WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my first non-digital watch was some japanese movement piece from a Honda dealer for a low, low $30 or $40. i've had it for several years, dropped it a few times, changed the battery a few times, but ultimately thought it to be broken. there's a few stupid assumptions i've made since then, but we'll just say i need a new watch.

so having been bequeathed an amazon gift cert, i've bought a few things, but ultimately still have the major question hanging over my head. what to buy (watch-wise)? well, i've pretty much settled on Seiko (a female friend kinda wants a Diesel on me, but i'd say "something reliable" is a good starting point, and something to fall back upon if i ever get another watch that looks cool but goes belly up).

well, after some research, (the link to an article on the 7S26 movement from wikipedia) i've circled back upon something i'd found i'd liked before i read the article, an SNK795K1. i'm not sure *what* exactly prompted my paranoia-sense to start to tingle, but some of the other watch descriptions (or lack thereof) may have triggered it. oh, that and the fact that the SNK series doesn't show up on the Seiko website (i'm assuming this may be an internaltional line, then?).

so after not finding much in the way of "how to distinguish a fake Seiko from a legit one" i'm left with these questions...

-can a legit, trustable (entry level) Seiko be found for $75?
-if so, how about a Seiko 5? (that SNK807K2 from the thread looks pretty darn nifty (and i think i'd prefer its cloth band). it's a pity i didn't see it on amazon...)
-how much movement does a self winding watch really need? i do tech support for an ISP (essentially), so, while i'm not ENTIRELY stationary, my hands are moving at least a weeee bit quite often. (i also have a bit of a restless leg, and i rest my watch arm on it from time to time, so i wonder if that will help ;)
-IF a line i buy is not availible in the US (or listed on their site), how does that impact repair or warranty (granted watch comes with all papers and such)?

sorry if these are all answered in an FAQ somewhere. i didn't see any stickied or any BIG SHOUTING CAPS pointing at an FAQ like doom9 or hydrogenaudio, the last boards i hung out regularly... i'll look around, tho ;)

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Hi Plonk420,

Seiko offers a lot watches for your money whether they be entry level or the high end models. Their 7s26 is a very reliable workhorse that keeps decent time and will last for years.

Both the models you looked at are good watches. The Seiko SNK807K2 is more of a classic military style watch at great value. My son have the SNKE63K1;

As to online purchases, some dealers offer very cheap pricing but sells without warranty, original box and manual. If you want the warranty and full package, you may have to pay a little more. I dont care about the warranty if it is a cheap watch as Seiko 7s26 can be repaired or replaced without much cost or hassle. But since you are redeeming the gift coupon at Amazon it should be worry free as Amazon sells them with full warranty AFAIK. All the best.:)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Hello Plonk420, and a very warm welcome to our forum!

I think Bullosa pretty much said it all. I love Seiko 5 watches. They are an incredible value, and have been known to run for 15 to 25 years without any service. To buy a Seiko 5 at the price you mentioned, you would have to go grey market; that means no box, no papers, no warranty. Seiko watches tend to be trouble free, but there is always a small risk. If you insist on full protection (box, papers, warranty, and an authorized seller who will stand behind the watch, then you should check out our forum sponsor Discount Watch Store. They will match or beat the price of any other authorized dealer, and they support our forum. You may also want to look into Orient's low end watches as well. They are partially owned by Seiko, also make their own in-house movements, last forever, and are also great values. Welcome once again, and if you need more help, just ask!

Also be sure to check out our sub-forum "Links & Other Info Resources about J&A Watches"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are watches kinda like computer parts? they'll either fail in the first 3-9 months or last their their life expectancy +/- 20%? or are part wearing a lot more subtle? (i'm a computer geek ^_^)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
are watches kinda like computer parts? they'll either fail in the first 3-9 months or last their their life expectancy +/- 20%? or are part wearing a lot more subtle? (i'm a computer geek ^_^)
For mechanical Seiko's, I would think any fail would surface within the first half a year or sooner.
After that, it will take an unfortunate slam into a wall to mess things up! :eek:hmy: :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hrm, this is a toughie. if i go from a place with guaranteed warranty, i'm looking at an SGFA03 or SNZ301K... still leaning towards Amazon as it would only be ~$40 out of my own pocket... but to not have to pay for a sizing would be nice.

also, one review of a self-winding watch seemed a bit worrysome "mine stopped while i was watching tv", but that could possibly be attributed to being a lethargic, lazy, couch potato bugger. oh the decisions! i'll prolly have to sleep on this for a few :)

thanks for the input so far, tho!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
hrm, this is a toughie. if i go from a place with guaranteed warranty, i'm looking at an SGFA03 or SNZ301K... still leaning towards Amazon as it would only be ~$40 out of my own pocket... but to not have to pay for a sizing would be nice.

thanks for the input so far, tho!
Resizing the Seiko5 is an easy 2 minute job. Most of them come with folded link bracelet. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess i'll have to take a look at that in person (to see how it works). my dad just got a watch with a folding link bracelet watch for christmas.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

a warm WELCOME from me also Mr Plonk420:thumbup1:

the Seiko is a great way to go, and as my Amigo Mr Watchman and others suggested so is the Orient line. I really don't see a way to go wrong with either, just find one you like with the price you want to pay and enjoy it.

One of the 7s26 Seiko divers I have had for about 11 years I recently spotted for less than $200. mine has been subjected to very severe , heavy use over the years and has had a full service about 4 months ago.
IMHO these watches are underpriced (way) for the value and quality you get.

when you find the right one for you, you'll love it.
BTW, when you get it, we'd love to see pics,

thanks for coming in to see us, hope you can hang around with us:thumbup:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
thanks guys, i'll try to keep you posted!
One last word on full warranty! Seiko has one of the finest customer service departments around. In the unlikely event you need something, the extra you pay would be well worth it. If you don't care about warranty, look at buying a higher end Seiko that is used. That is another way to save.

You as mentioned could also look at some of our sponsors. I think the best you can do is brand new, from an autorized dealer, at a fair price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
this watch decision is killing me X)

i co-worker just walked by who has a kinetic watch (diff brand) that he has no trouble with keeping it running unless he doesn't wear his for a day or two. so that's gotten me interested in a Seiko kinetic/self-winding one again...

it seems to come down to: get a grey market watch (SNK795K1) which has the likelyhood of being just as high quality (at least i'd hope) as a more expensive, but warranty-covered North American model out of my price range (timeliness is a bit of a factor, otherwise i'd save up for one that perfect one that fits all things i'm looking for) or a non-kinetic, (non shock protected?) SGFA03 which i think is covered domestically.

one question i DO have is: is the likelyhood of a Seiko fake at this price range a considerable possibility?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
this watch decision is killing me X)

i co-worker just walked by who has a kinetic watch (diff brand) that he has no trouble with keeping it running unless he doesn't wear his for a day or two. so that's gotten me interested in a Seiko kinetic/self-winding one again...

it seems to come down to: get a grey market watch (SNK795K1) which has the likelyhood of being just as high quality (at least i'd hope) as a more expensive, but warranty-covered North American model out of my price range (timeliness is a bit of a factor, otherwise i'd save up for one that perfect one that fits all things i'm looking for) or a non-kinetic, (non shock protected?) SGFA03 which i think is covered domestically.

one question i DO have is: is the likelyhood of a Seiko fake at this price range a considerable possibility?
If his is running down in a day or two it is either, not a kinetic and actually a self winding mechanical or, a kinetic that is in desperate need of a new cell.

A self winder is a mechanical watch just like you manually wind, with a main spring but it is built to wind as you move. If you do not move the watch, it is the same thing as taking your manual wind watch and laying it down for a couple days. It runs down. A kinetic is a quartz movement with a rechargeable cell that works just like the battery in any quartz watch. However, by wearing and moving the watch you "charge" that cell. A full charge will last up to six months. I wear my kinetic a couple times a week and the charge stays in about the four month stage. That is another thing with a kinetic. You can check the charge on it and, when it gets low, the second hand moves in two second increments instead of one second increments, all the while keeping good time.

Here is a picture of my Seiko kinetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry, i guess i'm confusing terms. i thought they were the same thing. self winding is what i meant, in that case...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

That's a nice clean dial on that Kinetic. When they first were introduced, it was the dial on the watch that turned me off of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts