WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Looking for a watchmaker to service / restore my Bulova Oceanographer "Devil Diver"

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Accutimer 
#1 ·
Looking for a watchmaker to service / restore my Bulova Oceanographer "Devil Diver"

Was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a watchmaker to restore / service my Bulova Oceanographer “Devil Diver”? I am semi new to watch collecting and don’t have a watchmaker who is good with vintage watches. I live in the Chicago area and would love to find someone local but also wouldn't mind sending the watch out.

Watch seems to be in completely original shape minus the twist-o-flex band. Runs but about 3 mins fast per day. Will need a new crystal and some work on the bezel which is seized due to gunkiness. Purchased this watch from an estate sale. Placed a bid on the watch and ended up getting it!

Thanks in advance,
Ryan Thomas

#3 · (Edited)
Surprisingly, we dont always have to run to the NAWCC board to get questions answered or solve problems. :glare: A friend of mine who lived in Chicago up until a couple of years ago would use A D Watch Repair on North Lincoln Ave for his vintage Gruens. Father Time Antiques on West Belmont has a decent reputation also although i've heard they can be a bit pricey. Both of those shops are in the Irving Park area.

#5 ·
Building upon what mikeyt_53 said, you could also go to neighbors, any local relatives, or co-workers, and ask them where they take their
watches when repairs are needed.

#7 ·
Here is a pic of the watch. Kinda tough to see due to the scratched up crystal. Thank you for all the suggestions. Gonna be going with Chris cause that seems to be the best option. MikeyT thank you for the suggestions downtown. Definitely gonna check those out. As far as local repair I've had trouble finding anyone I can trust. I'm in the north suburbs of Chicago and everyone I've encountered up here either sends their watches out or prices were ridiculous. Would feel more comfortable sending it to Chris.

Thanks Again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.