WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I posted in another thread how I found my grandfather's Longine and have been thinking about purchasing another old model and having it restored. I found a nice looking watch on ebay but I know next to nothing about these watches and was wondering if anyone could give me some information about this watch listed. I've read that the flagship watches are their higher end watches but that's about it. How much is this watch really worth? What is the most I should bid on it? Thanks guys!

Stainless Steel Longines Flagship Wristwatch | eBay

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
That's a good one, but not up to the standards of the original Flagship models of the late 50's and early 60's. Around 1963 or 64, Longines tried to cash in on the Flagship name and put out some less expensive versions. The movements weren't as nice but since no normal person looked inside it didn't matter - the watch said Longines Flagship and that's all that a regular Joe cared about. The original manual wind models had caliber 30L and 30 LS (30L = subdial seconds, 30LS = sweep center seconds) but the newer ones had either the 490 or 280 series inside. Both are good but not as accurate or well finished as the legendary 30 series was.

That particular watch is from the mid to late 60's and has a 280 series manual wind movement. There seems to be some damage to the dial at the edge between the 5 and 6 marker. I wouldn't bid more than $250 given that problem because the dial is 30% - 40% of the value of the watch. Mint examples of this exact watch pop up several times a year and nearly always sell for under $550, usually about $450 on average.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just remembered one of our members has the same watch:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/53970-4.htm#post492312

Why not shoot him a PM and ask for details like purchase price?
Thanks! I'm new to this whole thing and what I'm ideally looking for is a watch that has that vintage look to it. I tend to think that a lot of the older Longines have that look to them and that is why I've focused my attention there (that and my grandfather's watch from the other thread is a Longine). This particular one on ebay struck me as having that older look to it. You mentioned diff movements from diff years and obviously I would like to get the best value for my money but I don't want to spend a lot of money. A few hundred to buy, and then investigate how much it would be to restore it. Do you have any suggestions for me on what to look at or where to look? I'm just so new to this and really don't have a direction.

Its funny this all started when my parents got me a Hamilton Jazzmaster for my birthday last month.

IMAG0164.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good one, but not up to the standards of the original Flagship models of the late 50's and early 60's. Around 1963 or 64, Longines tried to cash in on the Flagship name and put out some less expensive versions. The movements weren't as nice but since no normal person looked inside it didn't matter - the watch said Longines Flagship and that's all that a regular Joe cared about. The original manual wind models had caliber 30L and 30 LS (30L = subdial seconds, 30LS = sweep center seconds) but the newer ones had either the 490 or 280 series inside. Both are good but not as accurate or well finished as the legendary 30 series was.

That particular watch is from the mid to late 60's and has a 280 series manual wind movement. There seems to be some damage to the dial at the edge between the 5 and 6 marker. I wouldn't bid more than $250 given that problem because the dial is 30% - 40% of the value of the watch. Mint examples of this exact watch pop up several times a year and nearly always sell for under $550, usually about $450 on average.
Also you said this particular watch has a 280 series and manual wind movement. Does that mean you see the seconds hand tick off every second? Bc what I'm looking for is a perpetually moving seconds hand that just sweeps. Those are called automatic watches, correct?

Are both the 490 and the 280 manual ticking and the 30L and 30LS a sweeping motion?

·
Banned
28,345 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All mechanical watches, whether manual wind or automatic, have sweep second hands unless they are "dead seconds" - but that was rare, back in the 50's before battery powered quartz watches came about in the 70's. To learn more about watches, check here:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/22496.htm

The article with info on how a watch's second hand sweeps is here, in the first paragraph:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/15070.htm
I'm assuming it will teach me the diff between manual wind or automatic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts