WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Following up on a thread I started earlier in the week about my M300M-2 mounted on an Isofrane, I can now report on the Lum-Tec deployant that arrived this morning.

First off, I'm a bracelet guy, but like certain leather or rubber straps if I can use a deployant clasp with them. I don't care for buckles. I had not realized until early in the week that Lum-Tec was offering deployant clasps as an accessory for both the leather and rubber straps. Once discovered I ordered a 22mm pvd deployant to use on my 300M-2.

However, I did not realize the Lum-Tec deployant was not a butterfly design which stays attached to the hole side of the strap. :sad: I would call the Lum-Tec deployant a modified butterfly. On the website Lum-Tec calls it a deploy buckle. All of my deployants, and I have several, are butterfly and the traditional design where the hole side of the strap stays attached to the deployant. Nonetheless I decided to mount the Lum-Tec deployant on the black Isofrane rubber strap that I have mounted on my 300M-2. I like the Iso, but not the buckle.

The Lum-Tec deployant is, as expected, very high quality and mounts easily. However, since it is not a traditional butterfly design the deployant simply acts as a buckle without a tang. Once the hassle of putting the strap through the deployant and securing it with the keepers is done, the strap and deployant fit nicely. One of the nice things about the Lum-Tec deployant is that it can be used with either L-T OEM straps (leather or rubber) or thick aftermarket straps (leather or rubber).

I have been wearing my 300M-2 with the Iso/ L-T deployant for several hours and can say it is a very comfortable and good looking combo, I think. Do I like this deployant design? In a word, no. It works fine, but is not as easy to use as a traditional butterfly design which stays attached to the strap.

Should you get one? Only you can decide that. Just be mindful that it is not as easy to use as a buckle, but once on the wrist more comfortable than a buckle.

I suggest that Lum-Tec design a quality deployant that is a push button butterfly design. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a follow-up to my mini-review, I will say that in the past couple of days I have adjusted to the different style of deployant L-T is using. Now that I have the hang of it I find that the L-T deployant is not as cumbersome as I thought at first. Once in place the deployant feels very good and especially so on the Isofrane strap. At some point I will try it on the L-T rubber strap and see how it works on that strap. Likely the L-T deployant will work even better on the L-T strap. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not a secure buckle!

I had this "deploy Buckle" on my M50 with a leather band. While carrying groceries the buckle released. Lifting the leading edge is how the buckle is released and can easily be accidentally caught and released. I didn't even know it had fallen off my wrist. I stepped on the watch and scratched the PVD. I've replaced it with a PVD push button buterfly deployant from an aftermarket supplier that stays on your wrist even when released. The LT buckle drops one end of the band when it's released. Beware.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I sampled the LT deploy buckle, and decided to send it to my buddy, Timbo, in Australia. I never heard back from him, but legend has it he was on belay -- covering a particularly hazardous pitch -- when his LT deploy buckle caught, came undone, and Timbo plunged into the abyss (I think it was 600 meters -- yeah, that's the ticket). Search parties returned empty handed.

I think a kangaroo stampede added an exclamation point to this sad story.

Skip the LT deploy buckle and put the money towards a new LT watch, instead.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
:scared:.....help.....help.....it's dark down here, and the lume on my V-series is starting to fade :blink:

I still have two of the LR deployants, and they're not great -- for all the reasons set out above. They come undone, they slip out of the strap end. But they are flat, and do fit thick straps. I've just concluded Chris visited these upon us Lümatics to remind us he's not perfect! :T

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
:scared:.....help.....help.....it's dark down here, and the lume on my V-series is starting to fade :blink:

I still have two of the LR deployants, and they're not great -- for all the reasons set out above. They come undone, they slip out of the strap end. But they are flat, and do fit thick straps. I've just concluded Chris visited these upon us Lümatics to remind us he's not perfect! :T
Ah, Thank The Diety!, you're alive! :thumbup:

I agree about the deploy buckle: It's like the story of Michelangelo hurling his chisel at the almost completed "Moses," and leaving a small chip in the statue's knee. Legend has it he screamed "Perché non parli?" (Why don't you speak!?!) because the marble carving was so perfect and lifelike it seemed to breathe. Passersby waited for Moses to blink.

Anything we make can be improved upon.

I've alerted the villagers of your imminent return, so expect fatted calves, adult beverages, etc., etc. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just wanted to update this thread on using the L-T deployant clasp. I have only used the L-T deployant on an Isofrane strap which as many of you know is a thick strap. After wearing the strap with the L-T deployant clasp for several days in a row, I can say that the deployant holds securely using the two Iso strap keepers. The Iso/ L-T deployant is proving to be a very comfortable all day strap on my 300M-2 and I think it looks great as well! :thumbup1: Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In spite of this thread, I purchased the deployant for use with the LT rubber on my M52. :lol:

I have < 7" wrists, but big arms so I love big watches but I struggle with finding straps or bracelets that fit well.

I was able to make a hole just above the last in the LT rubber strap and it holds the deployant securely.

Comfortable and a good fit for me.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have several of the LT deployments and have found they work really well with LTs straps. On the other hand I have had it come apart on an aftermarket strap so I will only use it with the OEM straps. I may try it with an Isofran strap now that Bill has thoroughly tested it!

Sent from Kevin's Tapatalk!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still hope that Chris/Bes will make a butterfly deployant in both stainless and pvd black. The current L-T deployant gets the job done, but not as well as a butterfly deployant in my experience. Here is an Omega deployant. The Omega deployant is expensive, but high quality. There are a number of good butterfly deployants on the market which are not very expensive. Cheers, Bill P.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.