WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I missing something? Is this just the way these LT deployants work? I'm used to the Panerai & Breitling deployants that hold the end of the strap and you remove the watch by releasing the deployant latch. The strap opens up wider to remove the watch but the ends stay tied to the buckle. This buckle I just got from LT doesn't appear designed to hold the strap such that when I remove it, the watch strap is open just like a tongue type buckle. If I lift or catch the deployant clasp from the hole in the strap, the watch just falls off my arm. I suppose if I had a really thick strap it might grab it tighter, or if the strap holes were smaller it would stick into them tighter, but it can still be popped off if I were to catch it on something. If this is the way it is designed then so be it, but it isn't very secure. It says it can be used with the OEM rubber, but that is even thinner than the Panatime strap I'm trying to use it with. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
a bought a LT deployant for my M49 and I don't really care for it.
admittedly I prefer a push button type because this one can be difficult to break open sometime
with this kind of friction hold.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Yes, you are right....it TOTALLY depends on the thickness of the strap and 'especially' the size
of the hole. From your strap it seems that you struck out twice:
- your strap is thinner and holes appear to be larger. (things do get better as the traps softens.
Since it's new there is more torque from a stiff strap that wants to separate the pin from the hole.
As much as I wish that Lumtec's design included a 'counter-screw' opposing the pin, one realistically
cannot accept that this buckle will simply fit fit every 24/22 mm strap.

I am having a similar experience:
- I had my M61 strap custom made (deployant shipped to my strap maker and the fit is perfect
with the hole firmly planted in a 'tightly made hole'.
I liked the deployant so much, I also bought
another one for my M27. While the M27 strap was made by the same strap maker, my strap is popping off
the hole just like yours. Solution: shipping my strap back to her so she can build up the width at the tails
so it loops tighter through the deployant. I am also going to ask her to add another (smaller) hole for
a tighter fit.

Keeping fingers crossed that LT guys will revise their design in the second run of production so the
counter-screw will be included. This will ensure a secure fit for all teh straps regardless of the hole..

·
Banned
24 Posts
Not a problem

I have the same buckle on the stock strap M-62, and it seems fine, still a little stiff, but holds on well. At first I had to figure out a technique to open and close. Give it a little time to loosen up.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have three of these deployants on straps for my LTs. You either need to use them with one of the LT straps, or something else quite thick -- in fact, one their strengths is that these deployants handle much thicker straps than anything else I know of. That said, the design does not rate as one of LT's finest moments. I hope at some point Chris and team reviews the design and works up something that works a little better....but still accommodates thick straps!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have the LUM-TEC deployment buckle and like them; I wish LUM-TEC would offer more of their leather straps for sale as “Extras”.

A previously worn strap has unsightly fold marks from the regular LUM-TEC buckle.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Keeping fingers crossed that LT guys will revise their design in the second run of production so the
counter-screw will be included.

I agree. AND would like to see a pushbutton deployant offered as well. The friction one, or at least mine on my V4, is extremely tight and I have to exert a LOT of pressure to release it. Enough that I'm having to pull the tail of the strap up as a lever to open it, which is NOT good for the leather & I know it's going to wear out the strap prematurely and stretch the hole the buckle is in, making that problem even worse. :crying:

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Have to agree with this one. I prefer a button clasp, and also the shape of the prong for the hole does make it difficult to fit into a strap hole, not an issue I have come across before.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Here is one style of Omega deployant which works great! It is not cheap, but high quality and very functional. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I agree. AND would like to see a pushbutton deployant offered as well. The friction one, or at least mine on my V4, is extremely tight and I have to exert a LOT of pressure to release it. Enough that I'm having to pull the tail of the strap up as a lever to open it, which is NOT good for the leather & I know it's going to wear out the strap prematurely and stretch the hole the buckle is in, making that problem even worse. :crying:
I find the LUM-TEC Deployment quite easy to remove.

First I remove the strap from the keepers. Then I place my thumb on the buckle at the point where the buckle engages the hole on the strap and then pull on the strap removed from the keepers to disengage one side of the deployment buckle.

After this is done it is quite easy to remove the opposite side of the deployment buckle. :wink:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I find the LUM-TEC Deployment quite easy to remove.

First I remove the strap from the keepers. Then I place my thumb on the buckle at the point where the buckle engages the hole on the strap and then pull on the strap removed from the keepers to disengage one side of the deployment buckle.

After this is done it is quite easy to remove the opposite side of the deployment buckle. :wink:
I've done the same thing, and you're right it does work. But I also found it was 'stretching' the hole in the strap where the deployant goes, making it less secure and more likely the buckle could disengage while on the wrist. So I stopped doing it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've done the same thing, and you're right it does work. But I also found it was 'stretching' the hole in the strap where the deployant goes, making it less secure and more likely the buckle could disengage while on the wrist. So I stopped doing it.
Scott

I place my thumb on the buckle so any stretch in the leather comes before the energy can reach the buckle tang and hole.

I would agree a better design could have been used and I would pay for an upgrade, but in the meantime I am quite satisfied. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The only real problem that I've experienced with my LT deployment is that it increases the distance between the buckle spring bar and the tongue that goes through the strap hole. I have smaller wrists and I just can't use the deployment. With a buckle, I'm on the third from last hole. With the deployment, I have to use the very last hole and it's still not quite enough.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The only real problem that I've experienced with my LT deployment is that it increases the distance between the buckle spring bar and the tongue that goes through the strap hole. I have smaller wrists and I just can't use the deployment. With a buckle, I'm on the third from last hole. With the deployment, I have to use the very last hole and it's still not quite enough.
Luckily for me the LUM-TEC deployment buckle works for me only on the last opening on the strap.

This is the most serious problem in the design. I can use only LUM-TEC straps as some other makes will not fit me. :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really haven't had any problems with mine. I actually prefer it to the buckle it comes with. I have had it on my OEM leather strap since I got my watch.

Here are some pics:

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
The LT deployant clasp is the first deployant I've ever had, so I just put my awkwardness operating it down to my unfamiliarity with this style of clasp. Now I'm not so sure. Once it's locked it sits well on the wrist, so no problems with the actual wearing of it, but I find it difficult to close. I wouldn't mind seeing another model that's a bit easier to use, and more secure (as Watchfan described). I haven't tried the deployant on the rubber strap yet so can't comment on how it fits that one.

Update: I'd like to add that since I've been wearing the watch with the deployant a lot recently, I've found it much easier to use. Whether it's just loosening up, or I'm just getting used to it (I suspect the latter), I'm not having so much trouble with it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts