WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to find out as much as possible aboust this particular movement that Sturhling uses.

I would appreicate anything you guys could show me. Thanks in advance.

The movement is listed by Sturhling as: ST-92533 Calibre however I think Sturhling alwasy puts an "ST" before any movement they end up using.

:confused1:

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
ST-92533 Calibre however I think Sturhling alwasy puts an "ST" before any movement they end up using.:confused
This is S.O.P. with many watch companies.

Reactions: Valtyr

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
They use Hangzhou, seagull, and dixmont/nanning. That also use some Swiss ETA 2824-2's in they're high end ones. Or stelleta

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
A post at 2:05 A.M.? Wrapping presents? Looking for Santa's sleigh? :lol:

Thanks for that info. That's a brand whose movement info I could never track down!

Reactions: stratct

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
A post at 2:05 A.M.? Wrapping presents? Looking for Santa's sleigh? :lol:

Thanks for that info. That's a brand whose movement info I could never track down!
ha...ha CometHunter :001_tt2: i can never fall asleep on Saturday nights :cursing::cursing: anyway, no problem as little as i know in the Swiss stuff and owning MANY Stuhrling, stauer, armitron, fossil, Kennith Cole, and other Chinese brands i can almost tell ya anything about Chinese brands. oh and stuhrling doesent want you to know what they use, they want you to think they are Swiss. after speaking with the president of stuhrling and doing TONS of research i found a lot about there hidden ways. :wink: if you need further info i am here.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
automatics, mostly yes, does it mean they are bad or inferior? no. some Chinese movements are better than some dreaded invicta low quality ETA's....ok im ready for the flames, you can take it all out on me i can take it :wink::wink: but they're quartz are Rhonda mostly. and isa Swiss parts :scared::scared::scared:

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
...ok im ready for the flames, you can take it all out on me i can take it :wink::wink:
You don't have to tell me twice!!! :glare:

Nobody was bashing Chinese movements- merely identifying them as such.

Reactions: Valtyr

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It is strange they way that the Chinese watch movements are identified compared to Swiss. Chinese movements are recognised or identified by the town where the plant that made it is based. Swiss are identified by the company.

Abbreviations for the companies.

HZ = Hangzhou plant, at one point in their history had a link with Seiko. Oddly I had a 70's Waltham with a Hangzou movement.
NN = Nanning plant
DG = Dixmont Guangzhou
SB = Shanghai watch factory
ST = Seagull is the exception and is identified by company name and not factory.

Seagull make over a quarter of the worlds watch movements and currently have some fine movements available. My favorite being the ST-19 which is really a Venus 175, Seagull purchased all the machinery from the Swiss company and had it moved to China. Seagull also ship some other unfinished movements to Switzerland and they are then finished off locally and come out with the name Claro-Semag CL-888 which is basically an ST-16 underneath and are then legally entitled to be classed as Swiss made. Rotary/Fossil and other similar companies are know for fitting these Chinese /Swiss movements in their watches.

I believe the real problem with the Chinese movements is that so many of them are used in fake/replica watches and as such they are losing a lot of credibilty. How many of you remember the Datsun motor company in the 60's/70's which were horrible rust buckets, a little name change to Nissan and a rebranding and now they are a highly recognised company. Make no mistake the Chinese are coming can the Swiss compete at the same price levels.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Richard- said:
It is strange they way that the Chinese watch movements are identified compared to Swiss. Chinese movements are recognised or identified by the town where the plant that made it is based. Swiss are identified by the company.

Abbreviations for the companies.

HZ = Hangzhou plant, at one point in their history had a link with Seiko. Oddly I had a 70's Waltham with a Hangzou movement.
NN = Nanning plant
DG = Dixmont Guangzhou
SB = Shanghai watch factory
ST = Seagull is the exception and is identified by company name and not factory.

Seagull make over a quarter of the worlds watch movements and currently have some fine movements available. My favorite being the ST-19 which is really a Venus 175, Seagull purchased all the machinery from the Swiss company and had it moved to China. Seagull also ship some other unfinished movements to Switzerland and they are then finished off locally and come out with the name Claro-Semag CL-888 which is basically an ST-16 underneath and are then legally entitled to be classed as Swiss made. Rotary/Fossil and other similar companies are know for fitting these Chinese /Swiss movements in their watches.

I believe the real problem with the Chinese movements is that so many of them are used in fake/replica watches and as such they are losing a lot of credibilty. How many of you remember the Datsun motor company in the 60's/70's which were horrible rust buckets, a little name change to Nissan and a rebranding and now they are a highly recognised company. Make no mistake the Chinese are coming can the Swiss compete at the same price levels.
Well said. Don't get me wrong, my favorite watch is a Hamilton with a Swiss movement (micro rotor) but I have had 3 or 4 seagoing with little to Bo issue at all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts