WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been told that the Accutron watch that I have does not have the correct case back on it. I'm looking to you, the experts to help me in my quest for information on if this case back is original to this watch or not.

I've been told that this is the "B" case watch and that the "B" case only came with a stainless steel bezel. My watch has a case back that says it is 10K gold filled and has the date code N2(1972). So from what I have been told this would not be the original case back. That same person directed me here to this forum to ask the experts.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Attachments

Premium Member
It certainly sounds like that watch has a replacement case back. All "B" cases were stainless steel. And with my limited knowledge, "B" cases were only produced in the early 60's (62-64ish). Correct me if those dates are off a bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay thank you all so much! I will take off the case and see what the movement has for a date.

Thank you Accutronitis for sending me this way! You knew what you were talking about though, I probably didn't need to come to this forum, but I try to always take the advice of someone who is way more knowledgeable about something then I so I can learn. Also I really like Accutrons a lot, so this place will come in handy in the future when I go to acquire more for my collection. I only have one Spaceview and LOVE it as I mentioned to you before. But I need more! Thanks again!

Quick edit: I took the case off and checked the date on the movement. It is stamped N0(1970). What do you guys think? Original movement to the watch or do you think that is different also? Thanks!

Premium Member
Sounds to me like the caseback and movement were thrown into an empty "B"case. Neither are original to an early 60's "B"case. What you have is not unusual but certainly not close to correct. There is no telling what the life cycle of that case,case back & movement have gone through.

*The concept and basic design of the "B" case was used through the late 60's and very early 70's as is seen on the turtle lug design of the Stainless Astronauts but they certainly aren't interchangeable.

Reactions: Accutronitis

Registered
Actually, the last of the 2362 "B" case Accutrons had an M5 date code. They were "Railroad Approved" similar to the Model "201" but with a 24-hour dial and from watching them come and go on eBay for almost a decade, I can say that the majority of those came out of Canada.

Our subject Accutron is a Model "205" with the catalog #21002. The Model "205" was third in sequence after the Spaceview "B" and "C" and it was advertised as early as 1962. I am uncertain about the date code on those but the majority probably had an M3 date.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is safe to say then that the movement is not original to the watch and the case back certainly is not.

Also after browsing around this forum and seeing peoples collections and all the different models, I've come to the conclusion that I need more money to buy some! :)

Thank you all so much for your time with this and sharing your excellent knowledge about these awesome watches!

Registered
Also after browsing around this forum and seeing peoples collections and all the different models, I've come to the conclusion that I need more money to buy some! :)
This is great! Just please don't bid against me :lol:

Seriously though, welcome to the forum.

Eric

Registered
NeedMoreTime, Sam2 is referring to the case style number. With this number you can use the ABC (Accutron, Bulova, Caravelle) case parts catalog to find corresponding #'s of certain case parts, such as crystal, crown, etc. I was actually wondering why someone didn't ask you for this number earlier, as it should assist in answering your questions.

Eric

What would those numbers mean by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
The dashto case number research page is one I go to a lot when looking for Bulova Case info but that page is not without it's flaws like with the Astronaut case being listed as "1194", I sent him alot of picture of cases and numbers that I have verified (mostly all Swiss made) and he hasn't used one of them, and I emailed him the correct case number for a Astronaut case and he still hasn't changed it, Oh well what can you do as some people you just can't help.......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The case #2531 matches the case to my N5 Spaceview exactly. So out of curiosity, I just now took off the case back to my Spaceview and at the top it is stamped with black ink #1094, but there is a small engraving of the #2531. I did not see the #1094 on his page. Here is a photo of my Spaceview. So what does the #1094 mean then, and why would they engrave 2531 on it?

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Emblem

Banned
The case #2531 matches the case to my N5 Spaceview exactly. So out of curiosity, I just now took off the case back to my Spaceview and at the top it is stamped with black ink #1094, but there is a small engraving of the #2531. I did not see the #1094 on his page. Here is a photo of my Spaceview. So what does the #1094 mean then, and why would they engrave 2531 on it?

View attachment 100058
Can you take a clear picture of it and post it ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.