WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Low Price Automatics

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  sharkey 
#1 ·
I am looking to add an Automatic movement watch to my collection. Can anyone suggest a low cost model that has at least a 50mm case diameter? I'm not terribly concerned with complications on this one, just a low price. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Bsw_sc -Welcome to the WTF!

Bsw_sc , FORGIVE THE CUT AND PAST.I'll add on after the intro below, Tim.

Invicta has 4633 Model’s, currently.
And that number changes daily.

Photos, we need them, If you ask “ Can you help me with my Pro/Grand Diver, Model-10640?”
Please, there are over 830 models of Pro/Grand Diver’s any given day.
Take the time, and post a photo, you’ll get quicker replies, and more of them.

From an earlier post by Edison, it has some great info in it.

Yes, the negativity is a little hard to take at times, but Invicta helped bring some of that on themselves with questionable practices in the past. No, I'm not going to go into it, the topic has been hashed out many times in the past.

At certain price points Invicta is hard to beat, whereas some of the higher end watches have been problematic in the past. I'm not knocking the brand since I own a few.

I've learned a few harsh lessons along the way.
Often the watches start off at a high price and then are discounted soon after.

A case in point: I fell in love with the SubAqua Speciality line, but decided 52mm was just too big for my 7.25 inch wrist. When the midsized SAS line came out I just had to have one.
Originally they were over $700 and were always in short supply. Finally caught a sale on Amazon and the watch was mine. Imagine my chagrin when Invicta came out with a second generation model some $300 cheaper. Initially I was disappointed, but this meant I could add to my Mid-SAS collection.

Since then I've learned to glean the Deal of the Day sites and the Invicta Sunday Run for prospective purchases, and I've learned patience. I still purchase from the SHOP, but I'm back in the NBZ as I have more watches than I can reasonably wear. I don't claim to be a WIS, just an interested dilettante with a love of watches, especially automatics.

Although I have other brands now, I will always be greatful for my Invicta 8926 which was my gateway into the hobby. edison
edison, said the most, in the fewest words.

Every person who gets bit by the bug, should read that!

BUYING YOUR WATCH
on eBay from original watch works, who claim to be an authorized Invicta dealer. He seems legit, been there since 2001, but how do I find out if they're legit so that I know any warranty service I may need (which I doubt I'd need) in the future would be honored?
It does not matter who you buy the watch from, all warranty work is performed by Invicta, themselves.

What is important, is their Refund-Return-Exchange Policy.
Like any purchase, what are you options with the seller, before you buy, if your new watch is defective out of the box.

NAMES OF NON- FORUM SPONSERS ARE CHANGED, NO FREE ENDORSMENTS ARE MEANT BY THIS POST.

Even SlopXXX, one of Invicta's biggest authorized distributor, If I receive a defective item, my options are:
I can exchange it, if there is stock.
I get a refund, if there is no stock.
Or send it to Invicta for warranty service.

Amazing, is a network of smaller independents under 1 umbrella, Amazing, If I receive a defective item, my options are:
I can exchange it, if there is stock.
I get a refund, if there is no stock.
Or send it to Invicta for warranty service.

Fleabay, is a network of Independent Merchants, who abide buy governing rules, in their conduct of doing buisseness.
There, it is upon the consumer to abide the posted policies of each merchant, before conducting a transaction.
Some merchants, like The Inxxxta Oxtlet Stxre, clearly state:
New With Defects.
No Returns or Exchanges
So as soon as you receive the item, figure out why it was returned, you send it to Invicta, for Warranty Repair or Replacement.
You saved 30 to 40% for a 3-4 month wait.

Invicta stands behind his New Items that he sells, that is why Fleabay Buyer Protection, is offered.

I've bought 4 watches from him, all of them were good out of the box.
I have never bought at his BUY price.
I've always Contacted the Seller, and made him a fair but lower offer, and he has always accepted.

I could not find the why, they were returned.
3 of them, the bracelets were unarpped, but still had the plastic on the top and bottom of the dial.
1 never made it out of the plastic, new with tags.

You can also have an issue, check the link below.
LINK: Invicta Outlet Issue.

Private Individuals are just that, Private.
Worn Once for Sizing: Means nothing to me.
In Box, New with Tags: Means nothing to me.

On an Individual Sale, I always contact the seller and ask.
NIB, Has the watch been registered for Warranty?
Yes: non transferable.
No: Can I have a copy of the Receipt?
No Receipt: No Warranty.
I use those points for price adjustment.

And lastly, enjoy your purchase!!!!!
Even if you happen to be in the Arcade at Adventureland, and win the BOOBY PRIZE!!!!

Now on the Racks at Walmart, $66.95.

I hope I didn’t offend you, respectfully, I posted my opinion, drawn on my personal experiences. I am not trying to scare you away from Invicta at all, a large portion of my growing collection is Invicta, you can read some of my other post’s to feel that out on your own.

Do your home work, ask questions, and most of all, enjoy you decisions to the fullest.

I am open to any questions or comments you have.

Respectfully

Tim

I am looking to add an Automatic movement watch to my collection. Can anyone suggest a low cost model that has at least a 50mm case diameter? I'm not terribly concerned with complications on this one, just a low price. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Hello Bsw_sc!

50mm, auto, cheap.

Any brands your partial too?
New, Used, Both? Used can be a Catch & Release, worn once or twice.
Style, Casual, Diver, Tool, Extreme Gear?
Base Color, Plain STST, Black, Yellow/Rose-Gold Plated?
Band or Bracelet?
Dial Color?

Crystal, Sapphire or Mineral Glass.
Movement, Miyota 8125, TMI-N25A, TMI N35A.?
Price Range, Cheap to you, might be my monthly Alimony Payment.
$100-200, $200-300, etc.

Can you narrow it down some?

Model # alone don't do much for us, unless you were looking for like a Cheap Rolex Daytona Homage.
Then we would say check Alpha.

Invicta offers over 4600 models.
1800 are 50mm plus, 900 of those are Autos.

If you have looked at some watches, and have an idea of the style your looking for.....
GOOGLE IMAGES.
Right Click, COPY IMG URL.
Past the URL with
on the ends.

Then we can help you with suggestions.

Respectfully.
Tim

Movement, Miyota 8125, TMI-N25A, TMI N35A.?

Miyota 8215 is a non-hacking twenty-one (21) jewel movement with a unidirectional winding system (left rotation) with an accuracy of -20 to +40 seconds per day, can not be hand wound.
A power reserve of over 40 hours. The diameter of the movement is 26 mm and the thickness is 5.67 mm. It beats at 21,600 BPH or 6 Hz.

Miyota 8215 Cannot Hand Wind, Shake to get going, also Check the Rotor Arrow.

Seiko NH25A Cannot Hand Wind, Shake to get going, also Check the Rotor Arrows.

The NH35A is a hand-windable version of the older NH25A movement. The movement also hacks to the second when the crown is pulled out to the last stop. It's a handy complication to have.

Seiko NH35A Can be Fully Wound by Hand, Check the Rotor Arrows.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help

I just started collecting Invicta watches in December, I now up to 5. I definitely am looking for an Invicta and by cheap I mean $250 or less. Invicta has so many different models and I really like most of what I see, that being said I am pretty much open to any suggestions. My main source for searching for hem has been ShopNBC. So far I have one mechanical (my favorite) and four Quartz movements. Watch Analog watch White Light Product

#6 · (Edited)
Bsw_sc , you mentioned
My main source for searching for hem has been ShopNBC.
Please look through that post above, there really is some good info on hunting and buying.

ShopNBC, does offer 6-value pay.
But you can save on your purchase looking at others.

Check the link below, they have a great selection, take CC & Paypal, Free Shipping, and give members of the Forum a Discount.
LINK: Discount Watch Store

Grand Divers, are 47mm. without the crown.
$250 gives you enough, to get what you want.

The watch you pictured, is skeletonized, are you looking for something like that?

Tim

I'll recommend 2- to start with.
Both can be had for around $150 or less, with the NH35A Movement.
3044 black and 3045 blue.

#7 ·
The Grand Diver with the NH35A really is a nice watch. Was my go-to watch until recently. It's ONLY 47mm, but that's really large on my 7.25 inch wrist. I don't know how large your wrist is and how committed you are to that 50mm size. I believe Android has several 50mm automatics, but I'm not that familiar with the brand. Another plus for the Grand Diver is that it is not as tall as some of the larger watches.

edison

#9 ·
Great info

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry about my typos too, I usually browse and post from my iPhone. Discount watch store does have some nice prices, thanks for pointing me in that direction. Although I am pretty sure I want a 50mm piece that automatic diver for around $150 is sure tempting me...

I'm not looking for a skeletonized auto, I just posted that pic because that is my favorite piece in my collection

#11 ·
I have a 3044 on the way.Only bought it because I liked the styling and I have another watch with the same movement and it has been trouble free. This will be my first Invicta. Bought used because I cannot afford new and I really don't want to spend the going price for new Invicta autos

#16 ·
buying used, or new with defects.

I'm up to 15 Invicta watches. I haven't bought a single one of them new. All came from the bay. Every time I think about buying a watch new I come across an auction that would let me get two or three watches for the price of that one new one I was looking at. I have been pretty lucky on not getting any that were dead or defective. That is a possibility when buying used. Read timex's post about the pros and cons on the topic. Lots of good info there.

To the OP about a 50mm auto under $250. At that price point you can get a Swiss made auto easily. I'd look at the SubAqua Noma series. Most of them are 50mm and they will come with a Swiss auto movement. Check the size though, they made some midsize and are only 45mm(ask me how I know).
The following Link is to the Invicta website. It should take you to a search result I did for all their auto's. If not just go to the collections page click a model and run a search with just collections showing in the search box for that box. You can refine your search based on what you find you like most. If the link doesn't work just do a search for Invicta for the website. Some sites don't like having links on the forum for security and other considerations.

#18 · (Edited)
Might I suggest you take a look at the BOLT series by Invicta. They will all meet your size requirements. And the entry level BOLTS can be had at your price point, although they will all likely be quartz. Automatic movements can be had, but at a higher price.

The BOLT 0978 is a sharp looking watch and can be had for around $325. Quartz only I'm afraid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.