WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an extremely bad experience with Cartier watch serivce in Hong Kong, which is run by Richemont Asia Pacific. Can someone please help me find the contact info of the workshop in Switzerland where parts shipments are made worldwide? Let me tell you why I want to contact the workshop.

Briefly, the back of the middle case of my Basculante was scractched during Cartier service and I asked for a free case back replacement. The service people of Richemont kept saying the part was no longer available and asked me to settle for polishing. Luckily, I found out from other sources the part is in fact available, though expensive (and that's why they lied). I presented them this fact and they suddently said they were able to find a new part and agreed to a free replacement, but the part from Cartier's workshop in Switzerland would take 10-12 weeks to arrive.

I waited for two months. When I went to collect the watch a few days ago, I felt that the case back is too shinny and smooth and it doesn't feel like the one I was used to. It dawned on me that they might have merely polished the case back to deceive me into believing that I am receiving a new part! So I didn't collect the watch. (Richemont is a big name, but the stadard isn't the same everywehre. Richemont here in HK obviously has an inferior standard, including dishonesty.)

I've asked them to show me the old (replaced) case back, but they haven't responded yet (I bet they would give excuses for not being able to show the old part). Now I want to find out if the workshop in Switzerland had recently sent out the part to Richemont in HK. If the answer is no, then it is conclusive that I have been lied to and seriously mistreated.

That's why I want to contact Cartier's workshop in Switzerland. I really appreciate if someone can help.

Finally, can a watch technician/expert tell if the case back has been polished? If yes, I may also ask such a person in HK to help me verify if the case back is factory new or has been polished (reconditioned).

(This isn't the first time Cartier service here has scratcded the case back. The full story is very intriguing and there is more to Richemont's inferior, if not corrupt, watch service in HK. Should you be interested, I can email you a WORD file with details.)

Hunghung

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You can get in touch with them at their website. It's in flash format, so I couldn't copy paste the direct link.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the Boutique today to look at the old (replaced) middle case front and case back. They look brand new and the back is flawless (it actually looks more authentic than the more shinny back on the watch). However, the old case back should have some 4-5 scratches and those scratches were why I asked for a case back replacement.

I am puzzled and I didn't collect the watch. I don't know what to think. Would someone take the challenge of explaining this mystery? Sherlock Holmes is wecome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask them to put the 'older crystal' back into your watch :T
That'll teach em to act smart
That's also what I think: the case back on my watch is still the original one and they polished it to make it look new to deceive me; the old (replaced) one I saw is in fact a new one.

Here is my theory:

Some 3 months ago when I was inquiring parts availability, all of the Cartier serivce centers overseas which had given me a reply told me that they didn't stock the middle case kit (this kit consists of the case front and case back, which must be pushcased together and the retail price of this kit is expensive at around $1,600). So I think the service people here did order and receive a new case kit (including the case back) from Switzerland.

However, they eventually decided not to replace it for me in order to save money on the kit (and that was why they lied to me about parts availablity earlier). Instead they just did a polishing job on the scratched back, hoping I would believe the story of a new replacement. Once I have accepted the watch, they would ship the new kit back to Switzerland for a refund.

I've asked them to give me an explanation to the mystery and am waiting for their reply. I don't know if they would reply by another lie or by telling the truth. How should I deal with them and what should I ask them to do to resolve the matter (not now, which is still premature)?

BTW, if a part get replaced, does the old part still legally belong to the watch owner? If yes, I want to ask for the old part back, but whether they would agree is another matter.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
BTW, if a part get replaced, does the old part still legally belong to the watch owner? If yes, I want to ask for the old part back, but whether they would agree is another matter.
Some companies replace parts on a one-to-one basis and never return the old piece. It keeps a tight reign on their inventory and keeps authentic parts off of fakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts