WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Any recommendations for a Seiko 5? I’d like to try one after seeing others post their beauties. Don’t know much about them. $150.00 or less, used or new, running well, mechanical movement. Is Amazon a good place to buy one? I’d rather buy one from a forum member, or trade. They look like fun watches, with a neat history. Thank you for your time.

· Super Moderator
17,208 Posts
I happily purchased my Citizen A-T Skyhawk from Amazon without as much as a hint of a problem. In fact they had a model with a rubber strap that allowed me to save close to $200 over the ones with stainless steel bracelets. I hate rubber straps, but the savings was so considerable, there was no way I could ignore it.
Just remember Amazon isn't selling this stuff per se , it is merely the "distribution agent for the actual seller of the merchandise. But again: no problems!
May I recommend that you try to make sure the watch you order has a solid link bracelet, My Seiko 5 came with a bracelet made of hollow links. It feels and sounds cheap... like the lowest possible grade of SS was used. That bracelet ALMOST made me regret buying that watch!
I COULD NOT throw that bracelet away fast enough. But that meant I couldn't wear the watch until I scored a replcement bracelet.

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I've owned several over the years. I liked them. I don't currently own any as my tastes have migrated some but they are still a nice watch. My only comment on (you wanting to buy one from a member or trade) is for the relatively inexpensive NEW price compared to hoping the (used watch you search for) was properly maintained and not abused would lead me to always buy a new one. Warranty, new condition, and knowing it's not found its way into poor handling is a great piece of mind. I have found so many people really don't treat that kind of watch like they are handling 18kt solid gold. I purchased several on Amazon.

Reactions: CometHunter

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I was looking over some past Seiko 5 Amazon purchases. As you can see this one I bought in 2012, I looked at the original purchase price. It was $63.23. Talk about inflation.

Watch Analog watch Product Rectangle Font

Reactions: AnimalChin

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya that’s a bit of inflation. Nice looking watch. I really like how the bracelet ends match so well to the lugs/case. So clean looking. In reading about the Seiko 5 history it seems like the movement is made really well. I’ve been so into the U.S. vintage watches, Seiko weren’t on my radar till this forum. Thanks.

· Super Moderator
17,208 Posts
I was looking over some past Seiko 5 Amazon purchases. As you can see this one I bought in 2012, I looked at the original purchase price. It was $63.23. Talk about inflation.
It's like that all over the place. Percentage-wise, Rolex is no different. The humble black & SS rollie Submariner that now sells for $10,900 had a MSRP price under three thousand US dollars when I first joined WTF.

Reactions: AnimalChin

· Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. Any recommendations for a Seiko 5? I’d like to try one after seeing others post their beauties. Don’t know much about them. $150.00 or less, used or new, running well, mechanical movement. Is Amazon a good place to buy one? I’d rather buy one from a forum member, or trade. They look like fun watches, with a neat history. Thank you for your time.
This Seiko SNZG13is on Amazon for $199 new. Are you looking for anything specific?
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s a nice one Sprogo. I’m kinda liking the snkl84 with the two tone bracelet. I appreciate the info though. I’m into watches with a little bling right now. Not over the top though, thanks again

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks SFwatchguy. I didn’t know you couldn’t hand wind the older movements. That’s good info. I do like the one you posted. Not really into dauphine hands right now. I know, kinda picky but I’m liking the square ish hands. What’s the new movement that’s hand windable? I do appreciate everyone’s help. Is there a gold one, or two tone, with new movements?

· Super Moderator
5,683 Posts
Thanks SFwatchguy. I didn’t know you couldn’t hand wind the older movements. That’s good info. I do like the one you posted. Not really into dauphine hands right now. I know, kinda picky but I’m liking the square ish hands. What’s the new movement that’s hand windable? I do appreciate everyone’s help. Is there a gold one, or two tone, with new movements?
There's this one.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

1 - 20 of 31 Posts