WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

just found this forum. I've been collecting watches for decades but a friend introduced me to Hamilton watches. So I've found a nice one on eBay that i want to purchase. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me what I might expect to pay for this guy, I definitely don't want to overpay. How much do you guys think it's worth? The auction says it's a thin line from the 60's in excellent condition.

Any feedback or things to look for would be appreciated!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Um, if you search Hamilton Thinline, there are 4 from the sixties going for $349 to $899

The thing with auctions is you never know - if you get two passionate bidders, the sky's the limit. Set what you think you can pay as a max bid, and hope for the best. Remember, it's a business deal, not a competition - if you pay too much, you didnt "win" the auction, the seller did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. How much is too much? $800? Considering it has all the paperwork and the box and it works? I don't know the other ones I saw on eBay were stainless steel. but if I can get this one for like $100 I'm game. There's no reserve, so yea...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
All I can offer is a few thoughts and opinions. No reserve auctions are unpredictable by nature depending on who is bidding and how bad they want it. The seller says the watch is a Thinline 2035 but that does not appear to be so according to the catalogs. The catalog image of the 2035 shows numerals at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 positions. This watch looks exactly like a Thinline 2036. It's a minor discrepancy but you wouldn't know if these boxes came with this watch until you compared the serial numbers inside the watch with those on the box. It wouldn't be the first time a seller genuinely thought something was original but wasn't. The original retailer may have simply grabbed the wrong box at the point of sale.

I have the 1968 catalog images to illustrate. Here is the 2035.

And here is the 2036. This looks like that watch.

Keep in mind that value is highly subjective but I would expect this one to end in the $450-500 range. Solid gold models have an inherent minimum value based on content. Anything over that is based on condition and this looks like a very nice one with complete set of boxes, original strap and buckle. It may even go higher than my estimate. It's hard to say exactly but the seller only ships to the US which eliminates competition from the rest of the entire world. It's been my experience that US only auctions end at lower values than worldwide auctions so you may end up with a score.

That's my 2¢. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey davemcc, that actually helps a lot. What I really needed to know is an auction estimate for this watch, which 500 is out of my price range, hoping it doesn't go that high:sad:

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You don't need a solid gold model to have a cool watch. Most of mine are 10k gold filled. That's a lot more budget friendly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I completely agree. Dont get me wrong, stainless steel is awesome and I prefer it for something that I wear daily, but i like the way this watch looks in the yellow gold. I like the thin design and clean look. I think it's the contrast of the white bezel and yellow gold that really stands out to me. And it's also a no brained that gold is a good investment...

Most of my collection is stainless steel, if I can grab this one without going over my budget I'll have two solid gold watches in my collection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts