solution.

I'm thinking that leather boxes, or even cloth ones, might be easier to store and/or pack for my annual ascent of Everest. I sometimes take several of my watches, when we travel, and the wooden boxes don't play well in my fabric-sided, roll-on luggage.

SO, here's the poll. :scared:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I am confused by this poll. Are you asking if we would like to see LT switch boxes because you can't fit them in your luggage? If so, why do you take the LT boxes with you? Why not just buy a nice leather watch roll? The wooden boxes are awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am confused by this poll. Are you asking if we would like to see LT switch boxes because you can't fit them in your luggage? If so, why do you take the LT boxes with you? Why not just buy a nice leather watch roll? The wooden boxes are awesome.
I appreciate your not participating, since your confusion might skew the results, and this is going straight to the Pentagon after I collate the answers.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ladd, for travel I suggest some of the nice travel pouches that are available for watches. I would never take a watch box when I travel, but that is just me. Cheers, Bill P.
Thanks, Bill.

I've never seen a travel pouch, so I guess I need to do some research.

I think, sometimes, any questions surrounding the status quo are immediately taken to be criticisms of Lum-Tec, which can result in cavalry charges from all directions. I've enjoyed the wooden boxes that LT sends, but they do take up a fair amount of room, regardless of how one stores them. I've seen a leather version -- maybe an earlier style? -- that Lum-Tec used to ship, and, for me, that would be preferable, since they'd be easier to stack without marring the surfaces of the boxes beneath them.

My dad used to have an old leather dopp kit, back in the day, when men went on business trips with shirt jewelry (cuff links, studs, tie-tacks etc), and he'd just throw his watches in, when he went on road. My attire consists of work shirts, jeans, etc., so maybe a "travel pouch" is the answer. Just thought maybe a nice leather box, vs. wood, would be a nice alternative. If LT offered one, I'd buy it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
New boxes would be a different material but they would still be the same size so what's the difference? What you are really asking is not a different material so much as a smaller box. In any case you should get a travel case. That's the answer to your problem.

I agree the wood is perfect. Leather isn't really leather anyway it's vinyl. Real leather would be too expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New boxes would be a different material but they would still be the same size so what's the difference? What you are really asking is not a different material so much as a smaller box. In any case you should get a travel case. That's the answer to your problem.

I agree the wood is perfect. Leather isn't really leather anyway it's vinyl. Real leather would be too expensive.
You make some good points. I'd disagree with one statement, though, and that's the one about leather. It's actually quite affordable, at least cowhide leathers are VERY affordable. If you look on Amazon, there are lots of VERY LARGE dopp kits (all leather) for sale in the $30-50 range, and they're stitched and finished very nicely, and they have 5-star reviews.

I don't know what Chris pays for the wooden boxes, but they are beautiful, for sure. I am both a professional woodworker and a hobbyist leather worker, who's made watch straps, handbags, and I'm currently finishing up a nice saddle for my wife's Quarter Horse.

Wood boxes -- you're right, because of the nature of wood -- need to be larger to maintain their structural integrity. They also have sharp edges and easily marred finishes. Again, I'm NOT making the case for a discontinuation of Lum-Tec's current display boxes: The wood is fine, if that's what the customers seem to prefer.

What I AM saying is that, for those of us who've been longtime Lum-Tec purchasers -- and who've, therefore, accumulated a collection -- maintaining storage for stacks of these large, wooden boxes takes up a fair amount of space. Just an observation, NOT a criticism.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There are lots of alternatives out there beside a wooden box, Bremont for example give you a very nice leather pouch and my Breitling came in a rather attractive formed plastic box. Though to be honest I really like this wooden box, its finish is first rate plus the smell when first opened was class which is why I voted to keep the wood.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
This was discussed a while back. I'd like to have a leather Lum-Tec collectors box with lumed Lum-Tec stitched on the outside lid!

Reactions: Ladd Gardner

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Ladd, I'm surprised an experienced fieldsman such as you is not aware of the benefits of packing spare watches in your socks when traveling. Of course, this does present a few challenges for the return trip home :eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I love the wooden boxes! Get yourself a nice leather watch roll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
To be honest, if it meant getting a (probably a somewhat slight) discount off the price of the watches, I'd be perfectly OK if they were accompanied by a much cheaper box or case.

Don't get me wrong, the laminated wooden presentation boxes LTs are shipped in now are a nice touch and all, but after I unbox my watches the presentations boxes just end up stacked in the top corner of my closet never to be seen again unless I sell its the watch it belongs to. This pretty much goes for every watch/watch box I currently own.

Like most people here, I'd imagine, I've already got a watch box where I store my collection as well as a Pelican case with custom cut foam that I use while traveling with more than one watch.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.