WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I am new to this forum and also new to accutrons. Actually in the process of paying $1700 for what I am told is a genuine B case yellow dot spaceview. I have done my research extensively and I am left with conflicting info from seller which seems very credible and knowledgeable. Any help would be greatly appreciated :

- The case has 2362 printed inside
- the hour and minute hands look gold plated then painted yellow
- the crystal is obviously a real 1210E
- case back year is merely visible but seller mentions it's M3 (1963)
- seconds hand shape is straight, eg: no little bump, just a straight arrow, yellow
- lenght of all arrows looks perfect ( mid -dots)
- bracelet is kreisler coffin links in perfect shape

I was guessing If the seconds hand is wrong as I suspect that I can change it later, is that easy to get ?

Also, I am still worried about the case, a stamp inside can be faked, a marking outside can be erased if year is inconvenient. Seller is not clear about presence of a spacer ring and mentions :
" I’ve seen a lot of spaceview B’s in the past and never made the connection that any one of them did not have a spacer ring. Originally, Bulova chanced upon the Spaceview phenomenon in late ’61 and ultimately were using cases made for dialed watches in the first year of production to produce spaceviews in the factory, so it’s always been my understnding that spacer rings were used from the beginning rather than retool cases for movements without rings."

Now again I trust the seller and think it makes some sense, but what if when I get the watch it has a spacer ring ?

Thgoughts, suggestions ?

I would really really appreciate your help and insight, as I love this watch and can't wait to get this accutron if it's as I think, genuine.

Sorry can't post picture right now, i'm on an iphone... :S
Thanks,
Bubldopl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Accutron. It already reassures me to get your favorable opinion as I have read a lot of the posts on this forum and I find your opinion to be of value.

I know it's a lot for a watch, but I've been putting money aside for over two years now to buy a nice watch. I was shopping for an automatic mechanical, but I completely fell in love with the Accutron. It's also a bit over my budget, but I wanted to be sure to have a 100% genuine factory accurate one, on top of that I had read that repairs cost a lot, so I figured it's worth it, as long as it's "the real thing".

Money aside, any comments on the spacer rings for the yellow dot spaceviews ?
Thanks again !

Rgds,
Bubldopl

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree. I believe that is at least double what it's worth if not more. But, you are also paying for security that it's original. It looks to have original parts, and the band alone is worth about $200. I'd say, if you have the money, that looks to be a watch worth a double take, but for someone like me, I would be thinking 14k Astronauts. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,
Ended up not buying the yellow dot spaceview watch at 1700$, and bought instead another spaceview for $350 (see attached) Also got within that same original budget an Accutron Astonaut. Opinions, comments on those two watches ? Rgds, bubldopl. Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Font

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Nice combo purchase!!! Love both watches. I am no expert and the pics are very small but it looks like you made a personal choice that you can live with and bought to desirable pieces. I know the guy selling that 63 yellow Dot. Can't vouch for its authenticity but the guy (Bob) seems to be upfront and pleasant. I would have a hard time spending that kind of money on a Spaceview. I have read a few tricks to tell if its 'correct' but for the most part I would have a hard time purchasing a Spaceview thinking I was getting a 100% original watch. Its one thing to pay for a 'correct' looking & clean watch but to pay a premium for what is advertised as all original is not in my mind worth it. So many variable's with these accutrons. I just spent $1200.00 on a Pulsar LED but know the seller and his collection and where the watches came from so it is easier to buy that way.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with the above. I think you made a good decision, and now have two highly collectible watches to show off. Plus, you still got a coffin link band :biggrin:

I'm still stalking Astronauts to restore waiting to become part of the Astronaut club :cool1:

·
Registered
557 Posts
View attachment 32904 here we go ! Just received my first Hummer ! Exciting !!!! What an amazing technology ! That's it, I'm addicted !
Beauty! I'm still looking for another Astronaut myself.... someday.

Bubldopl: I too, am hoping someone will answer the spacer ring question. I always assumed that in chapter ring models, the chapter ring functioned as a spacer like the dial does in regular 214's and that the ones with the marked/dotted crystals used a spacer ring. I say this because every one (dotted crystal) I have had over the years has had the spacer and this goes back to before the massive craze in converting that has arisen from availability on the internet. Although I understand that kits were available to the dealers back in the day.

I know there are a few on here with watches acquired in the 60's that have dotted crystals can anyone answer the spacer ring question.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I cannot say that this is definitively the case but it is indeed my understanding that the chapter ring served as the spacer in the chapter ring models and that spacers were needed in the others.
That Astronaut is an iconic watch of which you should be proud and which will will serve you well.
Well done !

·
Registered
254 Posts
My chapter ring models don't need spacers. What about the hidden spaceview? That's what my Swiss conversion was based off of. There has to be enought room for a dial. Now I'm perplexed. I did just get another spaceview from India. I hope it actually shows up in the mail. Come to think of it, my 1964 hidden spaceview conversion, could probably use a spacer. Let me check and get back. I thought the movement and case were flush though... I'm babbling

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback ! Just gog the second one, the yellow dot spaceview. M5 with a tuning fork seconds hand which I think is made only by Bulova. The crystal has a weird low tone yellow but it does not look like a clark and the tuning fork is thick so I would guess it's Bulova too. Anything you see that could make it "not factory correct" ? Watch Analog watch Product Clock Material property
Motor vehicle Font Gas Auto part Circle

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It's hard to tell from that picture whether it's a B case but I think it is.
I'm not aware of any of the Yellow Dot Spaceviews coming with a tuning fork second hand, mine doesn't have one, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
I'm not aware of any of the Yellow Dot Spaceviews coming with a tuning fork second hand, mine doesn't have one, but I reserve the right to be wrong.
That would be my thought also. Mine doesn't have one. I've seen a few tuning fork second hands on 'upper end' Accutrons and they seem to be in the later years.

Ex: My M2 Spaceview.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I have seen three GP 214s of a particular case style & dial design that were factory equipped with the gold tuning fork second hand. These were not high end 214s, either. I have one and so do two of my friends. All identical, down to the Twist-O-Flex bands. Interestingly, two were presentation watches. Mine does not appear to have been.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spaceview M2... Nice watch ! That was my first intent to get one with the Kreisler band, it was just too expensive. I finally got my Astronaut with the Kreisler, so I might just end up swapping it to have it on my spaceview.
... And oh, I guess I'll have to live with the seconds hand I got, still I love the watch ! Did I mention that this forum is pretty amazing and useful, but there should be a mention : "caution : buying nice watches can get addictive !" ;)

rgds -bubldopl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.